Gwydion Stone

Absinthe in Films

There's a scene in Jonah Hex with absinthe in it. The shot opens with a spoon, part of a glass and water dripping into it. A few seconds later we see John Malkovich's character drinking it. It looks like a modern all glass and metal spigots. I don't know when exactly it or the comic books are set, other than after the civil war, so that seemed a bit early for glass fountains, but I'm really not as educated about the history of absinthe fountains as I probably should be. The absinthe itself looked like it had a nice, real looking louche.

It surpised me to see it since my brother recommended the film to me and the best thing he had to say about it was the soundtrack, apparently done by Mastodon. :twitchsmile:

I don't know if this counts, but there's what looks like an absinthe topette in the film Freezer Burn. I don't know, I could be mistaken though.

k00s8qa2mr3m63bsbnbe.jpg

The scene doesn't have anything to do with absinthe, fortunately, since that is the least appetizing rouge I've ever seen.

Edited by baubel

Close, but not a topette! If you notice, the chambers get smaller as they go to the top, normally to maintain the dose, they get bigger as the taper narrows toward the top. You'll see at times small carafes, or oil cruets (where the chambers get smaller) advertised as topettes.

Funny! On our forum "topette" gets underlined by spell check!

Got started looking for absinthe/old movie and even though

is not old, I found it an interesting commercial. Add-on: another
Edited by techdiver

post-1809-1208999450_thumb.jpg

Yep, they poured the LTV into the goddamn fountain... :thumbdown:

Can you think of any better use for LTV?

I mean. I could maybe make the bottle into a hookah base, but, that's not the actual drink. So...

Actually now looking at it, an LTV bottle would make a KICKASS hookah base.

Anyone wanna send me a (hopefully empty) bottle? :D It'd be a great hit at the local lounge.

Edited by Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Last night's new Archer was FULL of absinthe. Both in cocktails, and in classic Pontarlier glasses. In one scene the Mother hands her glass with full reservoir to the secy saying "try not to drown it."

Too funny.

Hey guys, I was in touch with Chad Hurd, the artist who is the lead character designer for Archer.

I mentioned WS to him, and he came to visit us, liking the site. I've invited him to join our community, he's a talented artist, and seems to love absinthe. I don't know if he will, but I figured with all the creative and art loving members here, he'd fit right in. I used to be an animation artist and director, so I have a soft spot in my heart for edgy, cool artists. I know many of you love Archer, so you already know his work.

You can check out his work at Chadhurd.com

Let him know how much you like his work on Archer!

-Scott

Classic lame scene from The Tomb (2010).

Ligeia the soul stealing "vampire" pours a couple of glasses of La Fee for Professor Douche Nozzle played by Wes Bentley.

Naturally, there are the obligatory absinthe doused, lit sugar cubes.

Bentley says to newcomer actress Sofya Skya, "This stuff tastes like grain alcohol and licorice."

When she tells him it's absinthe, he, of course, replies, "Isn't that the stuff that makes you crazy. Didn't it make Van Gogh cut his ear off?".

The only decent part of the scene is her response..."No, he was already certifiable anyway."

What surprised was the throwback to La Fee. I would have thought the creators of this masterpiece could have at least filled in the absinthe blank with something a bit more trendy, like Lucid. :rolleyes:

Have that film....would have been better had they left the absinthe out of it entirely.

I'll be quite happy when the "industry" decides the "absinthe fad" is over and leaves it alone.

Not that it matters...but personally, I find it's use in film to be an unattractive aspect that lessens my viewing pleasure.

At least it never lessens the pleasure of the glass I'm drinking. :thumbup:

Season Of The Witch, not absinthe, but they do have to go through Wormwood Forest.

(Cage and Perlman)

It was kind of nice to just hear a reference to the plant, instead of watching people toss back really crappy absinthe just for the camera.

Also, the movie Blood and Chocolate, plenty of absinthe...if I remember correctly, they blow up a distillery at the end. I'll have to watch it again and PTFA. ;)

Yes Hed, I saw this last night. "Wormwood forest." No abuse of absinthe, true, but Perlman tossing back Red Bulls the whole film was just a little inaccurate for the crusades! :blink: