Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

The reason why it's against forum decorum to quote the post immediately above yours is that it's distracting, takes up needless space, and because we're all intelligent enough to follow the flow of the conversation. If you're replying to one specific part of the post above it's okay to quote that one part, and it's okay to quote entire posts back a few posts in a thread (although it's still best to just quote specifically what you're replying to), but there's really never a reason to quote the post immediately above yours in its entirety. At some boards it's proper to do because posting goes so fast that by the time you hit the button to publish your post there's already been 5 more published first. But we usually go at a slower pace here.

PLEASE!

This "don't post the previous poster" stuff cracks me up! I love doing it just to creak those rusty cranks of yours.

Everybody has their mechanical voodoo: never downshift into first, never unplug the keyboard when the computer is on, wait ten seconds before restarting a computer, don't post the previous poster. They may have meant something at some point, but the world has changed and they no longer make sense-- celebrate!

Point-by-point, each "reason" not to quote the previous poster is bunk:

1) "it's distracting": how? I see it as clear and disambiguating. Your avatar and sig are are at least as distracting, especially because they're repeated and are not topical. I don't ask people not to use avatars and sigs-- even though they're redundant, they make things clearer, just like quoting the previous post.

2) "takes up needless space": what were you going to use that space for?! These bits flip on and off pretty fast, and they don't get tired-- flip 'em! They don't resent you making them switch, and again, your avatar and sig take up space over and over again, significantly more memory space than the words.

3) "because we're all intelligent enough to follow the flow of the conversation": so true! Then why is the quoting so disturbing? Why are the abuse of those bits so offensive, while the overall wastefullness and general inefficiencies of forum software are happily tolerated?

4) THE BIG DEAL:

If you're replying to one specific part of the post above it's okay to quote that one part, and it's okay to quote entire posts back a few posts in a thread (although it's still best to just quote specifically what you're replying to), but there's really never a reason to quote the post immediately above yours in its entirety. At some boards it's proper to do because posting goes so fast that by the time you hit the button to publish your post there's already been 5 more published first. But we usually go at a slower pace here.

When I'm trying to be clear, I take no chances. I have no way of knowing if a person is going to post a reply before I'm done writing mine, especially because I tend to start a reply and then get distracted (see "how do you unplug?") so it might be hours before I hit "Add Reply," or I might delete it entirely.

This ain't a 300baud BBS. There's no end to bandwidth-wasting, distraction-inducing garbage on _all_ forums-- this is lousy software for being compact and concise.

I'll be picking up a bottle of the second production run. I can afford to do it now and with a larger run it may sell out slower than a day and half.

I do not mean to offend our generous host, but scolding new posters about grammar, spelling, or quoting can be unwelcoming. How often do you correct the language or diction of people you meet in the real world? Or, for that matter, of anybody except your own kids or students?

I understand that it's intended as a playful introduction/induction, but the quoting "rule" is inconsistent with how people use computers now-- people generally set up email to quote the previous message, even if it means some text is copied many times. It's counterproductive to scold people for a practice that is the norm everywhere else.

I'll continue to point out the pointlessness of "don't quote the previous poster" scolding!

:cheers:

I'll be picking up a bottle of the second production run. I can afford to do it now and with a larger run it may sell out slower than a day and half.

Yeah, hoping I like it more. Still best to plan for a rush, no?!

Such a high quality product, I hope they diversify like they did with the Hangar vodkas and make a more traditional verte with a Northern California angle-- herbalism is alive and kicking up here, and not just for the Mendocino sorts of herbs. Maybe a sweeter one to the monkey's savoriness.

So disappointing to hear about people stashing unopened first run bottles... disappointing that I didn't buy a second one to stash... :laugh:

I understand that it's intended as a playful introduction/induction, but the quoting "rule" is inconsistent with how people use computers now--

I don't intend it as playful and I don't think I'm not one of the people you're referencing. If the quote doesn't have specific relevance please keep it out of my way. It's like dropping litter on the path, in my opinion. Litter pisses me off because it indicates you lack the proper respect for those around you.

On the subject of the house rules regarding quotes, Salsa wrote:

but the quoting "rule" is inconsistent with how people use computers now-- people generally set up email to quote the previous message, even if it means some text is copied many times. It's counterproductive to scold people for a practice that is the norm everywhere else.

I'm afraid I cannot agree with this. In my own house, I ask my guests to remove their shoes (a custom I acquired while living in Japan). This is not consistent with how people generally behave in the United States, but I still ask it.

To accord with the WS forum rules regarding how to quote posts, accurate spelling, correct English grammar, and (above all, perhaps) reading the Frequently Asked Questions page is to demonstrate simple decency and respect to the regulars who have posted here for years.

I don't think the regulars are out of line when they ask newcomers to remove their shoes at the door. And I have to observe, posters here are an order of magnitude more patient with newcomers than is often the case on the Internet (absinthe fora in particular).

I love doing it just to creak those rusty cranks of yours.

Since you've had your fun pissing off the venerable Peridot, how 'bout if you give it a rest for a while because my tired ol' eyes are reminding my brain of the dumb asses that refuse to use their turn signal just to piss me off. It's just a tiny rule requested of a polite society.

Unfortunately, the State of Montana in their infinite wisdom will not let me shoot people for not using turn signals. Hiram perhaps mistakenly gave me power, in hopes I would use it cautiously...I think.

But really, can't we just :PLAYNICE:

Corrected because my eyes and brain are tired. ;)

In respect to T73 I'm not going to reply point by point here, but I have to respond to this because it's a miscommunication:

2) "takes up needless space": what were you going to use that space for?! These bits flip on and off pretty fast, and they don't get tired-- flip 'em!

I mean page space, not storage space. If everyone does it the page becomes long and more full of what has previously been said than with anything new. It's incredibly, intensely annoying to read. I read some forums where this is common practise in order to find out news about some of my interests and it becomes a chore to wade through the muck, especially quotes within quotes within quotes. I wouldn't ever even consider posting at those forums. And ultimately we try to keep everything flowing like a conversation here. Quoting entire directly preceding posts is like repeating everything a person says back to him before replying.

...please keep it out of my way. It's like dropping litter on the path, in my opinion...

How 'bout let's all please lighten up. I don't litter, always use turn signals, and always respect my hosts' requests. I had no idea you weren't being playful-- that's even more rude, then; if it's not your party, why not let your host invite the other guests to remove their shoes, if it matters to your him? I'm being perfectly clear about why the "rule" is flawed, but nobody seems to care, deferring to guidelines they're violating themselves more than enforcing.

The "rule" itself aside, it often comes across as condescending when people point it out. That sort of petty scolding drives people away from the forum.

The word of the day is curmudgeon.

Now, wasn't somebody trying to talk about absinthe?

Pouring another St. George-- I want to like it....

I do not mean to offend our generous host, but scolding new posters about grammar, spelling, or quoting can be unwelcoming. How often do you correct the language or diction of people you meet in the real world? Or, for that matter, of anybody except your own kids or students?

I understand that it's intended as a playful introduction/induction, but the quoting "rule" is inconsistent with how people use computers now-- people generally set up email to quote the previous message, even if it means some text is copied many times. It's counterproductive to scold people for a practice that is the norm everywhere else.

I'll continue to point out the pointlessness of "don't quote the previous poster" scolding!

:cheers:

It's not a big deal. I've been a "newb" at enough message boards to know you've got to expect to take some grief from the regulars no matter who you are. However, I do admit I've never been scolded for quoting on a message board. That's a new one. For me, it absolutely helps to clarify who you are replying to by using the quote feature and it's never been a distraction on any message board I've frequented. If anything, it makes things more sensible and orderly. But, I'm cool with it if the preference around here is not to quote. I'll do my best to abide.

I mean page space, not storage space...

...it becomes a chore to wade through the muck, especially quotes within quotes within quotes. I wouldn't ever even consider posting at those forums. And ultimately we try to keep everything flowing like a conversation here.

I totally understand-- it sucks to wade through the muck. I think the blame lies mainly with forum software-- loads of wasted screen space, incomplete threading, bad searching, threads going off-topic all over the place (like this one) because they can't be split. They're all bad and mucky to some degree. Visually, it's always a disaster. But it all sort of works, especially when people try to explain themselves clearly and politely ask others to do the same.

Quoting entire directly preceding posts is like repeating everything a person says back to him before replying.

But it has that whole "quote" style applied to the block-- your eyes can skip it instantly; it's not a waste of time. Not a valid analogy, but I see the point that you find it annoying. I'm just trying to point out that annoying things might be annoying for flawed reasons.

Among others, there's no guarrantee that another person hasn't posted in the interim, making it potentially unclear what you're referring to.

I've made my points, folks can get pissed about silly things if they like, but the scolding is a bigger "offense" than the "offense." If something gets too long, ask nicely for a trim. If you're getting a little cranky, try a little lube.

SO... abisnthe-- good or no?

The word of the day is curmudgeon.

You're getting closer, but that doesn't mean that you're not still getting on my nerves. This is the Franco-Suisse absinthe cabal, afterall. It's well known that we give no quarter to individual liberties or dissenting opinions.

Since it's the custom here to only quote when selecting something specific out or when quoting a post further back I read the quotes to establish context. It's annoying when it turns out to be what I just read. It's stupid and unnecessary. Preview your post and it will show at the bottom of the screen if any new posts have come up. If they have, then reference the person you're responding to by name. Or copy the text, go back, and then retrieve the quotes. Or scroll down to where previous posts are listed and copy what you want to quote and put quote tags around it in your type box. There's a lot of ways to make sure your message is clear without defaulting to quoting the most recent post in its entirety every single time you submit your own.

We don't haze or flame newbies here. We're way more gentle than most forums I've seen. If people are run off from WS because of the way they're treated they're not going to survive anywhere on the net. It's not a big thing to ask. The only time it's an issue is when someone decides that they're absolutely going to make a big deal about doing what they're asked not to. And then we're accused of making a mountain out of a molehill. And then it's not so much about the actual issue of post quoting or grammar or whatever, but rather about someone walking in from outside, acting like they own the place, and then taking a dump on the coffee table when they find out otherwise.

I had a sample of an earlier batch, shared with me by DrinkBoy, and I understand it's been tweaked some since then.

I think I recorded my impressions here somewhere; it wasn't half bad, but needed improvement.

Hmmm... I'd probably say Lucid, as it's more characteristic of what a normal absinthe tastes like. St. George is very good, but I can see it as being a bit overpowering for someone new to absinthe. It's got a very strong flavor, and is a bit more on the savory side as opposed to the sweet side.

I'll second the recommendation of Lucid. To be sure, there are some who do not care for it, but to my mind it is a pretty good absinthe that has the added virtue of affordability. It may be a poor cousin of the Jades, but the kinship can be discerned. I drink it often and treat myself to PF 1901 or the Roquette 1797 on special occasions.

In fact, I just ordered a new bottle of Lucid, as I've run out.

What Marlow said. Both times.

Oh, and briefly on the subject of quotes, forum niceness and the like; if ya think we're rough, just try hangin' around the Louched Lounge for even a minute or two. You'll see, Hugo.

I'm just going on what's available at my local liquor store. They have Lucid on the shelf and did have the St. George. I did get a bottle of the St. George but I think I'll pick up the Lucid as well to start with. Thanks for the opinions.

Well, I finally got my bottle of St. George from The Jug Shop today! :yahoo: I was fortunate to get it. I called their shop this past Monday to check the status of my order since I had not received it yet and was starting to get worried. They guy on the phone fumbled through paperwork for at least five minutes and said he could not find a record of my order. He looked once more in a different stack and found it. It had been misplaced and was about to be discarded. Luckily, he said they had two cancellations and would honor my order even though there were other people still on the waiting list and he did not know if they were ahead of me or not. I don't intend to open this bottle. I will put it away for collection sakes. I will wait until the next batch comes out and get a bottle for drinking then. :cheers:

I would get one from them, but they're asking $99! Ouch...too much! ;) They could never get away with that in Oregon. Our liquor control commission regulates every price. You can go to any liquor store in the state and all the prices are the same. They even have sales at the same time.

Agree that they are overcharging. I'll wait for the next batch from St. George, and in the meantime I'll enjoy the fact that we actually have choices in absinthe now.