Brooks

Taking it to the next level

Apotheke.jpg. .New York Times, August 20, 2008

"Albert Trummer has created cocktails for David Bouley at Danube and once owned a lounge, Trummer Home, in Greenport, N.Y. On Monday he will open Apothéke (ah-poh-TEEK) deep in Chinatown. His partner is Heather Tierney, an owner of Wall Street Burger Shoppe.

"The bar’s name means apothecary in German, and paraphernalia like chemical beakers and pharmacy scales are used for decoration and for mixing drinks. Many drinks rely on fruit and herb infusions made by Mr. Trummer. Above, he burns off some of the alcohol in his homemade absinthe."

Smokey.jpg. . . .

Perhaps in keeping with the German namesake, aside from Apothéke selling homemade petrol drinks, you can buy gauze and burn ointments?

Well, it just gets better. . .eusa_dance.gif

Q. You make your own absinthe — how is that legally possible?

A. The distilling process was banned in the U.S. What is legal, and what I do, is to take my special herbs (one is wormwood) and soak them in an anisette. Normally you pour the water tower into the absinthe — instead of that, I’m using the anisette to burn off the alcohol so 80 percent of the alcohol is gone. It’s a very smooth absinthe.

As I understand it, there is a tradition of herb and fruit liqueurs and liquors being made through infusion. They can be very excellent. It sounds like his absinthe is closer to the Eastern European wormwood beverages that Boggy knows about. Of course, no one, even in NYC, would know how to pronounce it.

Sometime when I make a visit to NYC, hawking my wares, I'll have to pay the fellow a visit. You're welcome to come along Brooks. I'm also planning on visiting LeNell soon. I'd love the company. You too Retro if you in the area. :heart:

Infusions with herbs and fruits can be delicious. They can also be horrible. I'm pretty sure which category a wormwood infusion in anisette belongs in.

On Monday he will open Apothéke (ah-poh-TEEK) [...] The bar’s name means apothecary in German

If that's German, there shouldn't be an accent aigu over the 'e'. And it isn't pronounced "ah-poh-TEEK".

Pretentious prick. Yeah, I know, T73 said that already, but I just had to toss it in ...

LeNell's is wonderful, Dakini — the size of a postage stamp, but beautifully stocked.

Earlier this summer, a vast, sprawling Ikea opened in once-quiet Red Hook. If there's a silver lining, it's the Ikea ferry which runs back and forth between Wall Street and Red Hook, providing easy access to a formerly remote Brooklyn neighborhood.

LeNell's is a five-minute stroll from the Ikea dock.

The part I find really annoying is that for being a pretentious prick, his bar looks really cool. That's not fair :thumbdown:

Think of it as the toy box owned by the asshole rich kid down the block who nobody likes but everyone plays with 'cuz he's got the coolest toys. We've all known that kid.

Well, with any luck, the petroleum that's pictured in his fountain will catch fire and take the whole bar out, thus deflating (or exploding as it were) some of the prick's pretentions...

:blowup:

:no-czechs3:

The part I find really annoying is that for being a pretentious prick, his bar looks really cool. That's not fair :thumbdown:

There's an Italian restaurant in our town in which the food is SUPERB. DROOLING SPECTACULAR! Why I rarely eat there and feel guilty when I do? You can hear the owner calling his mother a 'dumb c*nt' in the kitchen and his sexual comments made to the college age work staff. (Shudder)

From Mr. Trummer's interview:

" If you come to our bar and you’re not really in a good mood, we’ll try to give you a drink that will make your mood better. Every novice apotheker has their own specialty — the same way you’d say, “Okay, today I need to go to the eye doctor,” or, “Today my stomach hurts".

No need to go to a shrink!

We now have a simple chart/formula to follow:

Bad mood due to fight with significant other = Rob Roy

Bad mood due to pet run over by car = Sloe Gin Fizz

Bad mood due to layoffs at work = Tequila Sunrise

etc, etc.

How freakin' clever!

I now see that I was wrong to try to improve my mood merely by drinking copious amounts of alcohol ... I was probably drinking the wrong cocktail! :shock: