Pontarlier

Show us your Glass!

I finally got some absinthe gear on the way

I'm still waiting for my ponts to come in from la maison d'absinthe

think it's been about 2 weeks now......

anyone know how they are for shipping and such?

I ordered my set of pontarlier glasses from absinthiana.com, took about two weeks to get here. 90CAD for 2 glasses, 2 spoons, 20 individually wrapped sugar cubes and shipping.

Ahh, so they just go by regular post...It cost me 119.99 for 4 pontarliers, 4 spoons and a bunch of sugar cubes

however when the post office typed up the money order they made it for 199.99!

So they have a check making up for the difference in the package...It could help cause I'm broke right now

wheres the face-palm emoticon?

I have these three (3 x #1, 6 x #2 and 6 x #3*) and it is enough for me:

ofa73s.jpg

* #3 is vintage, no idea about its name, pattern, style etc; it is also great for tasting vintage Tokaji wines.

Definitely not Absomphesized™, but certainly quicker to louche, and the wide rims definitely work to highlight the aromatics.

Versailles from La Rochere

Meh. I don't like La Rochere.

Mind you, I think the overall shape of their glasses is usually very good (I love both the shapes of the Pontarlier and the Versailles), but the casting is also very rough : unnecessarily thick glass, mark of the mold very present...

(yes I know, I b...h a lot about glasses (ok, not only glasses) but I took bad habits)

* #3 is vintage, no idea about its name, pattern, style etc; it is also great for tasting vintage Tokaji wines.

Im happy, becouse u know the fantastic "Tokaji wines" from my country! We have Tokaj, but we have more parts: Tokaj, Tarcal, Tolcsva, Mád, Tállya really authentic places :)

And, we have fantastic brandys - say : pálinka, try it ! :)

Sándor

My favourite to date is Kisüsti vegyes pálinka. It would be a crime not knowing the wines that had been in Poland for ages. Nihil est vinum, nisi Hungaricum!

That one I haven't spotted, looks like real deal. Though, I was very happy finding Porto Rico rum, had no idea it is still made-my parents were delighted, exactly the same one they have remembered from the 60's.

I finally got some simple absinthe glasses! At least, that's what they look like to me. I don't remember what the type is called, but I remember seeing glasses of this type in my searches on the 'net. I found a set of 5 of these bad boys in an antique store today for $15. :)

S5030011-1.jpg

Does anyone know where to obtain glasses like the ones in the video below? I haven't exactly been looking for them but I've been keeping an eye out for them and can't find them anywhere. I just like the way they look I guess.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2125185130669424470

Made by Libbey Glass. May not be currently in production

I had a few some years back, but ended up giving them to a friend when I moved.

Check out the usual online auction service, they'll probably turn up there.

I have two glasses that I use. One is a leaded crystal glass I picked up at a grocery store. The other is a uranium glass eyewinker goblet.

Most sources say that you can safely pour a drink into leaded crystal and drink from it, but many caution against daily use. As luck would have it, alcoholic beverages leach lead from the glass better (meaning worse) than other drinks. Most sources also strongly advise against storing alcohol in leaded crystal decanters for any length of time. Uranium glass also contains lead, or so I was told by a glassblower I spoke with a while back.

post-2623-1250690900_thumb.jpgpost-2623-1250690911_thumb.jpg

I have two glasses that I use. One is a leaded crystal glass I picked up at a grocery store. The other is a uranium glass eyewinker goblet.

Is that a .22 leaning against the wall in the picture on the right? ;)

I wasn't aware that uranium glass has lead in it. The crystal glass doesn't get used daily. It feels too light duty. I like my glass to feel chunky in my hand. I'm saving up for a cordon.

Yes, that is a .22 in the background.

I've been meaning to post these since my trip to Indiana last June but one thing leads to another and I quickly forget. Tonight is a little celebration so what better than a couple of glasses of Marteau?

Foodie_002sm.jpg