Sign in to follow this  
ProgressCity

Roquette 1797

Not really so much as a date, but on the back of bottle in lower left section there should be a stamp going vertical it an L in it if i remember. I can post a pick from the back of my bottle if it would help.

Well, I see my unopened bottle is marked with "12913", which I would assume to be European fashion, i.e. Sept. 12, '13. My open bottle has nothing stamped on it.

Now I wonder if the backup bottle may prove to be a different (and disappointing) lot.... That would be a bummer.

Only way to see is tasting, but if you have not tasted what it once was like, you might not notice anything off other than the unorthodox absinthe which roquette is to begin with. Even on a good day, it is not everyones cup of tea. I liked the sample I had.

Edited by greytail

Certainly atypical and not everyone's cup of tea. I love the bottle I have open, but I do recognize that it's a very unique and unusual absinthe, unlike any other I have tasted. Very heavy on the wormwood and low on anise and hyssop. I only have it when I'm in a certain mood. But when I do, I very much enjoy it. Which is why I bought a back-up. It will be interesting to see if that second bottle matches the first.

If you bought them at the same time, it most likely will.

Also, not a lot of wormwood forward presence in the bottle in question.

Edited by greytail

I boiught them about 3-4 months apart.....

And the wormwood-forward presense is what 'makes' Roquette IMHO. Without that I can't imagine what's left.

I may open the second bottle while I still have bottle #1 for comparison.

Edited by Georges Meliès

In the bottles i have there is not as much of a profile as once was in the past is what i am saying. Even then, while it did have a good Ww forwardness, it was hardly Savauge style which was a Ww bomb.

The base overpowers. It might be the base which is bad in this batch and is throwing off everything else.

Edited by greytail

It's on sale as one of the "best-selling" absinthes of 2013. Some Jades and other Emile Pernot bottles are also on sale if anyone needs to restock ;) Think the sale ends Sunday.

I have a bottle of Roquette marked L2913 and have no complaints... perhaps some bottles were stored incorrectly... or contain some junk from the end-of-the-line or something?

Mines labeled 12913 too so perhaps the batches are few and far between? Absolutely nothing wrong with that series. Whats the batch print on yours Brian? I purchased 2 bottles at the same time but concerned if the newer batch (if so) is different?

Look closely. It is L not a 1 that precedes 2913. That is indeed the bottling from the batch in question. If you guys have not tasted roquette before and L2913 is your first, you may not notice what is wrong.

What is also significant is the fact that something has been tweaked. This batch louched thicker. A complaint you say, no. However, when this is coupled with the knowledge that at one time roquette was on the more translucent side of the louche and was even said to have been like that for historical faithfulness to the original recipe. So why the silent change if it was supposed to be that way?

That is second fiddle to the absinthe in question though.

Edited by greytail

Actually, I think it high time for someone from archive spirits to address this. Why should we, the consumers who purchase the absinthe, be sold an unfit bottle? Did you think no one but inexperienced palates would purchase?

Hey Greytail are you saying the bottles batched L2913 is an 'unfit' Roquette or is it just different from previous batches.. perhaps in a way not to your palate? Note I havent tasted any previous versions. I cant taste anything wrong with mine and its consistent with WS reviews.

Yes. And you probably could not distinguish between good absinthe and bad absinthe gee. Not trying to break your balls. Just stating truth.

It is like this and no offense intended. If you have not developed a palate for what is and what is not contaminated with tails, then you might mistake the oddity for being what was intended. My guess is this is what was going through the producers minds in distributing an obviously inferior version of their recipe.

Edited by greytail

Well I may not have the wealth of experience based on a time factor but Id like to think that in just less than a year I have tried over 30 well reviewed absinthes. Note Roquette is not one of my favourites but I didnt consider it a really unfit bad absinthe IMO.

Authentique, Sade, Butterfly, Berthe De Joux, pf 1901, la Grenuoille and La Coquette are my current palate faves. Ive also been fortunate to try MoL and Waltton Waters. I have also had preban Georges Pernod. I havent quite tried previous batches of the CO list above so cant make huge comparisons with current batch. Of all the above I rate them highly as good absinthes. However I have not had much of a chance to try really 'bad absinthes' apart from King of Sprits once. And I consider that bad. So perhaps with my limited knowledge of trying bad absinthes perhaps I dont know many bad ones? People mention Absente, Green fairy, other bad Czech varieties etc.. which I dont plan on trying tbh.

Edited by gee13

Understood, but if you have a product which was given high reviews, but then dropped in quality, would you still hold them high or would you investigate to see where the discrepancy originates?

For sure, and sometime back I started a thread about batches and their significance remember? I think Belle Amie batches were also previouly discussed. Im still on a curious discovery learning curve and if I could and had more cash I would love to be able to obtain samples or bottles of every line and batch of absinthe currently available to try, even be able to get a hold of older Roquette sample batches you mention to try to learn more. Spare a thought for those who have come in late to the game and not had the privilege to try previous batches of Sauvage and l'Ancienne. The likelihood of that happening is virtually close to nil. So Im stuck between planets like a lot of others on the same 'ship' im on. There are also other factors at play Ive heard of and am aware that causes the flavour profile to change over time and one absinthe tasting good at some time, tastes different at another..I know last July I was enjoying Jade NO immesely, but a few weeks ago I didnt as much. Perhaps its seasonal, or perhaps my palate had changed slightly, perhaps its mid bottle now. Maybe it was my mood or all of the above..but thats for another thread...

Edited by gee13

Well. In the end, what matters here is if something IS wrong with a batch and it is still sold at cost, what does that say about the producer? Would you or would you not purchase anything they offer in the future? This is a hypothetical scenario since no facts apart from two bottles have been presented here.

I don't claim to be an expert in absinthe, but I have been around it awhile now and have had some really great stuff including preban and some really bad stuff. Glad you have had the opportunity to have tasted a lot too Gee. Cheers.

Is it possible that a few bottles in the batch was not good or all of them then? Perhaps a few others who have had previous and current batches could chime in?

Anyone else get a recent bottling of this? Just had some last night and it's nothing like previous bottles. Like, strikingly worse, sad to say.

I think that was the point.

A few bottles? Perhaps. I would lean towards perhaps not though.

Edited by greytail

Yes I did read that earlier - but apart from yours and Brians? Anyone else? N=2 is not a robust enough sample. Roughly When were these bottles purchased? Are they all labelled with L2913? Would be keen to hear from those within the industry too - yes Archive Spirits and perhaps anyoneelse who distribute Pernot.

Edited by gee13

I don't expect to hear much, if anything, from industry folk. Many in the industry consider it unprofessional to comment on such things, especially when it involves such a well-respected producer. And I totally respect that.

I want to make it clear that I harbor no ill will towards EP or its distributors. I consider practically all involved to be friends. I brought it up specifically because it was so out of the ordinary. I understand that the original recipe was changed to some degree to produce a thicker louche and increase the anise levels, but what I found in the bottle was not just that, but other issues which concerned me.

And yes, that was the label on my bottle.

The intruiging part is that the recipe was supposed to be thin, as it was supposed to resemble an early version that was more in line with a tonic than the products that became vogue during the Belle Epoque. So I'm surprised that they tweaked the formula to be more in line with modern products.

I've only had an AbsintheExplore sample of Roquette. I liked what I tasted. I understand why a producer wants their product to appeal to modern palates but from a historical perspective I would prefer Roquette 1797 to be as close as possible to the original 1797 recipe. Even if it's just for the novelty of showing someone what absinthe may have been like around 1800. They could do one historically correct version and another 'more of a better absinthe version' that is based on the original recipe. I know it's easy for me to want this because it's not my $$ on the line. It would be interesing though.