britgeekgrrl

Absinthe & Twitter

And bands. It is the primary resource for bands. In fact, many have stopped having websites and just use MySpace now.

Yes, exactly. Not to mention films renting ad space as "skins", and huge front page ads that Facebook lacks means significantly more profit for MS. Myspace isn't going anywhere with the amount of pure profit they're raking in.

Also like you said, there are lots of bands, smaller companies, or promotions that use a Myspace page as a free replacement for a website. Think of the high level of customization with a little HTML know-how. Click any page for a motion picture and you'll see a perfect example of how it can be completely retooled to look like an actual static web page. Nice, simple URL, too (myspace.com/mypage). Simple and easy to remember, unlike Facebook, which, from what Alan has said, still has no real solution to their mess.

By the way, I didn't mean to suggest that Twitter will ever be a replacement for MS/FB, but I do think it will eventually exceed both of them. Twitter is so simple and quick, and is basically a standalone script of the top feature of both leading networking sites: status updates. Think about it, how many people do you know that have JUST a Twitter account? Most users are going to have that in addition to a full-featured networking account. But the point is, no matter which service a user decides to go with, Twitter is the quintessential "may as well" service of choice. The mobile aspect, which Twitter is dominating, shouldn't be underestimated, either.

By the way, I didn't mean to suggest that Twitter will ever be a replacement for MS/FB, but I do think it will eventually exceed both of them. Twitter is so simple and quick, and is basically a standalone script of the top feature of both leading networking sites: status updates. Think about it, how many people do you know that have JUST a Twitter account? Most users are going to have that in addition to a full-featured networking account. But the point is, no matter which service a user decides to go with, Twitter is the quintessential "may as well" service of choice. The mobile aspect, which Twitter is dominating, shouldn't be underestimated, either.

Sounds cute in theory, but only time will really tell. Twitter will never be a replacement, you're right. I just think there are too many people locked in to FB and too late for Twitter in the world of micro blogging to do anything about it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Twitter is easier to use for quick, bite sized pieces of information and PR purposes but friends and family? Nothing to the extent of FB. I think it is too late for Twitter to catch up.

Let's look at this graph, shall we?

Now I will give you that, within recent months, Twitter has grown but it flatlined for so long prior, I'm just trying to figure out what can be done to catch up to MS/FB? You have to admit, the FB numbers are staggering, yes?

You're right, only time will tell. Though I still don't completely agree. Twitter can easily be used by families for a teenager to let his parents know where he's at, for instance, without his folks having to wade through bucketloads of surrounding comments or pointless, cluttered "Absinthe_Ben clicked on a link just now!" activity stream updates. Even my mother has a Twitter account solely due to its ease of use...

While impressive, I don't see the Facebook numbers as "staggering", so much as "predictable". Where was Myspace a year ago when FB started to gain that momentum? Trying to tackle a massive spam outbreak and fixing bugs in preparation of Profile 2.0. 1000% more spam a year ago than today on MS. Unsure if an end could be in sight, many users flocked to the #2 network. To MS's credit, they've completely overhauled their security (no spam messages for months among 1,800 friends), layout, and coding. It just took them so long that a lot of users have already forgotten about them. But for those that use it on a daily basis, it should be obvious that the changes have streamlined things without sacrificing any of their already-superior customization. But like you said, it will be a while before we'll have an idea which direction they're headed long-term.

I'll be watching the "Big Three" closely. :cheers:

Last update. We started yesterday with a little over 60 members of the WS FB page. Tonight, we are at 119. Many of them aren't overlaps either, which is a very good thing.

Just a quick update. We now have 351 Facebook members, and 212 twitter followers.

I know not many people here use Twitter, but I wanted to credit Brian for the good work he's doing there.

As you can see from the Topsy analysis, he/the Wormwood Society are rated as highly influential. Which means people are reading what he says and clicking through.

:cheers:

Topsy states "On our website, roughly the top 0.2% most influential of all Twitter users are tagged “Highly Influential”, and “Influential” tags appear for the top 0.5% most influential Twitter users. So if Topsy says you are influential, you are part of a pretty small group!"

(Declaration of interest: LaClandestine also gets an "influential" rating!)

Edited by Alan Moss