Crash

"Homemade" Products

Now, I am very very new to this whole absinth thing, but I am pretty sure you all had a good laugh at the title and probaby wanted to slap me for even bringing it up on this fine forum. I've looked everywhere on this site and turned up nothing on them, and probably for a good reason. But fakesinths are still absinthe....Incredibly crude, perhaps, but contain many of the same ingredients....I'm not advocating for the good or bad of homemade absinthe products, but I would like to know if anyone here has tried any, and if any are good whatsoever. help please?

Now, I am very very new to this whole absinth thing, but I am pretty sure you all had a good laugh at the title and probaby wanted to slap me for even bringing it up on this fine forum. I've looked everywhere on this site and turned up nothing on them, and probably for a good reason. But fakesinths are still absinthe....Incredibly crude, perhaps, but contain many of the same ingredients....I'm not advocating for the good or bad of homemade absinthe products, but I would like to know if anyone here has tried any, and if any are good whatsoever. help please?

Go to Wormwood Society Discussion Forums - Read This First - Forum Rules and Terms of Service:

Item number 10 is:

10. No Hobbyist Distilling Discussion; Don't Ask, Don't Tell. This is not the place.

Steepsinthe, ie home made macerated attempts will result in unmitigated drek.

But fakesinths are still absinthe

No. Really, they are not absinthe(s).

I suspect many of us have tried it before getting a little information.

In my more ignorant years, I tried steeping wormwood in Pernod. Not only was it disgusting, it was not absinthe. Keeping reading the threads. Absinthe must be macerated Grand Wormwood, anise, fennel and other herbs in a neutral spirit and then distilled. Oil mixes may also qualify but they are usually of a much lesser quality.

Fakesinths will never be absinthes.

Fakesinths will never be absinthes.

Not only that, but they're nasty to boot. How nasty? I know a guy that took a shot of some and puked.

But fakesinths are still absinthe....Incredibly crude, perhaps, but contain many of the same ingredients...
No. If I take a few cups of flour, some eggs, milk, sugar, etc. mix it up in a bowl and then set it down in front of you, would you call it "cake"? No. You have to bake it to turn it into cake. Same thing with absinthe.

If I take some barley and grind it up and ferment it and pour it in a glass for you, will you call it whisky? No. It has to be distilled to become whisky. Same thing with absinthe.

You can want steep kits to make absinthe really, really bad, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Absinthe, like gin, whisky, rum, tequila, etc. is a distilled spirit.

thanks a lot for clarifying that for me. If anyone else wants to bash me, feel free, or I can just take the topic down now Luscious Oily Lesbians!. just a curiosity that needed some expert advice :)

thanks a lot for clarifying that for me. If anyone else wants to bash me, feel free, or I can just take the topic down now Luscious Oily Lesbians!. just a curiosity that needed some expert advice :)

No problem. It gives us a great reason to emphasize that HGing (home distilled stuff) is illegal and not an appropriate topic and to point out once again that:

If you soak Wormwood in vodka (or Pernod or anything else really) not only will you not get absinthe but you'll get a drink so vile...well, words can't describe how awful it is.

We've had a lot of new members lately and these are lessons well worth emphasizing. :cheers:

Lesbians are not a distilled spirit though.

Crash, it seems like you've learned your lesson. Search thoroughly before speaking.

HAH! and they say Absinthe doesn't make you MAD

What great responses. I'm a newbie and a novice here but have to believe that these home brewing kits are dangerous, there's no age restriction to buy them and without question they cater to young kids looking for the myth based lie that thujon makes you high - or trip.

From what I've gathered the ONLY thing a massive dose of thujone will do for you is put you six feet under - and that doesn't even include a fun ride to get there.

I'm not sure of the legalities, but wouldn't it be of value for this site to list web sites known for pushing bottles of swill like King Of Spirits and Stong68?

Just a thought?

Peter :twitchsmile:

I think such a listing could in fact, serve to warn people especially the young demographics these sites prey upon about the potential dangers of these products posing as Absinthe.

In my view they're getting away with murder - selling products that are foul at best and a health risk at worst.

Perhaps, but I'm afraid a bad list would become its own twisted badge of honor, "So much THUJONE, our site was banned by WS!" I think rewarding responsible businesses is a more honorable choice. Maybe, as legitimate information becomes more wide spread, a desire to make the Recommended Vendors list might encourage the shills to take a fresh look.

What great responses. I'm a newbie and a novice here but have to believe that these home brewing kits are dangerous, there's no age restriction to buy them and without question they cater to young kids looking for the myth based lie that thujon makes you high - or trip.

From what I've gathered the ONLY thing a massive dose of thujone will do for you is put you six feet under - and that doesn't even include a fun ride to get there.

Wait, thujone don't trip my ballz? It must something else then...

Perhaps, but I'm afraid a bad list would become its own twisted badge of honor, "So much THUJONE, our site was banned by WS!"

Interesting take on this and I think these types of sites may very well indeed seize upon their bad review/warning and twist it around as all the more reason to buy their product.

I do think that's avoidable by adding a disclaimer of sorts up front by stating something to the effect that "Any site using a negative review from the Wormwood Society is simply making an attempt to take your money and sell you an inferior ~ potentially Dangerous product"

I agree that there is honor in rewarding the good guys, but I tend to also feel there's equal Honor in exposing those who shamefully prey on the naive and misinformed. What is more, I think being a non for profit .org site, the credibility here is unparalleled ~ we're not selling anything. That alone might help defray any false and misleading claims made by the types of companies referenced above.

Peter :twitchsmile:

Concur- we wouldn’t want to get a reputation as ‘snobs’ around here ;) Not saying we tolerate the HD kit crew, but I think having a Black List so to speak would just be a poor idea.

It's not a question of being "snobs" it's a question of being an expert site for true and valid information.

And an effort to protect consumers from potentially lethal products isn't a form of snobbery it's an act of concern for public welfare and the protection of those who are vulnerable.

I agree with Peter to some extent, it seems like there's some merit to the idea as far as public health is concerned. Perhaps 'lethal' is an exaggeration, but it's one thing to make a visciously overpriced and low quality product, quite another to load it with 20x the maximum safe level of those lovely neurotoxins. Another thing entirely to use that fact shamelessly as a selling point. *Chink* That was my 2 cents. So maybe a 'black list' would have its drawbacks, but maybe some more vague health warnings about high thujone, high alcohol content, maybe with some examples of brands that use these as promotional tools?

One other reason not to make a list of bad sites/products:

Without a legal definition of absinthe, listing what is or what is not absinthe or who is promoting shit instead of quality absinthe as an official endorsement from WS could potentially open the door for litigation. Even if it is a bogus lawsuit, who wants to pony-up for legal fees?

Let's actively support the WS reviews on products. It rewards the good while dismissing the bad.

Maintaining the Preferred Vendors list should be a worthy goal of businesses wanting to promote quality absinthe without giving mention to the slime buckets.