Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion Stone

Kallnacher Absinth

Kallnacher Absinth. Don't let the name fool you. This absinthe comes from a German-speaking Swiss town, hence the spelling.

I'm drinking it right now. These are my initial impressions.

It's well-balanced and the nose after dilution is pretty similar to the other blanches - very nice but not extraordinary.

The mouth-feel isn't as creamy as Kübler, or François Guy, and there's a subtle flavor in the background that's slightly reminiscent of the Jades, but it's pretty subtle. You have to look for it.

It's got a good flavor and it's full in the mouth, a bit astringent, but there's not much of a lingering finish to it other than the numbing from the anise. I find myself going back for another taste saying "What did that taste like again?"

I do like it and it's good to have around for variety. I'll buy it again, but I couldn't say I like it better than Kübler or other blanches. It's at least as good as the Emiles and I intend to add it to my list of recommended absinths. ;)

Overall, it's new, it's a little different, and for a first offering somewhat impressive I suppose. I do look forward to seeing more from Kallnacher.

It's nice that there are some more quality absinthes emerging. YMMV.

Now I think I'll go have a nap.

I said it was at least as good as the Emiles; I didn't say it was like them. You may like it better. It's similar to the other Swiss blanches around. If you like them, you'll probably like this; but as I recall, you're more of a verte man.

I agree. My Verte/La Bleue taste swings back and forth.

Right now I'd like to be a Verte man, but there is only liters of La Bleue.

...and it is tasting better than ever, again!

All I'm saying about the ball Knocker is:

I wouldn't recommend Emiles so I could not recommend anything that is no better than.

I thought the Kallnacher was better than the Emiles in every respect. The flavour was bolder, it didn't have that horrible alcohol bite and the ingredients seem to be better. Overall, it was still a little on the wimpy side. There's fennel in there, but not nearly enough. It doesn't taste like the maker has his tails technique fully worked out yet either, but the only thing I'd ever do with the Emiles is rectify them, whereas I'd actually drink the Kallnacher.

The other thing is my bottle actually said "Absinthe", not "Absinth". I ordered mine from Markus, so maybe he had them redo the label for his stock.

I can see I made a mistake mentioning the Emiles. I didn't mean to compare them, only to place it as a middle-shelf absinthe. The Emiles were simply the first thing that came to my mind.

Someone over at absinthelovers pointed out the "e" on the label of the Kallnacher too. My bottle (from LdF) is e-less.

There is no accounting for taste.

Specially Skeeter's

I also will drink Serpis before I ever taste another Emile.

At the risk of repeating myself. I'll also drink my NS70 first.

The funny thing is I mostly liked the Emiles when they came out, but that was when the only other distilled option was Segarra, and Emile 68 had a vaguely Pontarlier-ish recipe. That was also before I knew anything about how absinthe is made or had tasted HG. I assumed since Absinthe was 68% alcohol it was supposed to taste mostly like alcohol.

Boy was I wrong. Emile sucks. I always wondered why I physically felt like crap the day after drinking Emile. Now I know that it's not too different from adding everclear to a weak absinthe.

I think we're grading on a different scale.

Emile is on your (collective) bottom shelf because a handcrafted small-batch clandestine is on your top shelf; and you don't even consider the oil-mix Czechs. The average consumer has almost no chance of ever tasting the best clandestines so it's unfair to even bother comparing them. "You can't drink what I drink and everything else is crap so don't bother" is neither helpful nor true. Granted, there are very few superior absinthes for sale, but there are plenty perfectly enjoyable "mediocre" absinthes - most of which were enjoyed by many of us at some point in the distant past.

Czech/German swill is on my bottom shelf*, Jade is on top and HG is tucked away in the cabinet. That's because people who come looking for recommendations don't share our perspective of automatically ruling out 95% of the absinthe on the market.

Personal taste and preferences aside, the Emiles don't suck, they're just nowhere near as good as HG can be.

Just because something better comes along, be it HG or Jade, that doesn't mean the absinthe you raved about two years ago is now crappy; your appreciation of it simply lessened due to an expanded perspective.

Ona cuz Emile suxxx.

I decided to blend (literally in a blender!) the La Bleu with Emile Sapin! Lo and behold ...near perfection...as close to improvised Jade as one can well...improvise. I highly reccommend trying this at home!!!!!!!
Emile wins hands down...when you get a chance try all three Emiles. I have it on good authority that a FOURTH Emile is in the works hopefully to be ready well before Christmas. I know nothing else about it except that is supposedly another "experimental". If it turns out to be as tasty as the once experimental Sapin all I can do is DROOL in anticipation!!!!!!!!!!!
Lord Stanley:

The Muse Verte 68 may be an oil mix, but it's a really well crafted one...the regular Muse Verte is considered by some cognoscenti to be one of the closer Pastis to actual historical absinthe.

I would add that the Muse Verte 68 Absinthe is also in that category.

The François Guy is also well worth trying, somewhat similar to the Emile 45, but a bit fuller in flavor.

May I suggest that you check into the fine selection of LDF absinthes available at absintheonline. Their Un Emile line and the Verte de Fougerolles, are the best commercial absinthes out there.

Such a difference a year can make in an absinthe. Perspective: Use it or lose it.

*Figuratively speaking. I would never actually buy any.

I would have to recommend the BdF or VdF before thinking of pointing someone toward the Emile's.

If for no other reason than cost per bottle.

Verte de Fougerolles = $54.90

Banche de Fougerolles = $65.88

Un Emile & Blanche = $73.20

Sapin = $76.86

White Fairy = $69.54

All prices are before shipping.

Which would any of you rather drink?

Is Un Emile worth $18 a bottle more than VdF?

Is that perspective enough?

And that's why he's Da Boss.

I think the line between commercial and HG gets blurred too much by some people. Maybe all commercials suck, but until HGs can produce large quantities of easily buyable absinthe for $100 a bottle, there really isn't a good comparison.

In terms of quality, I think those are all close enough that it's merely a matter of taste. With a glass of each on the table as my only options, I'd sink the VdF and drink the UE68 in a heartbeat; I'm really over the green Fou. Between BdF and UELB on the other hand, I'd take the Fou over the Emile.

In spite of that, I have no problem recommending the VdF because I know that others, whose opinions I respect, like it. I recommend Jade as the best made commercial on the market - but I don't really care for it anymore either.

It would be a wonderful world if the only absinthes available were as superior as some of the HG's we've had - but that's like saying that 90% of wine is undrinkable because only 10% of it is truly fine.

If our reviews and recommendations are going to be at all meaningful or helpful to people, we have to be a bit more objective and less-self congratulatory on our superior tastes.

I'm just sayin', that's all.

In regard to HG's, many of us know that at any tasting, bottles of HG will be empty before someone even opens an Emile, Fougerolles or even a Jade.

They're in two different arenas - like boxing weight-classes really. You don't put a heavyweight in the ring with a lightweight.

Good points. When I was speaking of Emile, I was only speaking of my personal preference, and not about where it stood on the scale of commercial absinthes. I'd still rank it fairly low though, due to very light colour, overwhelming alcoholic aroma and weak louche.

I suppose my commercial Verte ranking would look like this:

1. Jade Verte Suisse

2. Jade Edouard

3. Jade Nouvelle Orleans

4. VDF

5. Lemercier

6. Emile 68

7. François Guy (only as a tasty beverage, since it probably doesn't contain A.A.)

8. Segarra

OK then,

Hiram would pay $18 more (plus shipping) per bottle to drink UE over VdF.

I would not.

The UE is too thin in herbs, no louche (Sebor louches just as well) and too rough in the alcohol bite.

I might drink the UE before the NO, however.

The NO may be a well made Absinthe, but I think it tastes worse than Frankie Guy.

On that point Saucier came by and had a glass of the VS I had sitting open.

I'll say this. This drink tasted much better 6 weeks ago when I first opened the bottle than it did last night when it got emptied.

That's that whole damned aging problem. IMO most new absinthes taste worst around the 2nd month of ageing. I've had a few that were 2-2.5 months old that almost tasted "salty" and were awful. Then by the 3rd month they tasted OK. Although it's possible that the VS won't stand up to ageing, and by the time it reaches the 3-4 month mark, some problems may be revealed.

I'm one of those random freaks who actually likes Nouvelle Orleans, but it is a weird absinthe.

On the topic of Kallnacher, I poured myself a glass yesterday, and now I think it isn't very good. It must be relatively young. All I taste is coriander, pontica, anise and that burnt funk, which persists after louching. I think most of those Swiss guys don't use double boilers, which could cause that burnt taste. Now I think Kübler is better.

Sometimes I think my taste buds just aren't consistent enough to accurately evaluate absinthe.

I've had this bottle since last year. It came in August I believe.

I only opened it about 6 weeks ago.

Scary thing is I have 2 bottles left.

I don't knock anyone for drinking what they like,

only for drinking what I don't like.

But if they like it, what does it matter?

The UE is too thin in herbs, no louche (Sebor louches just as well) and too rough in the alcohol bite.

Right on.

HG comparisons aside, I still wouldn't pay what I'd pay this past year for absinthe. It isn't worth it. Absinthe doesn't taste like it's worth $100+ a pop... sorry.

But you sell the BdF at the price range of say... brandy? Yeah, I'd stock it often.

HGs are a completely different beast... they're the custom, after-market answer to internet absinthe... not mass-manufactured, and pieced together with a loving touch (in many instances). That's art, not business.