density

Obsello Absenta

Hmm, that's some mint in there, yes? But wasn't mthuilli complaining that mint was the problem with Obsello?

He was complaining that it was his problem with Obsello, as I suspect it would be mine also, since a noticable mint flavor in absinthe is not to my personal taste. It's perfectly legitimate though, just tough to get it to work.

I was complaining about a minty flavor yes, but that's not the only problem in it imo, the overall taste is far from absinthe.

Let's wait for the Obsello producer to join and explain what has changed from his previous batches.

the overall taste is far from absinthe.

That's unfortunate. I hope this isn't another case of someone re-formulating the product to suit what some people say is the "American taste." It's like one marketer will say: "We made it taste this way intentionally, because it's more mixable and Americans don't like anise", and for some unfathomable reason other marketers fall for it as if it were true. I call bullshit. But we'll see what Obsello has to say about it.

Hello

I am the maker of Obsello Absenta. I must first say I expected to post here one day. I had no idea it would be one week after we started selling our product online (kudos to spirits corner)!

I would like to use this opportunity to address two comments in this thread that I think are especially important.

the overall taste is far from absinthe.

I hope this isn't another case of someone re-formulating the product to suit what some people say is the "American taste."

For the past ten years I have been struggling to define what is the taste of absinthe, and more importantly, what will be the taste of Obsello. I know what the ingredients of absinthe are, and I know the process of distilling it. But the taste? This is a different matter all-together.

For a moment I would like to talk about Champagne. I think we would all agree that Champagne is made through a specific fermentation process using grapes harvested in the Champagne appellation of France. I also think we would all agree that we know more or less what it is supposed to taste like. However 1967 Taittinger caries a distinct taste of plums. I would argue that it tastes completely different from any other Champagne - Yet it is still very much Champagne. In point of fact it is a very sought after Champagne because of its unique characteristics.

In creating Obsello I have sought to create a unique absinthe using the correct ingredients and the correct process and playing upon the understood characteristics of Spanish Absenta, giving special attention to the sweetness derived from Alicante Anis, the citrus notes from coriander, and… mint. This being said the three main ingredients are still grand wormwood, green anise, and fennel. I have explored different sources of herbs and alcohol in order to intentionally make the taste unique and to my liking.

If I were to create an absinthe exactly like the other products available I would merely be making knock-off absinthe. I might as well hire the people selling fake purses on the street as my sales and marketing staff.

My goal with Obsello is to explore and celebrate specific flavors that can be derived from traditional ingredients and nothing more. This week we will be sending a bottle to Hiram for a sampling and crossing our fingers.

With regard to the US Market and the so-called "American taste". I formulated Obsello to the taste of only one person… me! Our primary business interests are in Europe and especially Spain. The US only came into play six months ago. We began building the distillery 2 years ago! At this moment we are focused on Spain. In 5 years who knows.

Sincerely,

B. Alex

P.S. Thujone levels are very important to Spanish consumers, they have become accustomed to drinking absinthe solely for the effect. It is important, for marketing, for us to tell them what they want to know and then talk about the quality of the product as your readers know it.

P.S.S. One bit of marketing for your readers. As far as I know we are the only absinthe on the market to use a noble base alcohol. Our Eau de Vie is strictly distilled from the Penedés wine stock which is widely regarded as one of the finest in Spain.

P.S.S.S. I designed the spoon and the sugar does not fall through!

Edited by Obsello

Hello I am the maker of Obsello Absenta.

Welcome to the WS Forum. After only your first post, I am looking forward to hearing more from you. I think you may have much information to offer us. I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself and visit frequently.

I formulated Obsello to the taste of only one person… me!

A perfect answer, indeed.

I am looking forward to tasting Obsello. :cheers:

1) Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

2) I'm definitely interested in trying your absinthe. I'm hoping that, as an avid absintheur, I'll be able to appreciate your absinthe. I must say though, mint isn't my first choice when it comes to the flavor, but I commend you for creating something to your own tastes. I love absinthe, and even though many absinthes out there are made to follow a set flavor profile that is similar to each other, I can appreciate them all for what they each bring to that common profile.

If pressed, I would say that probably 30-40 of the absinthes I currently have in my home would be indistinguishable from each other to the untrained palate. I can discern the subtle differences, but many people wouldn't be able to. Does that mean that they are all 'knock-offs'? No. They are different versions of the same flavor profile. Tequila, Scotch, Rum, Bourbon, etc. They all do the same thing.

3) Will I be able to taste your absinthes in any restaurants/bars in Spain? I'll be returning to Madrid in October and would love to louche up some absinthe at a cafe.

4) I must admit that I have a bit of a problem with your comment regarding thujone. Given that thujone is widely acknowledged by experts to not be the culprit for the 'effect', I fail to see the connection between advertising the thujone level, and appealing to Spanish clientele. Especially with your absinthe being on the very low end of thujone levels, that seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't a Spaniard looking for 'effect' (and believing that effect to come from thujone) pass by your absinthe to purchase one with a higher thujone level?

Also, in the years that I was living in Spain and drinking absinthe, I saw no connection with people drinking absinthe, and people looking for an 'effect'. The people I drank absinthe with drank it because they liked it.

Again, thanks for joining us here! Please don't take the above comments as adversarial in any way. I'm strictly looking for an open and civilized discussion. Cheers!

Welcome Alex! Thank you for a very frank and well-articulated introduction and response. :cheers:

I agree with almost everything you said, except for the thujone comment.

I agree that it's important to acknowledge the need for variety in the market and for a brand to present a recognizable individual character (e.g. Coke and Pepsi).

This week we will be sending a bottle to Hiram for a sampling and crossing our fingers.

My opinion is only my own!

On thujone, I feel that in a market that's been dominated by the unscrupulous producers who created the "thujone expectation" in the first place, the best response is not to reinforce that message, but to caponize it by informing consumers of the fact that while there is a subtle effect, it does not come from thujone. To do otherwise sends the message that one either doesn't know the facts, or worse, that one knows, but is willing to pander to the ignorance of the general public anyway.

I believe absinthe will sell just as well without the mention of thujone. Thujone marketing appeals to a low-brow mentality and is unworthy of our notice. It could also cause problems with importing because the TTB monitors web sites and advertising. In today's market, if you can't sell absinthe you couldn't sell shit to a fly. (speaking of low-brow ;) )

Your site is gorgeous, by the way. :cheers:

Hello Alex!

It's good to hear your comments.

I formulated Obsello to the taste of only one person… me!

There's nothing wrong with that and I hope to try Obsello soon!

Welcome, Alex! :cheers:

And, hey...you can't please everyone, so you've gotta please yourself.

Okay, spirit of Rick Nelson, go away, and channel somebody else now. :twitchsmile:

I'd really like to try an absinthe mojito.

I think the Sirene might make a tasty absinthe mojito.

Hello All,

Thank you very much for the kind welcomes. I would like to address a few of Shabba's comments and the Thujone topic that seems to be a bit of a hot button.

1. Shabba, when I used the "knock off" line I was speaking about the here and now for me as a producer. It is simply a personal way of approaching the question of what type of product should I produce. I do not mean any insult to existing brands.

With regards to Madrid. At the moment our product is only available in Catalonia. So it would be easy for me to say where to go in Barcelona. However by the time you arrive I expect to see it many shops in Madrid.

2. Thujone, and the secondary effects of absinthe.

I am talking with our marketing team about making some changes to the site with regards to thujone. There is some margin of error that we are quite careful with. I’ve advised my team that we should change the thujone comment to under 10mg/kg.

Secondly I have learned a great deal about the secondary effects of absinthe, pertaining to the production of absinthe. Unfortunately though I think would be precarious for me to share my thoughts on this topic formally. First off I am a distiller and not a scientist. Secondly, even acknowledging the existence of secondary effects could be problematic with nanny states. I suspect I will meet several of you at the Absinthaides. Perhaps we can have an off record conversation.

Cheers,

B. Alex

P.S. I apologize if it takes me a long time to respond to these threads. We have a lot on our plate here!

We here at In Absinthia got a bottle (from Obsello) last week and I'm just waiting to get the pix straightened out before posting a review on our site. The short of it is we liked it quite well - there certainly was no mint taste in the bottle we got. Michael said 7 or 8 and I would probably go 6 or 7. Nothing too overpowering, which lead to some lack of personality, but still a very good absinthe.

Thanks for the responses Obsello!

No one is denying that there exist some additional 'effects' that absinthe causes compared to some other liquors. What I'm saying is that it is not caused by thujone. Instead, it is a fairly general consensus that the effect comes from the mixture of the herbs. You can see the same effects with some other herbal liquors and liqueurs that don't contain wormwood or thujone. You can also see it in some herbal teas and other drinks.

Good luck with the product. I look forward to trying it! :cheers:

Well, first of all I'd like to say that the only taste I've had of the final bottle I got is that little glass in Boveresse. I will need to have more than that to really look into it. The previous one was nice IMHO. I will taste it tonight just for the sake of this.

The minty taste might be what is mostly changed in this last one...? I haven't enough memory from the little tasting in the room in Boveresse to compare with the previous.

Either way, I like the Obsello for what it is. It's got the typical absenta touch and it's way better than any available spanish oil mix and better than the Segarra. It's not 1969 Montana though.

Greetings.

If/when this is available in the USA, it is one I will be particularly interested in trying since my first experience with Absinthe was in Spain many years ago.

Best wishes.

(stupid keyboard can't spell)

there certainly was no mint taste in the bottle we got.

So we've not tasted the same batch then (or your tastebuds are burnt ;) ).

Well, first of all I'd like to say that the only taste I've had of the final bottle I got is that little glass in Boveresse.

True, I would also need to taste it again to get a 'clear' opinion (though from the 3 or 4 people who tasted it that night, all were disliking that overpowering minty taste).

it's way better than any available spanish oil mix and better than the Segarra.

The Segarra 45 is way better imo.

Hello again

I have so much work to do. This is a bit addictive.

I must say I am quite enjoying the different opinions.

As for the where can you search for Obsello in Barcelona... Lots of places... it is actually quite easy to find in the city. Look for specialty shops catering to rare malt whiskeys and you will find it easily.

I am going to plug one bar that I think your reader will especially enjoy.

Las Cueva del Sorte

c/ Giguas #2

Barcelona

This is a mid size cocktail bar in Bari Gotic. The place is sculpted to look like the inside of a partially melted candle and it has a great dance floor under the street.

The drink is also becoming available in the North Cost in the next week.

As for the thujone comment... sorry... dangerous territory... but your right... and that is all I am saying publicly on the topic.

Cheers! and thanks again for all the interest!

-B. Alex

I have so much work to do. This is a bit addictive.

Yeah. Tell me about it. Personally, I blame Hiram. ;)

As for the thujone comment... sorry... dangerous territory... but your right... and that is all I am saying publicly on the topic.

And smart, too.

You're going to do just fine here. :cheers:

P.S.S.S. I designed the spoon and the sugar does not fall through!

Without seeing it in person I should not have judged it, but in my experience gaps that big let the sugar through in blobs rather than single drips. I guess I'll just have to buy one sometime so that I can try it out!

Oh, also:

welcome01.jpg

Well, first of all I'd like to say that the only taste I've had of the final bottle I got is that little glass in Boveresse.

True, I would also need to taste it again to get a 'clear' opinion (though from the 3 or 4 people who tasted it that night, all were disliking that overpowering minty taste).

True. I never got to drink anything yesterday so I'll need to check it today. -without the belgian beers before... See - I think the Belgians are to blame for everything. Including mayonaise.

See - I think the Belgians are to blame for everything. Including mayonaise.

You're right, but please leave the mayonnaise out of it, I LOOOVE Belgian mayonnaise!

1338708143_1d47297564.jpg