Absinthe Rabbit

'First' Absinthe, What to buy?

Hey guys

Sometime this month i will be buying my first bottle of absinthe. I am most likely going to buy online. My choices are, unless someone knows of another legal alternative, as follows:

Absinthe Original Bitter Spirit

Absinthe Original Innocent

Absinthe Original

Staroplzenecky Absinthe

Absinthe Couperose

Absinthe Verdoyante

Or maybe! (As i am trying to set a budget) A bottle of Absinthe King.

Sorry if most of those names don't ring a bell. Their names are pretty much all that is on the bottle.

I have seen on ebay some bottles of Fruko Schulz Absinth, and 'Red' Absinth that looks like it is made by Staroplzenecky. Anyone tried these?

I know that red Absinthe is made using either Artificial coloring, or flowers (Hibiscus flowers, most commonly, if i recall).. But besides the color is it any different really to natural green absinthe? Same thing with clear absinthe.

Sorry if this is asking too much..

Unfortunately Absinthe is so expensive! Even despite its high alcohol content. The bar up the road sells shots of Absinthe for i think $12-18 (AUD)? Its ridiculous. It's a wonder why someone doesn't open a Distillery in Australia (I know there is a few already), and create a less expensive line. But with Taxes i don't know if that would be possible. At most they could shave $10 of the price. I wonder how cheap it would be if it didn't have it's history.

Sorry to say i'm not.

All bad choices? Or did i ask too much?

That's it, all bad choices. It seems that you didn't get the right information about absinthe.

You choosed only Czech Absinthe, which are really bad quality absinthes (there are a few exception though) You should better look at the Swiss or French absinthe, which are distilled absinthe.

I guess it was a good idea to ask for some help before buying a bad one ;)

WS Absinthe Review section exists for a reason.

You have some homework to do before you throw away your money.

Your taste buds will thank us.

I am pretty glad i did :laugh: .

I read that most Czech Absinthe is horrible, but i saw good reviews of Absinthe King. Until a few minutes ago when i was browsing the reviews section. I think i will take their bad experiences and learn from it. Apparently its quite a terrible bottle.

I was lurking and found someones signature linking me to an Australian site. It has a nice selection, I am looking at Mansinthe. A lot of the reviews on this site are not too bad, though i have found a few quite bad reviews else where.

I have visited your Mansinthe thread, and i am afraid i have some bad news for some of you.. I'm a big Manson fan :devil: . Not as big as i use to be, but still pretty big. But i read some people are also fans.. :twitchsmile: Awesome.

I was going to steer clear of it, but now i think i might give it a go.

Of all of the things you mentioned, the Mansinthe is by far your best choice.

I also recommend you speak to Danny Hawaii. He could probably direct you to the best sources for absinthe in Oz.

WS Absinthe Review section exists for a reason.

You have some homework to do before you throw away your money.

Your taste buds will thank us.

I only discovered that review database after i posted, sorry :blush: .

I had a quick peruse through some threads though, evidently i do have a lot of homework.

I also recommend you speak to Danny Hawaii. He could probably direct you to the best sources for absinthe in Oz.

Mansinthe will be on the maybe list than. If not i may just buy a bottle to keep as a collectors piece. I can't see Mansinthe being a long term Absinthe product. If it does Manson has done ok to secure his place in history.

I will keep my eye out for Danny :laugh: .

Cheers guys!

The Absinthe Rabbit

Sorry to bother :paperbag3:

:twitchsmile:

I concur, this place is awesome! :yahoo: Do not fret my little woodland friend, for your life and pocketbook are now in the hands of The Wormwood Society (got your wallet :devil: )!

Read as much as you can while you're here. There is a plethora of information in these threads. Do not feel bad either, about your ignorance, we all have to start somewhere. I, like many others here have paid for and drank (drankin?)... drunk stuff that, well, just shouldn't be called absinthe. I have yet to try Mansinthe, probably because while I enjoy aspects of Manson's music and a couple of songs in particular, I Am not a huge Marilyn Manson fan. I've even seen him in concert. IMO The dude's a freak, but I hear he makes great absinthe ;) . You just dig alittle bit and you will find the answers that you seek. Point is, that everyone's got different tastes, and therefore varying preferences, but this gang will never steer you wrong. And if all else fails you can simply ask for an opinion. Kudos on not flushing your money down the toilet!

Safe Journeys.

I could have sworn i posted a reply. Did it get deleted? Or was i stupid an clicked out of it... Maybe now is a good time to sleep.

I wrote a rather larger post, but i really can't be bothered retyping it up. So i will just summarize.

You people = Awesome. Site = Amazing. Best site regarding Absinthe in the world (As far as i have discovered). A great many books could be written with very valuable absinthe information from this website. Have a good one.

I started with a very poor absinthe because of the convenience of local supply. It was a gigantic mistake --- I later found what a quality absinthe should be thanks 100% to this website and its knowledgeable members.

I know the feeling... I picked up a bottle of Pernod 68 before I found WS

it could've been worse and probably still would be if it wasn't for this site

cheers to WS !

Perhaps we should start a thread on terrible first purchases? There might already be one. But yeah, I wish I had known about WS a few years ago when I bought that bottle of Tabu in Germany.

It was a good read and good for a laugh.

I had forgotten many of the members from 3 years ago. Fortunately, I had forgotten much of the absinth(e), too.

Here are a couple of options:

Worst absinthe ever.

Worst commercial brands.

Both are currently zombie threads that are hopelessly derailed, but if you want to use em, go for it.

Thanks for that reply !!!!! I think we should have a sticky for the "Worst Brands" at the top of the general forum page for all the new members to see --- AND USE !!!

it's just that good absinthe is hard to find

At this point, especially when one takes DUNY into account, this statement happily merits a :laf:

And, Boggy, the Elixier would almost certainly still take the (dubious) prize.

And, Boggy, the Elixier would almost certainly still take the (dubious) prize.

So far, we haven't been as lucky as you were :devil: . Of all the German absinths, Dr. Jekyll, Absthof are available.

I just want to confirm one thing... You are not buying absinthe for the hopes of an "effect", the only reason I ask is your choices all kinda play (read: prey) on that crowd. If this is the case I would suggest you look down different avenues.

Mansinthe will be on the maybe list than. If not i may just buy a bottle to keep as a collectors piece. I can't see Mansinthe being a long term Absinthe product. If it does Manson has done ok to secure his place in history.

Ain't so bad. :dev-cheers:

I just want to confirm one thing... You are not buying absinthe for the hopes of an "effect", the only reason I ask is your choices all kinda play (read: prey) on that crowd. If this is the case I would suggest you look down different avenues.

I confirm that i am not :thumbup: . My choices were very limited until i found the Absinthe Saloon. All thanks to someones signature, I dismissed it before, but despite having a little bit higher prices they seem to have a better range (as far as this newbie can tell).

I enjoy drinking, mostly beer & spirits, but occasionally wine. (And when i am really broke, Goon *shudder*)

Checking those threads out nao :pirate: .