Sign in to follow this  
Nightingale

Absente

I have seen the stuff around but haven't looked at it closely. My inclination is that 'Absente' is fancy for 'Absent' of Wormwood.

Anyone? I might have terrible inclinations.

It's too expensive for a fake absinthe, if you want a substitute, get bottle of Herbsaint, it's far cheaper, or better yet get a bottle of Arak.

It's too expensive for a fake absinthe, if you want a substitute, get bottle of Herbsaint, it's far cheaper, or better yet get a bottle of Arak.

The Absente is ok for fake absinthe it's not great at all and like thegreenimp said, it's way too expensive. Herbsaint is much cheaper and in my opinion a far better substitue.

They are both pastis, which is to say Absinthe *without* wormwood/thojone.

I liked both Herbsaint and Absente about the same. I know lots of others prefer Herbsaint. I will say that for the money Herbsaint is a better buy.

The packaging of Absente is great. The fancy box with a nice absinthe spoon is really good. But here in Dallas I can get a bottle of Herbsaint for less than $20.00 whereas Absent is a little over $30.00.

I would be interested in what the groups consensus is to the best pastis is.

-- Joel.

I like Absente, I haven't been able to find Herbsaint so I haven't been able to compare them. I also drink Arak.

I find the Absente much sweeter, and more licorice candy tasting, where the Arak is anise.

Guess I will have to try a little harder to find the Herbsaint to compare. :)

OOOOOOOOOOO...silly me. :shock: You weren't asking if it was real, just whether it was worth trying. Nice to know that there are folks here who endorse substitutes/pastis.

I'll be quiet now.

Arak BATTA has a history since 1927 when our master distiller Sarkis Kiwanian first established his distillery in an area called Afrin from that period Arak BATTA is the No. 1 Arak in the market after industrial improvements world wide the distilling process has been developed by his son Puzant Kiwanian keeping the traditional recipe and updating it to the world most highest technologies in the distilling process

OOOOOOOOOOO...silly me. :shock: You weren't asking if it was real, just whether it was worth trying. Nice to know that there are folks here who endorse substitutes/pastis. 

I'll be quiet now.

You have to have something to sip when your good stuff is gone and you are between visits from the flying monkey, ;)

Technically Herbsaint is not Pastis, while the modern Herbsaint isn't like the Herbsaint of old, in it's day it was distilled and coloured like a vintage absinthe.

If there was a smart distiller that produced a modern distilled equivalent to old Herbsaint, they would not only have a unique product to cash in on the increased interest in absinthe, but experience in producing a distilled and naturally coloured absinthe substitute.

Something to ponder.

Having been lucky enough to enjoy a bottle of 1930s vintage Herbsaint, I can back up Impy's claim...it had more in common with pre-ban absinthe than with today's pastis, that's for sure.

Well not all of us have the money to keep our bar stocked with absinthe all the time.

Yep. All my cash is going to pay for grad school. When I get my next teeny-tiny paycheck (I'm a research assistant for one of the profs) I'm going to place an order at LdF (is that the right abbreviation?) but my brother is too cheap to want to shell out that kind of cash for alcohol. However, he has said that if you all say that the Absente isn't worth it, he'll add a bottle of his own to my absinthe order so we can split the shipping costs.

If I had the money to place an order, would.. but as I don't right now Absente it is.

So I would say it would be better for him to go in on an order with you, and save a little on the shipping. Save the Absente for another day.

:cheers:

Ok, so I was at the liqueur store today (a rare occurrence for me) and I decided to ask about Arak. The proprietor had me spell it three times before he took me to the back of the store and showed me a few dusty bottles of Razzouk. Upon checking out he asked me why I wanted to try the Arak (he had never). I told him that the stuff I usually drink can not be found in the USA but that I had heard from my like minded friends (that's you all) that arak was interestingly close and worth a try.

He asked me what it is I usually drink and, for some reason, I decided to tell him.

"Its called Absinthe." He arched his eyebrows at me in a way that is unsettling on an old man.

"We have that."

"No you don't" I could not keep a bit of a chuckle from my voice.

"Sure we do."

"Well", I respond trying to be polite, "I wonder how you do given that it is illegal to import and sell in the US." He looks at me like I have no idea what I am talking about.

"Its not illegal, we have it." I smile.

"Well then, I must have a look at it."

"You wanna see it?" He asks as if I had not just asked to. "It's in the back, I'll go get it." I wait and wait, hearing bottle clinking noises coming from the storeroom. I think I know what he is going to bring me but for just a moment I have a brief flash of hope that he will return with a vintage Absinthe. You never know what these guy's might have back there. Finally he returns, a triumphant grin on his face and hands me...

...you guessed it, a box of Absente. Nice looking bottle, cool enough spoon and a mini pilsner like class.

"Oh, this is Absente." I say with a knowing lilt. He looks confused and offended, like I just told him his grandkid had a nice personality.

"That's not what you were looking for?"

"No, I drink A-b-s-i-n-t-h-e, this is A-b-s-e-n-t-e."

"What's the difference?" I figure he asked and I am a WS missionary so I gave him the 10 minute short course.

"Wow," he says. "That is really interesting. The college kids come in here asking for it and when they find out we have it they go crazy. They think ther's cocaine in it."

"Well," I tell him with a wink. "Now you know the truth and you can laugh at them with the real Absinthe drinkers." The old guy grinned as I took my bottle of Arak and headed out the door. Maybe next time he can teach me a little something about single malt wiskey. His breath gave me that impression anyway.

I did not ask the price. The Arak was $18.50.

I tried the McClelland highland Scotch last night which I really liked. I am still developing my wiskey tastes. It's funny, I am not much of a drinker but 5oz of the wiskey neat does not do as much to me as one glass of Absinthe. Feels different too.

I did not ask the price.  The Arak was $18.50. 

I tried the McClelland highland Scotch last night which I really liked.  I am still developing my wiskey tastes.  It's funny, I am not much of a drinker but 5oz of the wiskey neat does not do as much to me as one glass of Absinthe.  Feels different too.

The McClelland bottlings are a good low-priced intro to single malts, as they are all simply young (5-year) versions of of malts produced by the Morrison Bowmore distilleries -- Auchentoshan (Lowland), Glen Garioch (Highland), and Bowmore (Islay). If you like the McClelland highland, and want to move up to a higher-shelf single malt, I recommend the Balvanie Founder's Reserve 10 year. More of the character of a Highland malt, at a price point that's lower than the top-shelf stuff. Nothing particularly spectacular or unique about it, just a good basic whisky; and one I usually use to introduce newbies to single-malt Scotch whiskys.

I personally prefer the Islays myself, and would strongly recommend the McClelland Islay as a good introduction to the style. They are more of an aquired tasted than the others, however; and not everyone likes the "seaweedy" character.

Something else you might find useful in exploring single malts, many distillers offer small 50ml "airline" sized bottles of their more popular offerings. I used to be able to get a set of six -- two Highlands, one Speyside, two Islays, and one Island -- around Christmans for about $20.

I have a bottle of Absente which I bought about a year ago at the Redlands, CA Liquor Barn. It was in the box with a cheap die-cut spoon and was priced at about $30.

It looks, louches and tastes similar to real absinthe (the color is very similar to Jade N.O.), but has a harsh alcohol taste similar to the lesser commericals and poorly-made HGs.

There's also a mouthfeel that absinthe has that is missing in Absente. I would compare it to the difference between regular and decaf coffee, or regular and caffine-free Coca-Cola.

There is also a difference in the drunk feeling it produces. While two or three glasses of real absinthe produces a "light-headed" drunk sensation for me, with the same amount of absente I feel a "weight" in my head, and I don't think quite as fast or lucidly. This makes me suspect that the source of absinthe seconday effects IS in the wormwood (though not necessarily thujone).

Should you buy it? Only if it's important to you to try or own a bottle of it. If you're just looking for something less expensive than absinthe to drink when you have no absinthe, I'd recommend switching to some other kind of liquor. There are enough decent quality rums, vodkas, tequlas, whiskeys, etc. that cost less than $30/bottle that there's no reason to drink a somewhat upleasent wanna-be fake absinthe.

That really summarizes my 1999 experience with Absente...which was named that because the wormwood was ABSENT...so was most of the texture, and the majority of what should have been the flavor.