seeker of truth

I just broke the top of the T cork off of my bottle

I went to open my bottle of Marteau Verte Classique and tore the top of the cork right off. I feel pretty dumb right now. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am afraid that if I use a cork screw or church key that I'll inadvertently shove the rest of the cork down the neck. I have had this bottle for well over a year now hidden in the back of my closet & decided to finally try it. I've been thwarted... for now.

Haha, yes!

I have a bottle of Eichelberger limitee that did that on the first open....

had to fish out bits of cork and find a replacement

the neck is really thin so the replacement was hard

It happens. Use a very sharp cork screw and go very slowly but firmly.

Thats how I like to roll Gwydion, sort of like "speak softly and carry a big stick."

:cheers:

It happens sometimes....I use the foil cutter from one corkscrew and slide gently down one side of the cork..not far but just enough to hold the cork piece while I use a very sharp cork screw to gently but firmly screw into the cork and then lift out gently. I use the waiter corkscrew that has the two lift segments to pull out the cork.

happened with my first bottle of La Coquette. I managed to get it out and replaced it with the old VdF t-cork. I had a much more challenging experience with my first few bottles of Jade PF 1901.  :dry: You know, before I knew the old squeeze-the-bottle trick.

Just place it on your kitchen range (electric or gas) with the burner on low. Soon, your problem will be solved.

My attorney has advised me to use the :sarc: emoticon to ward off potential lawsuits in case someone is dumb enough to try placing a bottle of absinthe on a kitchen burner. I wasn't really trying to be sarcastic but just funny.

I hope your eyebrows grow back soon. Really.

Knock off all the little pieces and just shove the cork into the bottle. Pour the contents into another vessel. Do this:

Then pour the booze back in the bottle. Make sure the bottle is free of cork debris.

It works, I've done it more than once.

Enjoy! *smile*

Knock off all the little pieces and just shove the cork into the bottle. Pour the contents into another vessel. Do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKhOG7duR9k

Then pour the booze back in the bottle. Make sure the bottle is free of cork debris.

It works, I've done it more than once.

Enjoy! *smile*

Thats a great video...

That one is, for sure.

If you want to get really complex about it, I have found that a variable speed drill, phillips head bit, and a 1 3/4" drywall screw works quite well as a corkscrew for difficult cases. Just sayin'. ;)

I have been using a "wedge-type" cork remover on broken corks for years.Like this one here:

AF-4134.jpg

I find that it SOMETIMES may slightly damage the top 1/3 of the cork, but the rest remains perfect, because it doesnt drill cork out, it compresses it inward instead.

One of those saved my butt when my screw-type corkscrew pulled out the top 3/4 or so of the cork from a bottle of Edouard. I carefully pulled out the remaining chunk of broken cork with the above tool, and replaced with a T-cork that I had saved for just such an emergency.

Interestingly enough, this happened to me on my bottle of Marteau. I had used an old T cork, I tried to get it out but alas, I did push it down. I even emptied the bottle into another container, attempting to get it out. I could not for the life of me. So...I rinsed out any loose pieces and poured the absinthe back in.

I could not see NOT having the Marteau absinthe in the proper container. I have noticed no problem minus a little piece of cork here and there.

Now though I use the kind you pull the latch on and it expands in the bottle....oh heck, let me go find a photo.

sheesh, that was harder than I thought it would be.

CB6455_135x120.jpg

but the best part of that lengthy search was finding THIS gem! haha

Happy Man Bottle Corker

HappyManBottleCorker.JPG

sorry if this is inappropriate, I can't stop laughing though. I had to share. heh :laugh:

I second (fourth?) the ah-so suggestion- I keep one rattling around in my junk drawer for just this situation.

180px-Ah-so.png

Though I imagine you've probably found a solution by now...

I recently opened my second bottle of Kübler and the plastic top of the cork came off again. I'll haue to find a pink man that is happy enough to fit inside my Kübler bottle. :tongue:

That almost happened with the bottle of Kübler I opened the other night- I was able to stop before it broke all the way off, and by very gently twisting it, got it out. I think Kübler needs to get a better source for their corks. When I looked at it, it was porous and slightly crumbly, not a nice first-quality cork.