Sign in to follow this  
Nightingale

Absente

Jeez, already four, we shall wait maybe they will launch #5, for those who are not fond of aniseed but like licorice :devil: .

If you mean a false positive from the LCBO I think that's highly unlikely.

The LCBO are a clueless bunch of idiots. I sent a request via their "Private Ordering" form on their website to see what hoops I would need to jump through to privately import a case of Jade PF 1901. This is a scan of their reply, which completely contradicts what I have been led to believe about the legality of absinthe and thujone levels in Ontario:

September 6, 2007

Robert Hedley

5 Xxxxxxxxxx Xxx

Whitby, Ontario

XXX XXX

Re: Jade PF 1901 Absinthe

Dear Mr. Hedley:

In response to your inquiry for the above-mentioned product, unfortunately this product is illegal in Ontario as it exceeds the legal amount of Thujone permitted in Ontario, which is 1mg and this product has 10mgs. However, the LCBO does stock a similar product. You may wish to try Hill's Absinth Liqueur +587204.

I will be closing your file at this time. If you require any assistance in the future, please contact us at the number listed below quoting your customer #9152.

Thank you for your interest in Private Ordering.

Lindsey Pizzolato

Private Ordering - Specialty Services

Liquor Control Board of Ontario

Tel: 416-864-6996

Fax: 416-365-5934

Furthermore, Ms. Pizzolato included this informative little "brief history of absinthe":

Absinthe, as it was produced in late 19th century Europe, contains the chemical compound thujone in levels that exceed Health Canada guidelines. As a result, the product cannot be imported and sold in Canada.

Wormwood leaves and roots are used in the manufacture of a variety of herbal products, including the herbal liqueur absinthe.

During production, the chemical compound thujone (a porphyrogenic terpenoid) is extracted from the wormwood. Absinthe products available at the turn of the twentieth century were associated with hallucinations, convulsions, and psychotic behaviour. Organ system damage was associated with long-term consumption. These products contained thujone levels of between 260 parts per million (ppm) and 350 ppm due to manufacturing processes and the very high alcohol content by volume of the products.

Classical absinthe was produced from dried wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), anise, and fennel. The ingredients were steeped overnight in 85% (by volume) ethanol. The next day water was added, the concoction boiled, and the distillate (alcohol plus steam distilled terpenoids) collected. The process was completed by a further extraction of dried Roman wormwood (A pontica), hyssop, and lemon balm and then filtered to a clear, green liqueur of 74% alcohol.. The plant products in absinthe varied among manufacturers, the only universal components being alcohol and wormwood essence.}

Between 1905 and 1913 Belgium, Switzerland, the United States, and Italy banned absinthe. The French government made absinthe less available after 1915. It was never formally banned in Spain, Portugal, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom or Canada.

Modern versions of absinthe and related liqueurs differ significantly from the highly potent products popular in 19th century Europe.

Modern products currently sold in England and Europe contains thujone levels between 8-10 ppm. Ten ppm is the maximum thujone content permitted by the European Commission.

Do you think that I should even bother trying to educate Ms. Pizzolato why Hill's is about as close to absinthe as bourbon is to single malt Scotch? I was also under the impression that the acceptable thujone content for liquor sold in Ontario was the EU standard of 10 ppm. Why is she insisting that it is less than 1 ppm? Why is she also trying to claim that absinthe causes hallucinations and psychosis?

The only reason I can come up with is that Ms. Pizzolato is completely ignorant of absinthe and absinthe's history, and that the LCBO really couldn't care less about expanding their catalogue with other quality liquors.

*Sigh* Unfortunately, living in the Great White North has its drawbacks. At least there are still some online retailers that will ship to Canada. God bless the internet. :devil:

thank u for ur help

i know, this topic is conflict to the rules, sorry,

did I not know about whether the same one is the beverage punctually...

delete this topic plz :)

need a chat room maybe? :worshippy:

Edited by DarkAbsinthe

You can also find Absente (and similar products) reviewed in the absinthe substitutes and pastis section of the main site.

There's lots of potential confusion around Absente; the one in your picture with the cat decanter looks like the US faux absinthe, but I gather there is a European version which actually is genuine absinthe (albeit a poorly regarded one). And with the recent reinterpretation of US rules, Absente has recently inflicted yet another low-quality absinthe on the US.

I try to keep a safe distance from all three.

Cheers.

thank u for ur help

i know, this topic is conflict to the rules, sorry,

did I not know about whether the same one is the beverage punctually...

delete this topic plz :)

need a chat room maybe? :worshippy:

The topic isn't in conflict with any rules, it's just been covered before.

No, we definitely don't need a chat room. A lot of people feel the need to type really fast in chats in order to keep up, so they neglect to capitalize appropriate words and abbreviate even the shortest words. Then this becomes their habitual way of writing online, whether in a chat or not.

We prefer people to use normal spelling and writing conventions here, because unlike a chat, these conversations endure for later readers to use for research and it makes them easier to read.