Pontarlier

Show us your Glass!

Show us your Glass! :cheers:

I recently purchased some bubble glasses, but I still really love my old Pontarlier glassware.

I would like to see if we could catalogue the old and the new... photos of your favored absinthe glass.

It can be filled with your favorite absinthe or sans verte.

Reason: I've seen so many posts about chosing a glass and we've seen a lot of simple glasses that were never really made for absinthe, that it would be nice to start cataloging what is out there in traditional, practical and actual glass.

How are absinthe glassblowers trending?

Not photos of fountains and other accessories please.

If talking "strictly glass", what do you like the most or find interesting?

It doesn't have to be your favorite, but a sole photo is best to appreciate the glass on its own.

The suggestion is to provide a photo, the name of the glass (sometimes different references), origin if known, and why you like it.

Show us your Glass! :cheers:

Would it not be better if this thread was in Gizmos and Gadgets ?

Anyway, already posted it there, but here's my favorite

dscf0781modifie.jpg

It's an etched cordon glass, probably from the center of France, vintage.

I love cordon glasses, the usually clear reservoir lets you appreciate the louche, the body lets you stir your absinthe without having to use a spoon and without letting a single drop out.

This particular piece is in an excellent condition, with a glass which is still cristal clear, and the decoration is a pretty rare ornament on an absinthe glass.

I'd just love to have a vintage ouraline cordon, but they are still pretty rare, and hence too expensive for me.

Another one I love is this one

coupe1-2.jpg

(damn, I have to take a new picture of it, this one is pretty ugly)

Does not fit in the usual classifications. I'd say it is a cup glass with pontarlier reservoir. France, vintage, cup glasses abund in Paris, but I can't be sure. Appart from the fact I've hardly ever seen a cup glass with such a fine shape, it justs fits well il your hand. Ring finger and little finger around the center of the feet, other fingers around the cup...

And last, but not least

pont.jpg

Plain pontarlier glass, France, vintage also. Yes, I love my glasses plain, that's the best way to appreciate the louche.

Except from Simon Pearce's glasses, I won't drink my absinthe in modern glassware. That's just below my standards.

So you were talking about a bubble glass. Is it a vintage one ? THAT would be what I am currently looking for :)

On a side note, I sometimes use vintage glassware not specifically made for absinthe, but which is just great for it (I have some strange glasses I may show someday)

Edited by Aggelos

Here's mine. The photo was taken by the previous owner (my camera isn't anywhere near as good as his, nor do I have a nice place to photograph it).

pernodsa.jpg

It's a Pernod Tarragona SA glass with matching dripper. I don't have much else, though. About the time I got done paying this one off I lost the job that made it possible for me to afford nice things. :)

Peridot, I know that worn wooden bench! I own a saucer that was photographed on it!

IMG_0198.jpg

Here's my favorite. It's something Joe Legate dug up in the hills of Montana (I'm making that last part up). Not intended for absinthe, but vintage and feels great in the hand. A good sturdy glass.

Very nice, Retrogarde.

And, judging by the shape and sturdiness, if it's vintage enough, I don't see why it couldn't have been made with absinthe in mind.

Gee Aggelos, thanks for making every post after yours look impotent.

Alas !! dear friend ! I know all too well what you are feeling. Over here you can consider me as a beginner.

The shadow of mthuilli looms over this thread, and luckily Oxygénée does not post here often. And there are collectors I know who could challenge the latest. Your words flatter me, though.

But obviously my goal is not to make anyone here feel helpless, but rather to share a bit of the dream ;)

The shadow of mthuilli looms over this thread...

Indeed. My prized treasure was once his. He kept one just like it though, to go alongside all of his other magnificent stuff.

The etched cordon glass you posted looks just like one I was considering buying once, and it disappeared before I could save up the dough. But the one below it is just perfectly my style.

OK, here's my picture of a bubble glass just received.

It is similar to the plain Pontarlier glass featured earlier.

It is hand-blown, from France. It provides a cool cloud development when the water hits the basin bubble.

Something you have to watch out for when consuming your absinthe in this style of glass... that you do not abruptly tilt the glass back (returning it to full upright) otherwise you may get an up-drip (is that a word?) similar to a beta fish or small pebble plunging into the center of the liquid rather qucikly.

Blip! :)

post-2400-1245450561_thumb.jpg

The Most Desirable Object In The World.

3644128847_14a5ef9c33_o.jpg

3644128851_f97e9b27c1.jpg

An authentic Belle Epoque Ouraline bubble-reservoir glass.

I WISH like Hell I could say this is mine, but in fact I didn't even know an object of this exotic nature even existed until it showed up on ebay a few weeks ago. I thought it might be expensive, but it went for a mere

$2,102.90. I wept for two days. But I feel better about this world just knowing that this glass exists, and is safe in the hands of someone who knows its value and will care for it, and sing to it in the evenings.

WBT, I thought you were going to tell us that you bought that glass! That was a hard auction to watch.

My favorite glass came from mthuilli, as well! post-1255-1245543349_thumb.jpg

3644128847_14a5ef9c33_o.jpg

3644128851_f97e9b27c1.jpg

An authentic Belle Epoque Ouraline bubble-reservoir glass.

I WISH like Hell I could say this is mine, but in fact I didn't even know an object of this exotic nature even existed until it showed up on ebay a few weeks ago. I thought it might be expensive, but it went for a mere

$2,102.90. I wept for two days. But I feel better about this world just knowing that this glass exists, and is safe in the hands of someone who knows its value and will care for it, and sing to it in the evenings.

What a very interestig piece! My initial reaction was uranium shock and then w/price tag that ensures someone will never ever take it out on a concrete floor. Still you have to think bout how intiricate the dose area appears and appreciate it as art.

:::"So you were talking about a bubble glass. Is it a vintage one ? THAT would be what I am currently looking for :)

On a side note, I sometimes use vintage glassware not specifically made for absinthe, but which is just great for it (I have some strange glasses I may show someday)

===========================================================

Well, I sincerely appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into glassblowing and the art with a specified purpose.

Unfortunately, I must truthfully admit my recent wares for bubble glass are not in the "age" of being considered vintage, but the reproduction glassware I have is very appreciated.

Each has the signature opening blupe at the beginning of the air dose fill (I am speaking so very basic to to forming of a dose balloon in the base portion).

I am a purist in pursuits, but I do admit a frugalness nature. I believe that, in general, (because I do not have the means for a $2K glass) that I am personally rather apt to save money for a bottle of Jade or two or other varieties of absinthe before buying more higher end glassware.

That does by no means deflect any appreciation for glass art that stands the test of time, in being true vintage glassware and functionality. Just being honest that I lack $2K to spend on a single absinthe glass right now.

The thing I do like about the simple bubble glass I have recently obtained? It's that one can place a solitary sugar cube at the opening of the dose (across the opening) above the absinthe and without using an absinthe spoon, louche a drip water train down and in and watch the interesting patterns ermerge within the louche/dose and sugar rain effect. You can even use a Kikoman bottle with cold water and drip slowly.

There's some great glassware out there like the example you have pictured, which is a basic reason for my requesting a documentation and forum topic.

Thank you sincerely for sharing your picture. That is great to see. Keep the images coming....

:cheers:

post-2400-1245558111_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pontarlier

We all know who has it. The thing is, I knew of its existence before it even went on ebay, since the seller interrupted a previous transaction on a vintage bubble glass, and I contacted him to ask if he didn't have another one.

When he told me "I have the same, in ouraline", I just couldn't believe him simply on this assertion, and so I told him "make a photo and name a price". Since, actually, I was not the only one asking, he put it on ebay.

Damn, I should have told 750€ straight ~_~

Maybe in 1979...

Okay, she's still beautiful, but that glass is even more timeless.

Still, Impy, I can understand your Bush obsession, bein' a Texan 'n all. :harhar:

Here's mine. The photo was taken by the previous owner (my camera isn't anywhere near as good as his, nor do I have a nice place to photograph it).

Glad you still like it as it's a damn rare glass and brouilleur matching set, only a few survived.

and luckily Oxygénée does not post here often. And there are collectors I know who could challenge the latest.

Um no. No collector on earth can challenge Oxy's glasses collection, believe me.

Well I don't find it desirable. Very rare yes, desirable no. The ouraline cordon glass was desirable.

And there is an ouraline Pontarlier glass that exists, that is desirable too.

My faforite glasses, the Thann brothers:

IMG_7086MS.jpg

Depends on the time of day. I live in a small town (-7500) so in the mornings I prefer a coffee mug to keep the neighbours from talking.

I like everyone else's glassware; someday I'll get there.

Edited by sherlokke

Sometimes talky-neighbors are what makes life fun. I just use some regular glassware repro’s I picked up from the net. Don’t have anything fancy yet, myself. I prefer what goes in them at this stage ;)

Yeah, I've only bought antiques on rare occasions when I could afford them plus more absinthe. Otherwise I just get more absinthe.

This one of my favorite glass. Versailles from La Rochere (from Markus Lion -absinthe.de)

see my youtube video in action! (in signature)

22061_p2.jpg

I love the classic Pontariler glass, but i havent tried it yet. I will try the next night with Aderlass absinthe (make video! :))