Sign in to follow this  
Casper48022

A newbie in switzerland.

Hello, My name is Josh, Im 24, and I am from Arizona. Working as a bartender, and roadie, I met a swiss girl and fallowed her home. Currently I am in Bern, Switzerland with my girlfriend who was born and raised in Beil, she is now living in Solothurn and works at an Absinthe bar. diegruenefee.ch If you are ever in Switzerland, stop by.. :P But my time and money is up soon, so I will be returning to Tempe AZ, only long enough to make plans for my permanent relocation here.. I am not sure what much else to put, I am not much of the Absinthe connoisseur, That would be jenny.. She often brings me bottles she claims are illegal even here.. hah, but any conversation is appreciated, I starve for English communication. --josh

Gruetsi! :cheers:

It's sad that more Americans don't travel outside the US, if only to be reminded that we're not the center of the universe.

Enjoy your Swiss adventure......such a beautiful country!

EDIT: What the heck-heckety-heck is going on with my posts?

Wow, so many replies, and such a great crowd.. Im sure I will have to show this sight to Jenny, the Absinthe employee.. Yes, Switzerland is quite nice, the birth place of absinthe right?.. in the French part? don't quote me, but yeah. hah.. I once or twice had a bottle in Arizona, once a light green bottle ordered from Europe, and another time some neon-green wicked stuff at a party.. But never really feeling any heavy abnormal effect, perhaps it was because the psychoactives where at a ineffective level, being of the legality in the states? Then of course every few days now, jenny brings me a drink of a new brand, sometimes just glass bottles with no label at all, from the producer, too potent for legal sale.. And they are never neon green, as in TV. One or two had such a slight green tint you would not notice it without looking. Most are clear as water.. ..

As I said in a previous post, I have a few bottles I am going to attempt to mail home. Everything in my package home, to my knowledge is legal. a few products I am concerned for though, any help or advice?.. the package contains 2 different bottles of Absinthe (of most concern), A small hemp box filled with assorted swiss coins, a popular Hemp-iced tea sold at all local vending machines, liquor filled chocolates, A swiss army knife, and a few other completely legal gifts for the family..

If you are the least bit concerned, sounds like a job for a private courier. Better safe than sad.

If you want, you can send the absinthe to me and I'll make certain it gets to you safe and sound. ;)

because the psychoactives where at a ineffective level,

Low proof absinthe?

Why are the roadies always the last to know? Absinthe isn't a drug. Have you done all your required reading around the site? It's required, you know.

I understand that you do not hallucinate, or get high anything similar to THC. Psychoactive was the wrong word, but are not the levels of Thujone the guiding factor in the legality of it? I see on the guide info, it says higher quality/potency absinthes are a sales gimmick, but is not absinthe illegal for sale in the US, aside from special low-potency brands, one being "lucid"? I am not attempting to gloat, or pretend to know more than you.. But I do know that I have held in my hands, an absinthe not legal for sale in my girlfriends, absinthe bar.

Is it illegal because of the thujone or the alcohol content? I do believe that there are restrictions to the alcohol content that is allowed to be sold in certain places. Plus if its HG (homemade) its not legal to sell at all.

I would think that these bottles are illegal because they come from distillers who haven't bothered to become legally established distillers of absinthe in Switzerland. They are clandestine. Probably very traditional. Very authentic. And very likely able to meet current legal standards if the producers decided to do everything necessary to obtain a distillery license. But you can't play if you don't pay the Man his cut. If you send me a sample I'll give you a more closely considered opinion.

Hi. :cheers:

The idea of thujone content having anything to do with "potency" is laughable to the extreme. It's a red herring. It has nothing to do with anything except laws that apply only to absinthe. Thujone is allowed in larger quantities in things that aren't absinthe.

I see on the guide info, it says higher quality/potency absinthes are a sales gimmick,

"Potency" and "quality" are not synonymous. “Thujone potency” is a sales gimmick, to be sure. Quality is not. And generally speaking, the higher the former, the lower the latter.

but is not absinthe illegal for sale in the US, aside from special low-potency brands, one being "lucid"? I am not attempting to gloat, or pretend to know more than you.. But I do know that I have held in my hands, an absinthe not legal for sale in my girlfriends, absinthe bar.

My understanding of this question is as follows:

1. The only "potency" of any real importance is the percentage of alcohol by volume. This number will generally be quite high for all properly made absinthes, which is one of several reasons that the spirit is properly diluted with water when served.

2. The amount of the chemical thujone, which is also present in innocuous herbs such sage and tarragon, is of no practical significance whatsoever.

3. Due to the quirks of US and EU law, thujone in absinthe is of legal significance inasmuch as distillers must limit the amount of that chemical in the final product.

And that's really all there is to it.

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find most of us here in the forum have held in our hands more than a couple of bottles that are 'illegal' at one time or another.

Take a look at the main part of the sight, and at the very well written absinthe article on Wiki for more information.

Basically the myth surrounding thujone was bought into by just as many people here in the states as in Europe during the prohibitionist era.

Is it illegal because of the thujone or the alcohol content? I do believe that there are restrictions to the alcohol content that is allowed to be sold in certain places.

If your state sells Bacardi 151 and or Everclear, then the alcohol content in absinthe shouldn't be an issue.