Sign in to follow this  
Le Diable Bleu

Anis-flavored liquor

Since I mainly drink my bleue at the bar in Montréal which sells absinthe (Clandestine) and am waiting for a new shipment of Taboo at my liquor board, I was searching for something to drink occasionally that was different from my usual beer, and was nearer to absinthe, with anis, without being fake absinthe, instead being a good anis liquor of it's own. I don't like spirits in general, because I abused to many times in the recent past of dry ones, and like sugared ones only occasionally. So I rejected sambuca, pastis and ouzo which is not always sugared, I think, but seems to have a vary broad range of quality, so since I'm not a connaisseur, I rejected it to.

Remained Arak and Raki. Arak seems better to me and seems to have a rich history, but since I like from time to time to make myself a good turkish cofee, I felt that Raki would be a nice choice. I like things to make sense and be coherent ;)... What are the difference between the two? Which one do you prefer as a drink?

I was also condiering bitters... What would you think of that? Which ones would you suggest?

Luscious Oily Lesbians! OK, why? See you having quite detailed discussions on other spirits, would like some details on why Arak is that much favored than Raki.

Edited by Le Diable Bleu

Easy on the t there. :twitchsmile:

I've never tried raki, but I'm interested in it. I'd like to say availability a factor the preference for arak over raki, but I could be wrong about that.

I think Baubel's onto something there.

If you decide to try arak, I'd recommend Ksarak...it's aged for two years (as opposed to the usual six months) in clay jars, and is exceptionally smooth. It uses a grape base, and really fine green anise, and, as such, it's really uncomplex when tasted side-by-side with a fine absinthe. Nevertheless, it's amazing what those crafty Lebanese distillers have achieved with such a simple drink.

SAQ has interresting anis drinks such as Pastis Henri Bardouin which trust me is quite good. They have a range of good Araks I have tried, El Massaya I find has a grape flavor that almost detracts from the anise. You can always get Pontarlier Anis, made by the Guy distillery, also responsible for absinthe François Guy.

You can always get Pontarlier Anis, made by the Guy distillery, also responsible for absinthe François Guy.

Here's your answer. If you can find it, look no further. This stuff is great, I like it better than the Guy absinthe.

I know everybody prefer Arak, but did somebody taste Yeni Raki? Why specifically, from your taste-point-of-view, do you prefer Ksarak or El Massayah (or other good Arak brands) from Yeni Raki?

You can always get Pontarlier Anis, made by the Guy distillery, also responsible for absinthe François Guy.

Here's your answer. If you can find it, look no further. This stuff is great, I like it better than the Guy absinthe.

Yes, yes and yes.

I know everybody prefer Arak, but did somebody taste Yeni Raki? Why specifically, from your taste-point-of-view, do you prefer Ksarak or El Massayah (or other good Arak brands) from Yeni Raki?

I enjoyed Yeni Raki very much.

I also enjoy Ksarak & El Massayah Arak. (Aren't all quality Araks grape base?)

I also like pastis.

Jäger? I don't remember trying it.

I may be way off base here but I believe the only difference between arak and raki is where it's made.

I may be way off base here but I believe the only difference between arak and raki is where it's made.

I think you are right. At least when we are talking about turkish raki. Greek raki, on the other hand, is similar to grappa.

Jäger is pretty good.

Compared to Killespitch. :thumbdown:

I'd take sambuca, ouzo, raki, arak, or maybe absinthe over both of those anytime. :twitchsmile:

Sadly for my louisianian friend there's no Herbsaint in Quebec! So, I tried El Massaya and it's a nice beverage. It's taste is quite near the one of ma bleue (Clandestine) but a lot lighter and simpler in taste. Still for half the price of an absinthe, you get something that can be a good replacement and that you cand drink anytime you want, keeping your Fée for l'Heure!

Why mess with substitutes. Drink something completely different and you'll enjoy your absinthe more.

Granted, that is my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.

Cheers!