Sign in to follow this  
Asmodai

A forgotten bottle

I bought this...stashed it away as I had a couple other open bottles at the time and forgot about it for 4 years. I have been wracking my normally befuddled mind for info on this bottle. I was a member here long ago and know there are many knowledgeable folk that call this forum home and I hope someone will remind me of just what I have here...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/re.../absuisse-1.jpg

absuisse-1.jpg

post-3102-1282705354_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing you didn't learn to use the search feature in your previous membership. ;)

Start here and see if it jogs your memory. If it doesn't, I'll give you 5 bucks for it.

Nice to see sarcasm levels are still about the same... ;)

If I am correct that is an (essai 5) in that link...not the same as I posted

I did find an old post from 2006 on the (essai 2) but it contained very little info...just several people saying "I want to taste it", not particularly helpful. The link provided did help as I did not find that in my search...thanks for that.

Edited by Asmodai

Essai gets good reviews; the review section should have all you need info wise. I say pop that cork and enjoy it if absinthe is still your thing.

Ideally I would like to share it with others but the chances of an absinthe tasting party here in Indiana is pretty low to say the least. Will letting it age further be beneficial? I have heard pros and cons on aging...I know the 60 year old Bottle in Bond Old Granddad was rather nice.

what is with all the "stand it up" hysteria...no one here ever lays something on it's side for a pic? Do you think it has been laying on my computer chair for the last four years?..... :tongue:

I still have a couple other bottles that are younger than the Essai that I can drink first and as I drink quite seldom they may last me two or more years. If the consensus is let it age I will...perhaps a couple years from now it will be time for a tasting party.

Edited by Asmodai

With that high ABV (in Blanche Traditionelle's case VERY high), one can just imagine that cork getting eaten away and the absinthe getting corky. A lot of people really take that tip to heart when learning Storing Absinthe 101. I figure it's because the upright thing is a bit different than wine- or maybe it's because one REALLY wouldn't want to go sideways with a bottle of pre-ban.

In fact, even if it was on its side for just a few minutes to take the pics, it's probably ruined. I'll be glad to dispose of it for you at no cost. :harhar:

I appreciate the offer Green Baron but I would never risk the health of a fellow absintheur with such a dangerous product. I will slowly dispose of this an ounce or two at a time to make sure it doesn't harm my pipes...