density

Obsello Absenta

It's definitely a good article. I also don't disagree with anything mentioned in there.

However, in the interest of disclosure, that was a press release from their marketing company.

But again, I don't disagree with anything in the article. It's good stuff. And I really like Obsello. :cheers: I can't say enough about the prototype for their gin that I tried as well.

However, in the interest of disclosure, that was a press release from their marketing company.

Ah! Makes sense it would be positive and sensible.

Are all "articles" on that website press releases?

I'm not sure, but my initial assumption after doing some research would be yes.

enewschannels.com is a member of the Neotrope Business Network.

Neotrope Business Network (formerly known as Mindset) also owns Send2Press, which is a press release service.

Since the article first showed up there, I'm guessing that's the business model that Neotrope employs in order to give the releases street cred.

Again, please don't take these posts as a knock against Obsello.

:laf:

Interesting stuff about the website, and makes sense given the tenor of the article, in hindsight.

I can understand the need to be professional and clear about the intention of your post(s), Brian, but I wish we lived in a world where you didn't have to!

Good idea, Sir Jon. :)

Hello All,

I hope the sugar thing threw you for a loop. I was surprised to discover that one myself and even more surprised to found I preferred the beet sugar. Especially since with making alcohol or cooking the cane sugar is generally preferred.

It actually makes sense. Beet sugar contains an acrid acid that tends to be magnified when cooked. However in the case of the absinthe ritual, perhaps it lends a little acidity to the flavors? I think every soft drink company in the world can attest to lower PH numbers making flavors appear more crisp. I might even take it a step further and say a drop of lemon juice on the sugar might be an interesting idea (never tried it, just rambling off ideas).

Ok I have a bit of shameless absinthe promoting to do:

This is a digital copy of my presentation from a trade show where I launched the gin in Spain. It was a hit there so we made it in English and posted it to You tube. Any feedback?

Cheers,

B. Alex

I liked it!

The music and presentation were in good taste. It may have been a bit lengthy for an advertisement but to depict a legend it was enjoyable and brief. Well done! :cheers:

Now, tell me more of your gin. *gin grin*

I liked it!

The music and presentation were in good taste. It may have been a bit lengthy for an advertisement but to depict a legend it was enjoyable and brief. Well done! :cheers:

Now, tell me more of your gin. *gin grin*

That was fast! Thanks for the feedback. We try to balance the legend and lore aspect with good taste so I am glad to hear it worked out.

As for the gin there is a lot more information at www.barcelonagin.com It's been my brain child for the last year. I love the rich middle flavor of juniper. However I am not a big fan of the resin finish or the pine needle opening. Therefore what I did was distill the juniper separate from the rest of the botanicals and made distillation cuts very severe to capture primarily the mid palette flavor. After that I redistill it again with the other botanicals selected to replace the traditional opening and closing flavors I removed from the fruit.

Its very much gin but with a special personality and intensity that makes it unique. A spirits critic in Barcelona tried the final commercial distillation today and went gaga over it. It will be available in 3 weeks or so through DUNY.

Cheers,

B. Alex

Edited by Obsello

Is Obsello adverting thujone levels?Am I just reading the site wrong? http://www.obsello.com/obsello.html :poke:

I addressed this a long long time ago but I suppose its overdue to address it again. In spain we walk a different line than in the US. Our customers have been taught to look for (the word I will not mention for fear of being misquoted) as a measure of authenticity (along with black food coloring). So we use it more as a gateway to educate them about authenticity after addressing their normal first question. Its a bit of a dance but unlike a lot of the other brands in the US we have an international market to keep in mind.

Did you see the video? Joanna (my partner) and I worked for 60 hours on it!

Not yet. Will soon though.

The t-bone thing is an iffy topic. Some brands kind of skirt around it by not denying anything, others use complete falsehoods, others come out and give a full lesson. I don't really like the 'respectable amount of thujone' comment, but it's a lot more innocuous than some. I'd definitely like to see more education as to why thujone is a non-starter, but that's just my 'full and fair disclosure' paradigm.

I highly doubt that it would negatively impact business if you were to educate more. In fact, it just might lend more crediblity to your brand, and increase sales.

For the record, and again in the interest of full and fair disclosure: I lived in Spain for two years, and return almost annually. I drink absinthe every time I go. I've drank absinthe in more than a dozen Spanish cities. The large majority of the time it's with Spaniards who practice 'ir de marcha' to the utmost extreme. I've never heard the word 'thujone' ever mentioned from any of them, nor from any of the places I've bought absinthe. The only time I've heard it is at the bar in Barcelona, and that was from 'extranjeros'. It's not a terribly popular drink in any place I've visited in Spain.

Is Obsello adverting thujone levels?Am I just reading the site wrong? http://www.obsello.com/obsello.html :poke:

I don't see anything objectionable.

The t-bone thing is an iffy topic. Some brands kind of skirt around it by not denying anything, others use complete falsehoods, others come out and give a full lesson. I don't really like the 'respectable amount of thujone' comment, but it's a lot more innocuous than some. I'd definitely like to see more education as to why thujone is a non-starter, but that's just my 'full and fair disclosure' paradigm.

I don't like that text, either. Just what does "respectable" mean? This is a much better position, Brian. Bravo!

I checked out the video on Youtube...definitely well done...I enjoyed it.

The website is also excellent and very tasteful, but I was disappointed to see the "respectable amount of thujone" comment. That said, I understand re the expectations of Spanish customers, and if Obsello gets them off the Eastern European swill and into authentic, quality products, then that's a good thing. I've tried Obsello and I think it's quite enjoyable.

I hope someday the thujone reference won't be necessary in Spain, and to my mind, the sooner it's jettisoned, the better.

Hi There B. Alex,

I really like the presentation of the video and the topics you covered. However, for me personally, the music made me feel like I was seeing a movie trailer for Legends of the Fall or Gladiator or something. A bit too much for me. In contrast, I thought the song "Winter Moon" from your outstanding website (the Flash animation is about the classiest I've seen) was more elegant and mysterious, as befits a soundtrack to Obsello absinthe. Just my two cents.

I agree, the music is quite dramatic. But for me it enhanced the story being told by a great deal .... made it feel epic and legendary. Bold marketing!

I also like the music on the website, which works better as a background while perusing the pages.

:cheers:

I thought the video OK and could have been better. A lot of text could've been combined, and I would've preferred not having to pause the video to read the gold Obsello flashing pics - scrolling YouTube videos isn't as easy as it once was. I felt like I was watching a movie pitch for "300" instead of an informational Obsello presentation.

That being said, I do like Obsello absinthe, am interested in the gin, and I would like to know where the anti-absinthe pics were found because I've found maybe 1.

I addressed this a long long time ago but I suppose its overdue to address it again. In spain we walk a different line than in the US. Our customers have been taught to look for (the word I will not mention for fear of being misquoted) as a measure of authenticity (along with black food coloring). So we use it more as a gateway to educate them about authenticity after addressing their normal first question. Its a bit of a dance but unlike a lot of the other brands in the US we have an international market to keep in mind.

Is it just a U.S. thing? I originally thought absinthe purists worldwide were the ones who poo-poo'd the mention of thujone. I understand the international market point. However, I don't think other decent absinthe brands are allowed that same leeway. After learning more about thujone and the way the Czech use it for marketing, for me the mention of it puts distillers in the same category that brian has placed Mansinthe. Since the U.S. thrives on branding, hype, and faux bandwagoning 90210-style, I try not to bother with advertisements - which is why I don't have cable, satellite, et al. All that being said, Obsello is definitely in my top 10.

I agree about the length of the video (a bit too long), but the music didn't bother me, on the contrary, I thought it was good to make the pictures follow the beat of the music (although the text was sometimes a bit fast for me, but that's a detail).

About the absinthe in itself, I tasted it once this summer, and I thought it was very nice, but I was quite disappointed when I opened the same bottle again about a month ago and realised it wasn't very good anymore... Is that normal? Or was I unlucky =(

(About the thujone level, shouldn't it be mg/l instead of mg/kg, or is that normal too?)

Ahh how I hate the T-bone topic! I am going to try to write this in such a way as to make it impossible to quote out of context, so I apologize for dancing around words.

For the record, I agree with you guys on this point 100%.

Brian I suspect you and I saw 2 contrary cultures in terms of absinthe in Spain. Madrid and Barcelona are different worlds.

However I think maybe this is a timely reminder. The market here is changing and I might be able to get rid of the line by now.

What I should say is “a historically accurate amount instead of respectable”.

I think next month I am going to do an overhaul on the web page and modify it a bit.

Cheers,

B. Alex

P.S. No word on the gin in the USA. I released my first distillation of the final formula here yesterday and the distributor sold out of it today! It seems to be a hit so I may need to add another still before I can supply another market. Keep in mind we are still an ity-bity distillery. I am working day and night to get it to you guys! I can´t wait to her the reviews, this has been my baby for a year!

Truthfully I like the challenge of formulating the spirits more than I do the marketing and production side. It´s so much fun to sit down and say what would my gin taste like? As soon as I catch upon the production side I am going to release something else interesting as well (I am playing with 2 new inventions).

P.S.S. We are going to be opening the distillery for tours by appointment starting next month so if any of you have a trip to Catalonia planned drop me an email. I can also send you to some interesting sights you would never get in the normal tourist guide. Lleida (our town) was actually the first Moorish city to fall in the crusades so it is the oldest part of modern European-Iberian culture. With that comes some very neat castles, and windy narrow streets. I actually know how to get into the torture chamber of the castle (seriously cool adventure, but bring flashlights.)

Hello Alexia,

Thanks for picking up a bottle! Unfortunately you were not unlucky. Absinthe oxidizes once opened. I could fix this by adding enzymes but that would screw up its aging capacity (which I find very important). It’s a characteristic of the distillation impregnated chlorophyll (which again contributes to aging).

The high proof makes it last longer than port for example but the same rules apply. It actually gets better after a day of breathing, and changes subtly for the next month, but it goes downhill after about 3 months of oxidization. If you use an air lock for wine you will not have the problem.

I have never tried leaving it oxidized for a year or more, it will likely change again, but I cant say for better or worse (I drink mine faster than that).

Brian I suspect you and I saw 2 contrary cultures in terms of absinthe in Spain. Madrid and Barcelona are different worlds.

Definitely, but not in terms of thujone. ;) I think that a lot of producers (not just you) are scared to not mention it, because they think they'll lose out on business. That's just not the case. There seems to be just as much of a myth about how and why people by absinthe as there is about absinthe itself.

I've spent much time in Barcelona. Our hotels were always in Barri Gotic. I went out with dozens of Spaniards. Again, the only time I'd ever even heard thujone mentioned was at that one bar, and they (not surprisingly) only mentioned it to tourists who went there thinking that they'd be lighting stuff on fire and seeing wee ladies flying around the room.

Wee Ladies? Not for me, thanks.

Seriously, I think Brian's point cuts to the heart of the matter:

Absinthe is an outstanding beverage with a rich heritage that can stand alone without the hype. The Hype is the black mark in absinthe's history that the propaganda machines used to the eventual ban.

Forget the hype. Obsello is a fine beverage without it.