Absinthe Rabbit

'First' Absinthe, What to buy?

Blast from the past. The KOS Platinum should be the worst one as of nowadays.

Oh good Lord, I had no idea there was even a platinum until you mentioned this. The description is a long as an ITT tech pamphlet, but really only says "we added even MORE thujone! Hooray for flavoured vodka!"

For someone who's never had absinthe before I would suggest trying a bottle of La Charlotte by Devoille.

Yeah, I know it's not the best out there, but a newbie might find it interesting...

Especially since it can be found at DrinkUpNY for 29.99.

I'm thinking of tossing a bottle of it in my next DUNY order... Why not?

How strange that I too was considering a bottle of the Charlotte this morning while at DUNY? The reviews aren't stellar, but the consensus seems to be that it's ok, and I'd be happy to sample and empty an ok absinthe for $30. Ultimately, I decided I'd wait until the Meadow Of Love was back in next week or so, and maybe then I'll pair that with the Charlotte to put me just above $100 and get free shipping ;)

Instead, I ordered the Pacifique and the Obsello. Technically, the first bottles I bought were LTV and Lucid, but I haven't opened either, yet. (Yes, I know NOW that LTV is not much like a true absinthe, but if I can't trade it then I'll hang onto it to use as a minty mixer and take Gwydion's idea of using the cool bottle as a carafe!).

I'm debating on whether or not to wait and have a "taste-test" night with all of these (minus the LTV) or just open up the Lucid this weekend and have my first taste of absinthe.

Open the Lucid and have a taste. You have to practice the louche anyway! *devil grin*

There's no reason I can think of to wait to taste what you buy. Don't forget to post a review. *smile*

For someone who's never had absinthe before I would suggest trying a bottle of La Charlotte by Devoille.

Especially since it can be found at DrinkUpNY for 29.99.

WHAT?! Get me some of that bargain! And Jay, by all means open it up and have a taste!

Open the Lucid and have a taste.

Indeed.

It'll make the stuff you have on order (and are planning to order) taste that much finer, by comparison.

I had Lucid as my first bottle. Just a couple days ago I for the first time enjoyed a glass of both Marteau and Pacifique...both excellent. I will tell you though, it didn't make me feel Lucid was terrible. Perhaps not as good, but not terrible.

Maybe Lucid has gotten better since you old timers have tried it? Maybe my taste buds are just so new that I haven't yet determined what is preferable?

Don't get me wrong, I agree Marteau and Pacifique are much better, I just don't think Lucid is all that bad.

I was surprised by the Lucid from a bottle I have the last time I tried it two weeks ago. I know that bottle made its way into the store where I bought it just about a year ago. I wonder if people who tasted it early on, were just getting it without enough age.

:laf: Sad but true!

Seriously, though--I think it's a great absinthe to have when learning the flavors, and I think it set me on a good path (I followed it with Kübler). Though I think we can get better stuff for around the same price now, so Phoenix's comment may hold true more than I'd like! :)

Lucid was one of the first true absinthes I tried...I think it makes for a fine introduction to the Wonderful World of Absinthe! That being said, there is quite a variety of high-quality absinthes available now, especially some crafted right here in the US. I know I plan on working my way through as many as I can...

I was surprised by the Lucid from a bottle I have the last time I tried it two weeks ago. I know that bottle made its way into the store where I bought it just about a year ago. I wonder if people who tasted it early on, were just getting it without enough age.

I don't think it's that. I think Lucid is different now. I used to hate the stuff. But the more recent Lucid I've had is different in almost every way. Enough different that I would not have been surprised if it had been a different absinthe in the same line. Colour, louche, flavour, smell. All different.

Really? Lucid was the first I tried, and after having other, better offerings I couldn't even stomach the stuff. I came into a bottle a few months back and I've had it sitting around. I wonder if its one of the "good" batches. When have you noticed this new, improved Lucid?

Last year. I think late summer or early autumn. Sold at the ABC store walking distance from my house.

I still had a sample from a bottle from when Lucid was first released to compare it to. The old stuff was still the same terrible crap it was before and the new bottle was a decent every-day absinthe.

Cool. I hope the bottle I got a few months ago wasn't a remnant from over a year ago, and is the new improved version. I don't plan on opening it any time in the near future, so who knows when I'll find out.

Le Fee was my first and not bad for a first I guess. I made the mistake of getting some German Tabu later and still haven't finished it for being so awful. Keep looking for at least Lucid or something. I don't know what your import laws are, if you can import by all means get something good and decent. Duplais comes to mind.