sammy33

How many glasses...during the "Green Hour"?

I have found it difficult to compare Absinthe to other beverages I enjoy. The whole experience for me is a bit more relaxed and intentional than say cracking open some cold beers.

A nicely prepared glass of absinthe also has a different effect on me. A few beers gives me a very obvious "buzz"...with more leading me into a stupor. A few glasses of Absinthe also gives me a "buzz" but as I described before it is like driving fast with the brakes on...with more Absinthe pushing me toward almost a clarity. Hard to compare.

How many glasses of absinthe do you drink in one session?

I know I said the "Green Hour" but my absinthe excursions seem to cover more than just an hour and definitely more than 1 glass. :blush:

I start with one and go from there. If I'm in the mood to try more than one, I have some smaller boopie glasses or wine glasses and just pour about half as much so I can enjoy the differences. I rarely drink more than two glasses per night. Smaller doses with a variety allows me to do side by side tastings without getting piss ignorant. (it don't take much) :twitchsmile:

I sip slow and try to appreciate the herb profile as the drink warms up to about room temp.

Everyone will have a different answer.

The best way I've found to enjoy the drink is to share with friends and compare opinions.

Probably more than you wanted for an answer but it's a personal thing. :cheers:

There was actually a pretty good discussion about this, but it was a LONG time ago. I'd like to find that thread and re-read it, but I couldn't locate it.

For me, it just depends. Surprisingly, I don't drink that much during a normal week, other than small samples that I review. It could be 2-3 weeks before I touch a glass of anything.

Many green 'hours' end up with only one or two drinks, however, others can stretch into the double digits. I'd say an average green hour for me is about 6-8 with the 'hour' lasting more like two. But I rarely have formal green hours, since I rarely have company over anymore, now that we have the baby.

These days, I'll usually have one or two Absomphesized glasses, unless I'm drinking with a certain friend, in which case I feel (understandably) compelled compelled to have as many as six, or seven.

More than two drinks a night is very rare unless we're socializing with friends. If I'm playing barkeep or cook, two or three is about all I have time for. Tonight is a rarity. I've already had three glasses of absinthe and I may have a small glass of whiskey or gin before I call it quits. It has been a long-ass week and I'm ready for this weekend. Whew!

It really does vary, like Shabba says,not much usually happens during a workweek, maybe one or two here and there.

As forgiving as absinthe is the next morning,(and it really is compared to say,tequila) ,it still can bite you for awhile the next day if you have to work. So weekends are the way, then you can relax if you need to recover.

Friends can really get the numbers cooking up to 5-6 during a fun Green Hour, it flows when your educating others about this wonderful beverage,and I sure thank this forum for my ongoing education! :thumbup:

You know....Education!

I rarely have more than 3 in a day. I drink beer every night so if I were to go any furthur things would be bad the next day. Always on my day off. Never before bed. The burned hand teaches best.

I was at a bar/restaurant last week doing my best to educate the masses and I consumed less than three full drinks. We were there three hours.

I am on my fifth glass...or is it my fourth glass? I don't know. Last glass I prepared I thought the same thing so this could actually be my sixth glass (over about five hours).

I am sipping on some Kübler tonight. Much smoother/milder than the first absinthe I tried - Lucid. The Kübler is also a little lighter at only 53% ABV with Lucid at 62% ABV. The Lucid sessions - I was only drinking three glasses maybe four per session. With Kübler I seem to do about four glasses or more?

Does the particular absinthe encourage more glasses during the green hour?

Isnt it true, most of us come here uninformed,then slowly educate ourselves ,climb into Hirams vast compendiums,and then eventually end up becoming instructors of sorts about the wonderful history and proper preparation of this marvelous beverage?What a wonderful place this is! :thumbup:

Does the particular absinthe encourage more glasses during the green hour?

Yes, Sammy!

Get some La Coquette and see how it disappears! :twitchsmile:

1 or 2; just to reach that ‘clarity’ you were speaking of. Unless it’s a special event or likewise. But usually One or two does it for me ;) [i’ve cut out most alcohol and only drink absinthe these days with an occasional beer or dinner wine.]

If I drink an absinthe during the week, I drink alone. :3869-sadbanana: It is usually only one glass and sipped slowly while I knit and watch a DVD.

If I am at a party, I have been known to have as many as 5 in one evening spanning several hours. I was NOT the designated driver.

I am a lightweight. I freely admit that.

The best way I've found to enjoy the drink is to share with friends and compare opinions.

Absolutely.

It makes a difference who you're drinking with. By myself, about two glasses stretched over an evening is good. With friends who are drinking brandy or wine, my consumption stays about the same. When absinthe-drinking friends come over, the breathalizer goes out the window.

Because I'm usually at home, being the only one with a worthy absinthe supply, I don't have to worry about driving, and the friends I drink absinthe with are either of the crash-over or taxi-home variety, there are no limits to what we'll drink together. Spaced out over a much longer evening six or maybe seven glasses with frequent water breaks is about average (Pontarlier glasses).

Amazingly, there are almost never any next-morning regrets, even after those nights. God, I love absinthe.

I drink only at home, and usually just one glass, and a small one at that. But I did sit down with a good friend from far away for many hours and we sampled 15 different absinthes. But that's a vertey rare event.

Well,

I probably have absinthe once a month - if that. Sometimes twice a month and then none for two months. But if I am going to have some and it's just a great lazy day with my boyfriend then I might have two glasses.

....unless I'm drinking with a certain friend, in which case I feel (understandably) compelled compelled to have as many as six, or seven.

So compelled compelled would mean twelve to fourteen vs. just regular old compelled?

...I did sit down with a good friend from far away for many hours and we sampled 15 different absinthes. But that's a vertey rare event.

I take it you didn't sample any blanches then?

I know, I'm a no good rotten punk, but I can't help it :harhar:

I generally try to preserve my hard-earned supply and have maybe one to two glasses per session, a couple of times during the week. But there have been a few weeknight exceptions. A fair amount of weekday stuff is usually Lucid. When I bust out the good stuff every other weekend or so, the big challenge to conservation for me is that it just tastes sooooo good, and the true level of inebriation only kicks in after after the "clarity" stage.

My upper limit that I reach when friends are over is probably around seven or eight glasses, but I need to make sure I've eaten well, and I'm drinking water the whole time. The first time I invited a friend over to drink some absinthe with me, we went flat out drinking and I didn't drink enough water :drunk: I was hurtin' pretty bad the next day :3872-DrunkBanana:

At yesterday's Wormwood Stripping Party, I had five full glasses of absinthe. The party went from 4:00 until a little after 10:00 and included a full dinner.

Green Baron, are you sure we've never met, cuz I'd swear you really know me! :devil:

Not that I know of sir, but the more times I drink absinthe with friends, the more I can identify with "compelled compelled"! :dev-cheers:

Oh yeah! I couldn't take my eyes off the one named, Maggie.

[,] ?

Um, my name isn't Maggie, T, but it's sweet to see that you have her on the brain 24/7. :tongue: ;)

Yes, it's true, I can be even more pedantic than Sixer. :rolleyes: :cheers: