Danny Hawaii

Lemercier 72 faulty?

Well, here's a post I never expected to make. A family friend is visiting from overseas and bought me a bottle of this as a present. After a very slow louche, the drink is amazingly clear, almost disturbingly so. I louched a couple just to make sure and only got a slightly better result. Have a look at my crappy iPhone pic of it:

4406253764_7d6231fddd.jpg

I haven't had Lemercier since March 2008 and it looked like this:

2332419433_4cf32b381f.jpg

I'm wondering if it's worth taking back to the store. Although I doubt that I'd be able to explain it to the staff who most probably have no idea what absinthe is.

Any ideas why this might be so extremely thin in the louche? Too long on the shelf? Bad batch? New recipe (improved! no louche!)?

Edited by Danny Hawaii

Bah...the pics are blocked here at work. I'll have to weigh in when I get home. I've never had a problem with the louche on the two bottles of their products. Werid.

Not sure what's going on. My bottle of LA72 is over five years old and still louches up nice and thick (and tastes better every year).

Pheew! And I thought that my louche was a bit weak, but it actally seems to be like your previous occation (from march 2008)? I've described my impressions here, but from your second image I guess that my louche was quite alright.. :unsure:

p1000582q.jpg

Your most recent drink seems to me be really bad, at least when it comes to louching or clouding up! But I don't know what has happened, due to my inexperience I guess..

(As I've understood it the two images (in the first post) are from two different occations?)

Seth

Unless they've changed up the formula for some very bad reason, they must have decided to bottle and sell a bunk batch, because that looks like shit.

There are loads of variables here, though. Temperature of the absinthe, temperature of the water, dose-to-water ratio. I'd like to think this wasn't some kind of oversight or purposeful move on the part of the distillery, but I'm taking your word for it.

Good luck on a refund. Not a chance in hell you'll see one, unfortunately.