oglala56

Gin Preference

What personal preference would you rate the following Gins:

Plymouth

Hendrick's

Voyager

Leopold

Hayman's Old Tom

Or other excellent Gin's to add to or supplement the list.

Voyager is the only one of those I've tried, but it's so damn good, I don't feel like I'm missing out.

I'll bet the Leopold is excellent, though.

Voyager

Leopold

Plymouth

Hendrick's

Old Tom

That's my overall order, however, each has its own specialty and would be ordered differently for different situations.

There are also several other gins that would probably supplant the bottom three in that list.

Voyager

Leopold

Plymouth

Hendrick's

Blue Coat

Old Raj

New Amsterdam (cheap and decent)

These are in no particular order. They are used when the mood strikes. The applications are different for each one.

I haven't tried Old Tom......yet.

There are a few others I enjoy but I need to see if I can remember. I'll edit this after I get home, I'm sure.

Voyager

Plymouth

Hendrick's

Haven't had the Leopold yet.

Which old tom are you referring to? Since old tom is a style of gin, not a brand, it really can't be compared to the London dry gins. I've tried Hayman's, Ransom, and Jenson's, and a couple others I can't remember the names of. I didn't care for Ransom, it being a simple maceration and not a proper distilled gin. Of the others I haven't had enough to form a preference yet.

Voyager

Plymouth

Hendrick's

Haven't had the Leopold yet.

Which old tom are you referring to? Since old tom is a style of gin, not a brand, it really can't be compared to the London dry gins. I've tried Hayman's, Ransom, and Jenson's, and a couple others I can't remember the names of. I didn't care for Ransom, it being a simple maceration and not a proper distilled gin. Of the others I haven't had enough to form a preference yet.

Hayman's...

The Hayman’s Old Tom reminded me of a very mildly sweetened Plymouth gin, with a strong citrus note.

As others have said, it depends on how I'm drinking it and the mood I'm in.

That qualifier in place:

Plymouth (the best beginning to a Classic Martini--period)

Voyager

Leopold

Hendricks

Bluecoat

Old Raj

Plymouth definite #1 for me. Bluecoat very nice and easiest for me to get at PLCB. I wish they had Plymouth. Since they are all hard to find in many locations, I at least try and get Bombay Sapphire.

As has been pointed out, different cocktails and different moods tend to call for a different gin. That said, I'd have a hard time even putting Hendrick's in the same list as those others, it's that different. I still don't have that much experience with gin, but for me it's more like I'm either in the mood for gin, so I have to choose between one of the couple of bottles of "normal" gin I have on hand, or I'm in the mood for Hendrick's.

I've only had a taste or two of Bluecoat to this point, but I'm already wondering if I'll feel the same way about it. My early impressions were that it's way off to the citrus side, almost ahead of the juniper. I did really like it, but thought it was very idiosyncratic.

I didn't see Martin Miller's on anybody's list -- anybody tried it? Seems I've seen a couple of positive mentions of it online, but don't know that I've seen it mentioned here. I haven't tried it, but a bottle at a local liquor store has been catching my eye ...

I tried Cascade Mountain on advice of a fellow WS'er, and I have to say it's pretty tasty too. A touch hard to find though, so usually I keep a bottle of Leopold around for nice cocktails along with a 1.75 of Bombay Sapphire for run-of-the-mill mixing.

I didn't see Martin Miller's on anybody's list -- anybody tried it? Seems I've seen a couple of positive mentions of it online, but don't know that I've seen it mentioned here. I haven't tried it, but a bottle at a local liquor store has been catching my eye ...

Wonderful Gin, IMHO. The higher proof version, in particular.

Thanks Todd. A good friend has a "milestone" birthday coming up next month, he may be getting a bottle of gin :pirate: I didn't realize there were higher/lower proof versions, I'll have to do a bit more research.

Can anyone who's tried both comment on the flavor profiles / characteristics of Voyager vs. Bluecoat Gins? I want to support these distilleries in particular because they both make high quality absinthes. I am about to purchase a replacement for an empty Hendrick's bottle, and wanted to get an idea of which I might enjoy most. I am predominantly a Hendrick's drinker right now, I like its floral nose and citrusy finish. What might I enjoy about either of the aforementioned brands?

Thanks!! :)

It has been awhile since I've had the Bluecoat and my Voyager just ran out a few days ago so don't consider this a spot-on review but memories from a fading mind. That caveat in place, both are delicious and I'm sad to be out of them. The Bluecoat is heavier in juniper and citrus and the Voyager, herbally more complex and subtle. I think the base provides the foundation for the Bluecoat and becomes part of the gin's flavor. In Voyager, the base is a very clean vehicle that adds nothing to the rich herb flavor.

Someone with better words and memory are welcome to correct me.

Both are extremely well-crafted gins and have a loving spot reserved for them in my bar.

I think you are spot on. I created Voyager with the specific intent of being a complex, yet subtle gin while keeping true to the London Dry style. I did not want a "juniper bomb" because they already exist.

I'll get my first drink of Voyager on Christmas day, after I encourage my father-in-law to open his gift. ;>

Right now I'm drinking my current new favorite-- Whitley Neill -- straight up. Really interesting profile, definitely not your typical herbs. Its nuances disappear under vermouth (Cinzano, at the moment) so definitely not a martini gin. I think it would be lovely with a good tonic (which I don't have, damn the luck).