SethP

Hi there, from Sweden!

Podner? :unsure: I guess it means just about what it sounds like, pronounced?

Heard quite often here in Texas, used interchangeably with Howdy Neighbor

Howdy Seth :wave2:

What the Cowboy From Hell said. It's heard 'round these parts too occasionally.

Anyway: Howdy to you too! .. and..

Verte de Fougerolles is ordered, as is Lemercier Abisinthe! :biggrin:

(I explained it a little bit more in my "other" thread about just this topic, in post no. 14.)

Yeah, I saw that thread after I posted on this thread. If for whatever possible reason, you absolutely hate it let me know. I have a portable VdF converter/disposal unit lying around here somewhere... :twitchsmile:

Hello to everyone! :wave2:

I'm a guy from Sweden, living in a rather small town called Mariestad, who's recently been updated with the legal status of absinthe here in Sweden* (and in the world aswell). From this you could probably guess that I haven't really searched info about absinthe in the past. But that's going to change now (and it has already changed)!

Due to it's sort of cultural reputation and from some info about what it taste like, I've become quite interested in the drink. I've actually not tried any absinthe yet so you can certainly call me a total n00b, a newbie or what-ever. But: Soon (very soon I hope) I'll be trying my first bottle of (I hope) a nice representation of what this drink should taste like.

I'm thinking about ordering a bottle of Mercier Abisinthe 72 (not the Amer/bitter one) as this one, from what I've found, is a rather good choice for a beginner (or maybe something of a future Absintheur (or Absinthist ;) )). My second hand choice right now is Verte de Fougerolles, but from what I can understand the louche is very thick and quite pale in this one, even though the taste should be maybe "better" (for me like how a decent absinthe should taste).. or am I wrong?

Well. Anyway. I think I've got a pleasant and rather interesting future ahead of me, regarding this absinthe thing at least.

:cheers: from

Seth

*) Here in Sweden absinthe has actually never (!?) been forbidden or banned.

Edit: Please inform me if my avatar is already being used on this forum.. (Just in case someone else gets a bit annoyed from me using his or hers kind of avatar.)

Seth, hi. I'm new too, but have found a list of top ten absinthes, recommended by the true connoiseurs in the Bistro forum, under the "absinthe brand discussion" thread. I learned a lot from just reviewing those lists. Like you, I also asked for recommendations of which absinthe to savor first, and received the following: Walton Waters, Marteau, and Sazeras. Have not had time to run those down yet, since I'm researching Leopold Brothers' absinthe. I just learned they closed in Ann Arbor and moved operations to Denver. Their recipe, or so they say, is based on an old Swiss recipe, or distilling process, so I think I'll begin there, keeping in mind the other three anbsinthes recommeded for me by the forum. I find it interesting that for those of us who've never tasted absinthe, obtaining the first bottle and savoring it - is a ritual, a sort of rite of passage. Welcome, Seth, and I look forward to hearing about your first time.

Welcome Seth. :cheers:

I also asked for recommendations of which absinthe to savor first, and received the following: Walton Waters, Marteau, and Sazeras.

Just FYI, the name is actually Marteau, without the x, and a Sazerac is a cocktail made with rye whiskey and a dash of absinthe.

Thanks, Gwydion, I've been on your site and since learned the correct spelling. I'm a writer, so such things do matter; I'm happy to see you also care. Yes, I could not find "Sazeras" under "absinthe" as I conducted my searches (too darn hilarious - my brain just kept wanting to see the "Sazeras" absinthe). I learn the hard way, but once I do, I never forget; well, hardly ever. Both of the online sites linked to your Marteau site do not have your Belle Epoque, so I'll wait for that and, meantime, move on to the Walton Waters. Thanks, Gwydion.

a Sazerac is a cocktail made with rye whiskey and a dash of absinthe.

Replace the rye with cognac and it's a Heavenly thing, smooth as silk.

(That Marteau-stuff is fantastic in it. You probably knew that, though.)

. Have not had time to run those down yet, since I'm researching Leopold Brothers' absinthe. I just learned they closed in Ann Arbor and moved operations to Denver. Their recipe, or so they say, is based on an old Swiss recipe, or distilling process, so I think I'll begin there, keeping in mind the other three anbsinthes recommeded for me by the forum.

To clarify, we don't use an old recipe, per se. We just distill and color/aromatize our Absinthe in the traditional manner. That statement you found is simply to help people to understand that that this is traditionally distilled absinthe.....as opposed to the artificially colored, oil mixture crap.

:cheers: to everyone!

[...]

Seth, hi. I'm new too, but have found a list of top ten absinthes, recommended by the true connoiseurs in the Bistro forum, under the "absinthe brand discussion" thread. I learned a lot from just reviewing those lists. [...] I find it interesting that for those of us who've never tasted absinthe, obtaining the first bottle and savoring it - is a ritual, a sort of rite of passage. Welcome, Seth, and I look forward to hearing about your first time.

Hi there, Mary!

I've already lost my absinthe virginity, so to speak and in case you didn't know yet, and it was really delightful, actually! Maybe the first sip or two was kind'a peculiar and somewhat strange.. Before absinthe the closest thing for me has been the usual (no wormwood) Pernod but it was quite a long time ago, and I've never actually tried Ouzo, so..

But it only took a drink (a glass) to really get the taste for it! And I'm very happy to say that I like the stuff, so it is no longer just for the myth and the culture I like absinthe.

I've written about my experience in this thread, beginning in post # 26.

By the way: One of these days (?) I think I really have to try a bad and/or synthetic kind of absynthe(tic) too, only to gather also that experience. ;) For the time being though I'll keep to the good stuff I guess..

SethP

By the way: One of these days (?) I think I really have to try a bad and/or synthetic kind of absynthe(tic) too, only to gather also that experience.

Actually not a terrible idea. It really gives you a new appreciation for the truly good stuff. Expand that palate. Just don't taint it, or spend too much on the inferior brands.

;)

No. I don't wanna "burn" my taste buds, or my absinthe. ;) .. And (right now) my funds is somewhat limited. But I think I'll have to try the bad stuff some day anyway.. risking :dead: .

Edited by SethP

Having started my absinthe journey with Czechsinthe, I would discourage seeking it out. After all, dollars wasted on junk are dollars that can never be spent on the good stuff.

Even though I have never been whipped in the face with a dead cat, it's still not something I feel I need to experience in order to have lived a full life.

Actually, if you look closely, Vinny is holding up that bottle and shaking his head side to side saying "No"!

Ha! I've always hated that image - the mental illness of a poor, dead guy being used to promote crappy absinthe - but with that explanation, it suddenly makes sense.

Oh, and welcome, SethP!

Davs, Gertz! :cheers:

I also liked that explanation a lot and without it I even thought of replacing that avatar, but with this explanation in mind I think I can live with my choice. ;)

Otherwise I just found that image to be both colourful and (sort of) vivid.

You don't have to search for bad booze. Bad booze will find you!

[...]

Having started my absinthe journey with Czechsinthe, I would discourage seeking it out. After all, dollars wasted on junk are dollars that can never be spent on the good stuff.

[...]

True! So very true.

But I also find it kind of necessary to try some bad Czechsinthe or absynthe(-tic) someday, somehow.. I don't feel it's an imminent urge at all, but.. Well, I think bad booze will eventually find its way to me as OMG_Bill put it!

I hereby just wanna report that I've now changed my avatar, since yesterday I believe!

The new one shows more of my affection for all things, to my knowledge, regarding Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor aswell as for absinthe. The image is from NIN's music video for The Perfect Drug where Trent is pouring a nice glass of the green fairy.*

I feel this image represents me a little bit better than the old one of Van Gogh (below) used in marketing a reportedly rather mediocre brand

vangoghavt.jpg

.. though shaking his head as if trying to say "No-no-no. Stay away from this!" (I still also find the colouring of this image to be quite vivid and nice.)

*) The video, by the way, was made some time ago so I don't think Trent is actually louching a glass of Mansinthe there.. ;)

How funny... I was literally just about to take a screenshot of that video to make a new avatar - and thought I would do a quick search for "Nine Inch Nails" on the forum to see if anyone else had referenced the video.

Kudos on the new avatar!

I like the new avatar...cheers.

:cheers:

Thanks! Me like it too. :)

How funny... I was literally just about to take a screenshot of that video to make a new avatar - and thought I would do a quick search for "Nine Inch Nails" on the forum to see if anyone else had referenced the video.

Kudos on the new avatar!

I don't know if anyone here has made a reference, but I guess that someone must have. I haven't actually searched (yet), so.. Anyway I just hope that this image (or a similar) hasn't already been used, or is used? :unsure:

Edit: Damn.. I just saw that the member Fixedspiral has another still from this video, but not really the "same" so I'll let mine be for the time being, until I get some critizism for it at least..

Edited by SethP