Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

Agree with Ron and Ambear here. For a lot of us, tastes change so frequently, and so many times over 10-15 years with quality, availability, cost of the options available to us over that stretch that to do a Top-10 list at this point- for me- would be a useless exercise. I'd have 3 swapped out in a matter of months, I am sure, and I'd probably still have something from 2005 that isn't any longer available/had a highly limited availability... which would help no one.

I can tell you ones I like, ones I don't like, and ones I like only on certain days/moons. Again, i don't see how this would help anyone else, newbie to absinthe or vet.

While it is fun for everyone to list their top-10's/top-5's, it really shouldn't have any bearing on what YOUR favorite absinthes are. the last thing in the world I would want if for a new member to see my list/the list of another 'Old Dog' (Old, added by me- more accurate than Big- well, okay, I 'am' big... but I'm more Old...), and think "I really need to buy those 10!", or worse "I bought Larspeart's #1 fav... why don't I love this??? I must be doing/tasting something wrong!!". You certainly are not doing anything wrong. :) We just don't have the same tastebuds/nose... and that's alright, :) :).

If brands/operations keep growing as they are now, these lists are going to get more and more unhelpful, as there will likely be so few consensus 'winners'. 'Back in the old days', it was easier to do this, since there were ~20 absinthes, ~10 drinkable ones, and ~5 good/great ones.

Ahh, to those simple times... :rolleyes:

I agree with Ron and Lars.

Besides, My mood changes faster and more often than a person with a hormonal imbalance.

<------- Not very wise but fairly huggable. ;)

At this stage of my Absomphesizing™ "career", I've certainly narrowed my list to more like a top five or six Those would include Pacifique, Meadow of Love, Blues Cat, L'Ancienne, and Sauvage, and Berthe de Joux. To attempt to add another four absinthes to that list to fillit out would involve taxing my beleaguered memory far too much. :wheelchair: :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

I'm sure it's just my style, but when I was buying my first couple of online orders it was very helpful to look at what experienced absintheurs like, read the reviews, and yes when I had to decide between two or three choices I would throw it out there and ask for people's opinions. The advice I got was terrific. (I still remember Ambear saying "Ridge fo sho." Best advice ever.)

Sometimes the result didn't quite work out: so many people had Jade 1901 on their list... I bought a bottle and didn't like it. But my husband loved it... and a couple of months later when I tried it again I found I DID like it. Either it had matured or I had.

Anyway, point is -- the top ten lists might just be a jerk off exercise, but I actually did find them helpful.

They are neat to read.

Start at page one and watch the trends.

The varieties and opinions change dramatically over time.

There were things on early lists that some folks won't even consider buying now due to the absinthes we have now. That may have been a bit extreme but still, it's interesting to read.

It's also good to bump this thread from time to time. Thanks to those that do. :cheers:

A lot of absintheurs here don't care to make a list. Mostly because, as the wise manatee points out, tastes change every time you reach for a bottle. It's what you're in the mood for. We have a list in our minds of absinthes we like, and are glad to have in our collection. But that's really the extent of listing or ordering goes.

It's not about having a single favorite, or ten favorites. It's more like going to your stash, perusing the bottles, and pulling out a few for drinks that evening. Or morning. Or whenever. It's okay to make several trips to the stash. Maybe some you haven't drank in a while. Or even ones you haven't pulled cork from yet.

But that's just my thoughts.

Great thoughts. However, if everyone thought this way this thread wouldn't exist.

For me, there are some brands that I'm embarrassed about not having purchased a bottle yet, but I need a bottle to drink a bit of them before putting them in my top 10.

I could just take my top 10 reviews, but just because I reviewed something well doesn't mean it's a favorite.

Not that I'm a big dog, but my list is sorely outdated as well.

Whenever you're ready to go at it again. And don't be embarrassed about the absinthes you haven't bought. There are plenty I haven't bought. Bankruptcy is far more embarrassing.

Agree with Ron and Ambear here. For a lot of us, tastes change so frequently, and so many times over 10-15 years with quality, availability, cost of the options available to us over that stretch that to do a Top-10 list at this point- for me- would be a useless exercise. I'd have 3 swapped out in a matter of months, I am sure, and I'd probably still have something from 2005 that isn't any longer available/had a highly limited availability... which would help no one...

But you never know. I'd say it is the reader's choice to decide how to use this info.

While it is fun for everyone to list their top-10's/top-5's, it really shouldn't have any bearing on what YOUR favorite absinthes are.

My emphasis.

I'm beginning to think you're a genius. However, except for the most proficient autodidact, it is undeniable that all appreciation of new areas of pursuit begin with informed guidance from the more experienced.

... what YOUR favorite absinthes are.

I've posted one of these lists twice. In my opinion, no time wasted, no regrets. It's just info. It's never on my part meant to be forever valid. It is just my opinion at that point in time, and I make no implication that anyone else should agree with me.

Agree with Ron and Ambear here.

Agree with what the wittle kitty said.

The title of the thread is Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes. If you post a list here, the only person you have to agree with is yourself.

I for one, as a relative noob, have mined this thread to make my short list for purchases with excellent results. While some of the more experienced members might find such a list a useless exercise, threads like these really do help the uninitiated cut through the many choices to find a few reliable favorites before venturing off on their own.

If you post a list here, the only person you have to agree with is yourself.

Fair enough. :cheers:

I agree with Bill and FPB.

And you can quote me on that. :tongue:

For me, revisiting my old favorites list was like a window into the journey.

At least half of what I loved would no longer make that list...perhaps more than half. I'm sure that would be common for many folks over time. A list like this will actually demonstrate to us HOW we've changed, and what we've come to appreciate and notice in absinthe.

Early on, I would put what really tasted good to me on those lists; now however, what really tastes good to me is so different! In fact, my current favs likely would not have made my first lists at all, as they are more about balance, impression, and how they make me feel, rather than simply how they first taste.

My current favs are the more trad style absinthes, that smell like a distillery when you pop the cork. I'd be surprised if I could even put 10 on that list now. I prefer the simple clear absinthe elements without a lot of bells and whistles. Looking at my first personal favorites seems now a rite of passage in some way, and like fine art, great absinthe reveals its subtleties and maker's technique the more time you spend with it. Hey in a few years, I'm sure today's list might be quite different too.

One thing is clear, I dove in head-first, didn't know shit, tried everything I could, wrote reviews despite not knowing shit, eventually realized I was filled with waaaay too much energy, (but don't regret it) buried my head back in life, and came out of it all recently with a quieter, simple respect for what is truly great... including the people in the absinthe world...the real reason I love absinthe so much.

Heck...write those lists! They're like a diary!

Edited by Scott M.

You forgot to include your new list, Scott ;)

I would be very curious to know what you'd put on there, even if I think I already know one or two. As for myself, my list would remain almost entirely the same, although I'm still evaluating the Blues Cat and I suspect it will make it into my top ten.

The list of absinthes I drink is obscure. You've probably never heard of them. No excuse me, I need to slip into my skinny jeans.

One thing is clear, I dove in head-first, didn't know shit, tried everything I could, wrote reviews despite not knowing shit, eventually realized I was filled with waaaay too much energy, (but don't regret it) buried my head back in life, and came out of it all recently with a quieter, simple respect for what is truly great... including the people in the absinthe world...the real reason I love absinthe so much.

I can relate to this in so many ways...diving in head first, that is. It's what I'm doing now, and loving every minute of it.

Edited by abaxial

The list of absinthes I drink is obscure. You've probably never heard of them. No excuse me, I need to slip into my skinny jeans.

1fb6.jpg

By virtue of the cost of production for the real deal, I don't think there's any such thing as a hipster absinthe. Although, I suppose there's potential to hipster-ize what you louche it with...

A lot of absintheurs here don't care to make a list. Mostly because, as the wise manatee points out, tastes change every time you reach for a bottle. It's what you're in the mood for. We have a list in our minds of absinthes we like, and are glad to have in our collection. But that's really the extent of listing or ordering goes.

It's not about having a single favorite, or ten favorites. It's more like going to your stash, perusing the bottles, and pulling out a few for drinks that evening. Or morning. Or whenever. It's okay to make several trips to the stash. Maybe some you haven't drank in a while. Or even ones you haven't pulled cork from yet.

D'accord. I don't like "top ten" lists of any kind. Why not nine, or eleven? I've never made a list of favorite absinthes, on paper or in my head.

oh Gawd, here we are again.

today's list...in no particular ordure...

1. L'ancienne

2. La Coquette(3yo bottle)

3. Perroquet

4. La Grenouille

5. Ridge Verte

6. Pacifique

7. Marteau(now that it's safe again)

okay, enough. That'll do, pig.

Edited by buddhasynth

No excuse me, I need to slip into my skinny jeans.

According to what I see daily, skinny jeans are no longer hipster enough. One must also don ye olde sock garters as well.

Anyway, point is -- the top ten lists might just be a jerk off exercise, but I actually did find them helpful.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person who started this thread is one of the biggest posthounds around here. :pirate:

I've found this thread to be very useful to me over the last 2-3 years.If it wasn't for this thread I may not have known about, or tried some brands that I really love.Hopefully the vets here who haven't yet tired of this exercise won't (regardless of how often their tastes change).In my opinion it would do a disservice to the new and enthusiastic who use this thread as a point of reference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person who started this thread is one of the biggest posthounds around here. :pirate:

And I wouldn't be surprised if that posthound started this thread based on a suggestion from another one of the biggest posthounds around here...and on Farcebook...and on Twitless...and on...and on...and on... :laugh:

D'accord. I don't like "top ten" lists of any kind. Why not nine, or eleven? I've never made a list of favorite absinthes, on paper or in my head.

That's pretty much my problem. When I thought about it I couldn't decide or rationalize a list in my head. Ten is also a number that doesn't jive with me but that's off topic.

Skinny jeans, my arse.

They're girl pants. :rolleyes:

Only if you're deck enough to get them from the thrift store.

Edited by Evan Camomile