Sign in to follow this  
Scotteh

When to drink absinthe?

Hello! This is my first thread since my newcomer intro, and I hope it is a decent one.

My question for my fellow WS members is, what time do you most commonly enjoy your absinthe? Pre/Post Supper? Afternoon or Night? What do you usually do while you are drinking it? (music/movies/chit-chat/etc...). Do you drink it with a meal, or a snack, or by itself? I have heard before that absinthe is more commonly a pre-meal drink, is there any historical evidence floating around on this? I would love to know whether there is a "proper" green hour.

As for myself, I have been drinking my absinthe a few hours after supper, usually while watching TV or reading. Unfortunetly, I cannot get my girlfriend to try any yet, but I hope to change that!

-Scott

Traditionally, absinthe is an aperitif and I think it excels before dinner. I love a glass while I cook dinner and visit with family and friends. Occasionally, it pairs well with the menu, too. Generally, I switch to something else during and after dinner.

During Green Hour events, all bets are off and it's rare I drink anything except absinthe! :cheers:

When NOT to drink absinthe ? :)

seriously, really depends. Yes, traditionaly it's an aperitive drink.

I tend to drink it after a good meal, most of the time : I appreciate it the most when my day is complete and I am settled.

Otherwise it depends on the absinthe. Let me illustrate

Devoille (VdF, 65) : after dinner, very hot and quite the syrup, digestive

Matter, Montmartre : rather aperitive

Parisienne, Jade : a moment appart, where I settle for my glass

Addtionnaly, the season and the weather can change which one I'll drink :)

the best time to drink Absinthe is right now.

This moment is really all we have, no? :dev-cheers:

What he said.

Although 5:23 in the morning is a bit early, even for me.

Excellent, well next time I make a decent dinner I will try my absinthe while I am cooking. I am not accustomed to drinking any type of spirit before dinner, so this should be a good first.

I'm thinking a chicken piccata, with long grain and wild rice. Should be a nice change from the cereal/sandwich/bagel/whatever I can grill diet that I all too typically stay on.

:cheers:

I prefer absinthe before lunch (to get the appetite going) and in the early afternoon (to get my nap on). I save the evening hours for bourbon or Scotch. :cheers:

This weekend, Aggelos' questrion is much more proper. I've been tippling as I'm setting everything up.

Decanting all of the absinthes into their blind tasting bottles made the entire place smell amazing. I just had to louche a couple up. :cheers:

mmmmmmm.  Smell.

sometimes when I come home from work (8-10 pm) my stomach is kinda weird and I don't eat dinner till around midnight. Not so if I have a glarse upon arrival though. But I don't like to drink the stuff too close to bedtime---unless of course I am in Montana and don't have to be anywhere in particular. :wave2:

If I have absinthe after work and I havent ate anything since lunch, I'm only good for about 2-3 glasses and Im out.

If I have absinthe after I eat supper, I'm good for about 5.

I enjoy a glass before dinner, after dinner and usually drink in the evening. Unless it's during a weekend. I have on occasion indulged during lunchtime. As for what I'm doing while drinking absinthe varies depending on what life throws my way. I prefer to be relaxing, and conversating, though music and reading are pretty frequent too. One thing is for sure, I Am always enjoying the glass of absinthe that I am sipping on. The happy hour known today stemmed from the green hour.

I really like a glass of absinthe after a good dinner, as a digestif. That's not how it's supposed to be, but I still like it.