Crash

"Homemade" Products

Fair play. I guess until a healthy jaded cynicism develops, it is the nature of the inexperienced to be constantly outraged :laugh:

No offence to any jaded cynics here, of course. ;)

Just for your info,

My 2nd attempt at an absinthe "kit" or in this case an extract was from the GreenDragon Absinthe Company on ebay. A little plastic bottle marked "for novelty use only" which you add to a bottle of vodka. Well, believe it or not it tasted really good although the color was a beautiful artificial emerald that louched to something almost opaque neon. The seller said it is distilled wormwood with 20 other herbs and if it floats your boat 55mg of Thujone. One way or another having sipped my first bottle of real absinthe it is comparable in many ways ( its either real or damn good flavoring). For less than 10$ I was satisfied enough to order another and did. However, I prefer to go authentic.

regards Leich

Just to take the counter-elite/devil's advocate stance here:

If you liked the Green Dragon stuff, great. It's like wine, there's no right or wrong one to drink.[1] Drink what you like and be happy that you're enjoying it. That said, there's very likely better or worse, tempered by one's personal taste preferences. As there are commercial offerings that are in effect what you mixed up at home, it's not a factor of absolutes.

For the sake of a baseline, track down (locally or via the intertubes) a bottle of Kübler. It's a very well received, middle-of-the-road absinthe that many consider their "daily drinker." It also won't break the bank if you hate it.

[1] Unlike wine, there's a real potential for oils or essences in these kits to be present in toxic quantities. Without regulation, especially with the added claim of high thujone (and who knows what else) it's a bit of a crapshoot. My sense of self preservation steers me away from these products.

Lesbians are not a distilled spirit though.

Although this is true, distilled spirit can and has created temporary lesbianism in New Jersey.

I can't see taking any devil's advocate stand on this Green devil swill, It's an unregulated product of questionable quality.

As for thujone claims, Sure.... I'll believe they've spent the money to have it tested :laf: .......It's all B.S. coming from someone who laughs at the buyer once they get your money.

Then you are going to ingest undistilled wormwood, sourced who knows where it came from......No way!

Green Devil is not absinthe.

Which is why I included the caveat that pretty much says what you said. But hey, if one actually *likes* it, who am I to stop them? Pointing and giggling as they convulse on the ground is much more fun.

At no point did I ever make any claim that Green Devil/Green Dragon/Green Shitepuddle was absinthe.

Just saying that if one enjoys swill, then so be it. More of the good stuff for me.

I'd think having someone geting sick off this kind of mess is the last thing that "our thing" needs.

We shouldn't be encouraging the steep'tards .

The latter half was aimed the borderline shilling by Leichwagen.

Well, I just included it because the thread was about homemade products and Yes, its probably wise to stay away from something unregulated with uncertain quality control. Anyway that has never stopped me before so I'm wondering if those who tried it did it after trying a real absinthe. In my case, it was a distinct improvement over the herbal packet kit I started with but after another couple of glasses of ns70 today ( again you can count the glasses of real absinthe I've had on one hand) I can say you are probably right. Anyway the product was a freaky emerald green and louched as it was supposed to , to an almost neon. How about the other extracts such as from Alandria?

I've tried many of the extracts. They all have been terrible. None tasted like real absinthe. Some tasted like Pastis, but that's as close as they came. I'd rather spend money on a decent absinthe.

Anyway the product was a freaky emerald green and louched as it was supposed to , to an almost neon.

Any time there's mention of an absinthe's color that includes the descriptor "neon" I'd be afraid.

Anyway the product was a freaky emerald green and louched as it was supposed to , to an almost neon.

Any time there's mention of an absinthe's color that includes the descriptor "neon" I'd be afraid.

Well, I'm a rookie at all this. When I had another glass of ns70 last night I really enjoyed it and you are right that the green dragon stuff does not compare with a real absinthe ( I do think the guy really is trying). Last night's ns70 glass had a wonderful mint taste to it which was much different than the serpis and the loucheing action spread that wonderful licorice smell for about a 6 foot radius. I won't be going back to extracts that's for sure but the green dragon experience was all from curiosity anyway. I loved that joke about giggling while someone is convulsing on the floor Luscious Oily Lesbians!

I don't think the guy is really trying, I think he's a lying bastard.* But that's just my 1st Amendment rights talking.

*Okay, maybe there's a small chance that he's really just deluded, in denial and completely unwilling to relinquish the fantasy that absinthe is supposed to be a high-thujone drug. Maybe next he'll sell a high-phenol Scotch Whisky Extract Kit for people interested in not paying ridiculous prices for a bottle of Scotch.

Well, it appears I stirred up the whole wasp nest with the experts. At any rate, its not what i drink now but it was interesting nonetheless.Don't get me wrong. I agree with your posts and what I was trying to get at was that the guy seemed to be trying to make something that resembled absinthe ( at least to the initiated) and it was ok. Your safety concerns are especially valid and so also is the wish to see members not waste their time and money with something that probably is just flavoring at best. It peaked my interest to order something authentic at any rate. By the way, no one answered if they actually tried it though Shabba said he tried many. So what should I order next?

What you might not know is that many of the 'essences' that you see on the market are all from the same producer, then relabelled and sold as different products.

There's a good chance that this one is the same one I tried when I sampled any of the others. The best I've tried is Fantome Verte, which sounds and looks a lot like this one. It isn't something I'd ever accept a sample of again.

So what should I order next?

As a relative newcomer myself and someone who values expert advice about the best commercially-available absinthes, I found this thread especially helpful, in addition to the WS consumer reviews.

If you spend a little time looking through the Absinthe Brand Discussion forum, you'll no doubt turn up even more good information. Happy hunting!

Well, it appears I stirred up the whole wasp nest with the experts.

We've been through this more times than you can count, you poke a wasp's nest with a stick.......

It peaked my interest to order something authentic at any rate.

Green Devil is not absinthe, and it's no where near authentic absinthe, no steeping kit will ever be authentic absinthe. No matter how many time the maker lies to you.

By the way, no one answered if they actually tried it though Shabba said he tried many.

How many times should one taste undistilled wormwood? This has been done over, and over, steeping cheap herbs does not make absinthe.

So what should I order next?

Have you looked in the buyers guide?

Hint.....go for a distilled naturally colored absinthe, there are several, some now being made in the USA, the buyers guide is waiting for you.

... what I was trying to get at was that the guy seemed to be trying to make something that resembled absinthe...

That's my point. The content of his ad shows that he's only appealing to the ignorance of people who want to get high on thujone. After reading that I really can't imagine him caring about quality or authenticity.

The review section on the main site is a very important part of the Wormwood Society's ability to educate the consumer. I recommend (hint hint, nudge nudge) that everyone try to keep up with adding reviews. :thumbup:

By the way, I have decided to recant all favorable opinions regarding the extract I tried. In retrospect after trying more authentic absinthes, I have come to the conclusion that the extract products pale in comparison to a good absinthe. As one poster deftly put it, they are swill.