Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

Very true, PB.

Now it happens that I had my clock-radio set to wake me up to a classical station, and that station switched formats to country. Well, one song I've heard several mornings now is "What Do Ya Think About That". I find it incredibly ironic. For example this excerpt:

I don't give a damn what other people think

What do ya think about that

I wear what I want to, overalls work boots

Crank my music up loud

Like to sling a little mud in my four wheel drive

Trek it all into town

Shoot a little eight ball down at the pool hall

Drink a beer with my friends

It's all stuff the singer learned to like from his friends. He probably can't change the way he dresses or start drinking wine, because his friends would think he''s "putting on airs".

At least I'm a little bit aware that I've been culturally conditioned - even if it's only that I've been conditioned to rebel against the culture.

-- T

(stupid in a Socratic way)

Expectations themselves can be a tricky influence on our perceptions of reality.

The suggestion that I can't give an honest assessment of St. George because I have concerns about how it was made is insane. And it's even more insane that if I do taste it in a non-blind setting and hate it, my opinion will probably be dismissed as being shaded by preconceptions.

Calm down, Jazz Hands, you make nervous when you're angry and start flashing those menacing fingers. My implication was that any time we have high expectations for anything it is common for the reality to be a let down. I mean this as a general psychological phenomenon. A Buddhist once told me that it is possible to distinguish hopes from expectations by the consequence resultant when the actuality is encountered. Expectations having an investment characteristic that usually (I think the Buddhist's argument was always) leads to feelings that cannot be fulfilled. Hopes are open-ended and don't have that investment quality. I guess the emotionally fulfilling thing is to always have low-expectations so that they can be exceeded. Better is to just give up the attachments.

I guess the emotionally fulfilling thing is to always have low-expectations so that they can be exceeded.

My expectations for most things tend to be low.

No, they have decided to make an announcement that they have the last three bottles available from the first batch, and they want to auction them off, first publicly in the store, and then if they aren't happy with the bids they get there, they mean to put them on ebay to see if they can fund their children's education on these three bottles alone.

This sort or mentality actually leaves me surprised that I'm not seeing any on eBay at the moment.

But they've only got until the next batch comes out - and isn't that the end of the month? Once there is a supply again, will those bottles be worth anything over retail? As far as I can tell the only thing unique about the bottle is they've been stamped in red ink "Property of the Zoo". Er, no, I mean there is a small round red thing that says it's the first lot from Dec of '07.

And it may well be that future batches further dial in the recipe.

But crap, if it can be auctioned off I'll start one here and now, with the minor twist that instead of paying me, the winner makes a (tax deductable) donation to the choir department at UC Irvine.

I would change my radio station. ;)

That only works if the station wants to change...

-- T

(edit: added reply to T73)

And it may well be that future batches further dial in the recipe.

Living in San Francisco, I have no worries about finding plenty of St.George on local shelves in the coming months and, as you say, it will only be getting better as it progresses.

I've had a few more drinks of St. George and I don't care for it in spite of wanting to-- just doesn't taste like absinthe to me. There's a marshmallowy, dusty/chalky sweet flavor (meadowsweet?) I've never tasted before, and I can't figure out how it works with the flavors I know and like. The greens flavor (nettles?) kind of works ok, but needs something (green anise?!) to cut its savoriness.

I hope they mess around with the recipe because it's a quality product; I just can't warm up to the unusual flavors.

I for one am currently enjoying my first glass of the St. George. It reminds me very much of Duplais Balance and even NO a little, though not quite as light as either. The slightly minty, slightly spicy aftertaste really sells me on this absinthe. Though I've yet to try the Lucid, which shall be my next glass, I must say this may be my absinthe of choice for quite a long while. I'll also be having to edit my top 10 C.O. absinthes list very shortly; this one's definitely top 6.

It may also be worthy to note, since there's been some recent price discussion in this thread, that I got it at BevMo for $75.99 plus tax.

I for one am currently enjoying my first glass of the St. George. It reminds me very much of Duplais Balance and even NO a little, though not quite as light as either. The slightly minty, slightly spicy aftertaste really sells me on this absinthe. Though I've yet to try the Lucid, which shall be my next glass, I must say this may be my absinthe of choice for quite a long while. I'll also be having to edit my top 10 C.O. absinthes list very shortly; this one's definitely top 6.

It may also be worthy to note, since there's been some recent price discussion in this thread, that I got it at BevMo for $75.99 plus tax.

I picked up a bottle of the St. George a few days before New Year's at K&L in Redwood City. I had asked about it and they said they had a few bottles in back and were able to get me one. Price was around $75. I haven't tried it yet and am a relative beginner to absinthe so I'm not sure how constructive my comments would be anyway. Now I'm having people telling me not to drink it because the sealed first run bottle will be a nice collector's item in time.

I'm still waiting for The Jug Shop to send me the bottle I pre-ordered. I emailed them yesterday and am still waiting to hear from them about my status. :g:

Hi, Hugomarink. Welcome to the Wormwood Society. Please introduce yourself in the Newcomer's Section.

And there's no need to quote the post immediately preceding yours.

If you really truly believe that you will at sometime in the future you'll receive much more than your original investment on a future sale of your bottle of the St. Georges, then hurry back to the store where you bought it and get another. You seem to imply they have more. Then you can save one to make a fortune with, and drink the other.

Unless there's no interest in the first batch anymore once the second batch comes out in a month or so.

Hi, Hugomarink. Welcome to the Wormwood Society. Please introduce yourself in the Newcomer's Section.

And there's no need to quote the post immediately preceding yours.

If you really truly believe that you will at sometime in the future you'll receive much more than your original investment on a future sale of your bottle of the St. Georges, then hurry back to the store where you bought it and get another. You seem to imply they have more. Then you can save one to make a fortune with, and drink the other.

Unless there's no interest in the first batch anymore once the second batch comes out in a month or so.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm quoting you here because I'm responding directly to your post. I hope that's alright. I'll go over to the Newcomer's section in a moment and properly introduce myself, but first, in response to your advice:

I originally bought the bottle of St. George to drink but I am a collector at heart (not of absinthe but of many other fine things), and have since read that this bottle might be a unique collectible since it's a first bottling of the first US-made absinthe, so now I am torn about opening it. It's not that I'm looking to make a profit but I like owning things that are rare, unique, or special. It's the collector mentality.

I doubt I can get another bottle but I may go and try. The same liquor store also carries Lucid, so I could easily get that if I just want to drink absinthe, or I may just go online and order something from overseas. Then again I hate the idea of not drinking (or smoking) something that's made to be enjoyed! So we'll see. I may hold the St. George for 6 months or so and see when they come out with a second bottling and then go from there.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot here in the short time since I've found the site so it's been great fun. I had a brief dalliance with Absinthe courtesy of Betina Wittels about 8 years ago, which may explain why I haven't bothered with it again until now.

OK, I'll go intro myself in the Newcomers area now. Thanks again for the welcome. Much appreciated.

The reason why it's against forum decorum to quote the post immediately above yours is that it's distracting, takes up needless space, and because we're all intelligent enough to follow the flow of the conversation. If you're replying to one specific part of the post above it's okay to quote that one part, and it's okay to quote entire posts back a few posts in a thread (although it's still best to just quote specifically what you're replying to), but there's really never a reason to quote the post immediately above yours in its entirety. At some boards it's proper to do because posting goes so fast that by the time you hit the button to publish your post there's already been 5 more published first. But we usually go at a slower pace here.