Sign in to follow this  
Voski

Absente

I'm totally new to absinthe. I've always wanted to try it and a couple of days I stumbled upon something saying they sell it in US now. So, instantly I called every liquor store (I live in Huntsville, Alabama) and found one bottle. I went and got it, it is a Absente brand, which cost me around $65. I would like to know the reviews on it, like I said first time ever drinking it. I know its not the "real deal" that comes from over seas. But whats everyone's take on that brand and also the brand Lucid.

Lucid and Absente is the only two I heard of that are sold around where I live. Thank you, hoping to save money and have a bottle imported or have a buddy bring it back from overseas.

Hi Voski in Huntsville. You'll probably want to check out the FAQ and Read This First links, then familiarize yourself with the basic rules here. And definitely stop by the Newcomer section to introduce yourself and be greeted properly.

To answer your question, there are two versions of Absente. One without wormwood (not absinthe), and one with wormwood (absinthe, albeit a very crappy one). Both are pretty garbage, but don't take my word for it!

Absente

Grand Absente

Here are some discussions on the brand, which can be found with a search.

Here.

Here.

Here.

I know its not the "real deal" that comes from over seas. But whats everyone's take on that brand and also the brand Lucid.

In fact, there is plenty of the "real deal" made in the United States. Among American absinthes, I particularly like Marteau and Walton Waters. Others around here are fond of Pacifique, Vieux Carre, and the Leopold.

Do explore the main site; you should be able to find a vendor who can get you a bottle of something good. The review section will help in deciding what to buy next.

Lucid is okay; unspectacular, but not horrible.

Absente is actually the first thing approaching absinthe that I ever had. It is actually what got me in to absinthe. I would never buy it again, but at the time, I genuinely enjoyed it.

By the way, as a fellow Alabamian, I met some really great folks at a conference recently who were from Calhoun Community College. It is apparently near Huntsville. Are you familiar with it?

There a few places in Huntsville that carry Lucid, which I would recommend trying if you don't want to order from the internet. I must admit nothing beats having a nice cold glass of absinthe on a humid Alabama night!