Gwydion Stone

Absinthe Marteau and Gnostalgic Distillery

I can even learn to like orris root onacuz I ain't no food baby. :)

It's in such tiny proportions one can't really make it out. It's just a very light floral note.

Does Marteau contain fenugreek? I've always wondered.

Nope. I played with fenugreek and celery seed in Verte Classique. I was using them to try to replicate parts of a particular maple-y, antique-oak-bookcase, grandma's-vintage-leather-purse, fragrance from the first pre-ban I ever tasted, an Edouard. This was pretty early on; I later found out that the characteristics I was looking for both came from a particular type of fennel.

I'm surprised Hemlock needles and twigs are on that approved list.

That's Tsuga species, the hemlock conifers. Poison hemlock is Conium maculatum which, ironically, is in the apiaceae family with fennel, anise, dill, parsley, etc. The trees apparently got the common name "Hemlock" because the needles smell similar to the poison hemlock.

I played with fenugreek and celery seed in Verte Classique. I was using them to try to replicate parts of a particular maple-y, antique-oak-bookcase, grandma's-vintage-leather-purse, fragrance from the first pre-ban I ever tasted, an Edouard.

That's it. I noticed it in an earlier version in a much more pronounced way. It was more on the smell than taste aspect, but I loved it. I'm a maple junky.

I'm surprised Hemlock needles and twigs are on that approved list.

That's Tsuga species, the hemlock conifers. Poison hemlock is Conium maculatum which, ironically, is in the apiaceae family with fennel, anise, dill, parsley, etc. The trees apparently got the common name "Hemlock" because the needles smell similar to the poison hemlock.

That makes a lot more sense. When people ask about Poison Hemlock at work I usually hold up some Fennel to show, and cut open a mousy Parsnip for smell. If you get the smell and look in the same plant it's bad news.

I can even learn to like orris root onacuz I ain't no food baby. :)

It's in such tiny proportions one can't really make it out. It's just a very light floral note.

Okay, now I'm completely convinced. :cheers:

Blues Cat on Saturday and the legendary Marteau on Sunday. The gods are truly smiling upon us. I have heard many wonderful things about this Marteau, but not yet had the pleasure of tasting it for my self. Tell me, what would be the quickest way for me to get a bottle of my very own here in Oregon?

Sorry to jump the gun there and post before reading the previous page.

It'll probably be more economical to just pick it up from your local OLCC store.

Oh, what a lovely picture you paint, but I'm afraid you overestimate our state liquor nazis authority. I searched their site in vane.

Then again, maybe I should wait for the opening of business on the day after bottling before I panic.

Sorry, man. Patience has never been my strong suite.

Congratulations! I'm glad you're back in the game.

Hearty congrats, G! :cheers:

That's some smooth teamwork, right there.

Someone on that bottling team surprised me, but in a really good way. ;)

Edited by Absomphe

Great news!! Marteau is a great absinthe, I cherished the full sized sample that I got earlier this year, it kept me green during a tough time.

Very exciting! I've heard so much about this product I can't wait to try it. Will it once again be available from DUNY? The web site still says No ETA. My mouth is watering...

Thanks folks, I'm pretty stoked.

I like Pete's big injection scene.

That's the thujone he's injecting there.

Congrats, Gwydion! How would you say this batch compares to the first?

This one is more recent? :poke: I did a side-by-side taste with this batch and the 2009 bottling this morning (tough job, but someone has to do it) and I was surprised at how similar they were. I expect once the still shock wears off in another week or so, it'll be hard to tell them apart.

Very exciting! I've heard so much about this product I can't wait to try it. Will it once again be available from DUNY? The web site still says No ETA. My mouth is watering...
It will be available at drinkupny.com as soon as the state registration goes through. I wish it was as easy as just shipping some cases off to NY, but there are hoops. Mid-June, maybe?

Not sure who you mean.*

I saw a clown or two, but nobody in makeup. :laugh:

* Although, your question/speculation is probably more amusing than you realize. :)

:yahoo: Congrats Gwydion! And thanks for posting the video. I hadn't ever really thought about things like how a commercial by-hand bottling line gets an accurate fill. It goes a bit beyond my homebrewing experience of "fill until mostly full and then slap a cap on it."

Congrats, Gwydion! How would you say this batch compares to the first?

This one is more recent? :poke: I did a side-by-side taste with this batch and the 2009 bottling this morning (tough job, but someone has to do it) and I was surprised at how similar they were. I expect once the still shock wears off in another week or so, it'll be hard to tell them apart.

Good to know! In my experience a producer's second round often differs from the first, that's why I asked.

Edited by Phoenix

Blues Cat on Saturday and the legendary Marteau on Sunday. The gods are truly smiling upon us.
No kidding!

Congrats Gwydion I can't wait to get my hands on another bottle!