PeterL

Marilyn Manson Interview on Absinthe

I keep trying to convince myself that he was quoted out of context or he was being tongue in cheek

I think a lot of people that are fond of him are trying to convince themselves of that, but I don't buy it. I think he really is ignorant to the subject matter personally.

JMO

Not ignorant. In this case, irresponsible.

Yes, absolutley irresponsible. I've seen Manson interviewed a few times. Most notably in the Michael Moore film "Bowling For Columbine". I thought he did an excellent job vindicating himself of the accusations that his music and stage persona inspires violence.

A shame he couldn't or wouldn't do the same for Absinthe.

<sigh>

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he would like us too much. All the work WS does and this nimrod reaches more people with his drivel in one concert than WS and FV does in a week.

(King from Slayer)

REVOLVER Manson, will you be taking a road case full of absinthe on the road with you this summer?

MANSON Yeah, I have a special road case built for it. I'm not even joking.

KING I just have the Jäger boys drop their stuff off at every show! [Laughs]

MANSON Absinthe has a similar type of damage level to Jägermeister...

KING Oh, this is a lot more damaging!

MANSON I don't get a hangover from this, and I don't ever really get drunk.

KING You will with me on tour! [Laughs]

MANSON No, I don't mean I don't try to get drunk, but absinthe is not an alcohol thing. It gets you strange—it's an opiate sort of thing, which is what makes it kind of like Jäger. It's not the alcohol; it's the other element, wormwood, which is in the Bible. God sent it down to earth to punish man for his sins. So it's gotta be good! [Laughs] Wormwood, when you distill it, makes this thing called thujone; it's like the equivalent of THC in marijuana. I have a guy who sends it to me in a dropper; I can put it in Kool-Aid—you don't even need the alcohol.

Dipshit.

Hehe.

makes me wonder if these guys have ever done any real drugs? I mean - they are supposed to be big time rock stars...... partying "like rock stars". They should have run the gauntlet of psycotropic stuff already during their careers. You'd think they would have long since discovered that chugging it simply got them piss drunk, or evaluated pure thujone's entertainment value as ineffective at best.

Makes me want to walk up to one of them, and sell them a sheet of blotter paper (with nothing on it). Tell them it's the strongest stuff on earth. Perhaps sell them a Kilo of flour while I'm at it.

Edited by smug simian

Maybe he was staring at your avatar during the interview. It's giving me flashbacks.

Seriously though, is nothing sacred to that man?

Nevermind.

I'm sure he has grown to hate his fans and would love the thought of them downing bottles of wormwood and puking. He even states his dislike of his fans in a few of his songs. I can bet he really doesn't care about anything. THAT is being a rock star, IMO.

Maybe he was staring at your avatar during the interview. It's giving me flashbacks.

Actually--to be honest, it's about time for me to pick something new. I use this same avatar with numerous other message boards. It's starting to become a bit repetitive.

For this board, I think I'm going to create one with more of an absinthe theme.

Did anyone else notice Conan O'Brian and Anne Hathaway swapping misinformation about absinthe last night?

Conan was talking about Marilyn Manson giving him a bottle of Mansinthe, to which Conan responded with all the classic drug/hallucinogen humor he could muster.

Anne Hathaway, who claims to be an absintheuse, not only didn't correct him, but told a story about talking Steve Correll into doing flaming absinthe shooters with her at a wrap party for Get Smart, and how Steve called her the next morning in a panic because he had just learned it was a dangerous drug.

Everyone had a mild chuckle, and absinthe's reputation was set back 100 years. Good times.

Hmm, I was boosting her cos of her going to Vassar (my alma mater. Rose and Gray!), but not only did she speak of flaming absinthe, but she transferred to NYU in 2005. Disappointment on all fronts. :thumbdown:

Heheh, I'm bummed about a celebrity! I'm now officially American. :twitchsmile: