Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

Neat photos Alexander!

Last night I went for a walk with SWMBO in downtown San Diego, and along the way stopped into my favorite local wine shop. They carry a decent amount of premium spirits so I looked around to see if I they might be sporting a bottle of Lucid or Kübler next to their Absente. Lo and behold, there were 4 (count them 4!!!) bottles of St George absinthe on the shelf. My giddiness was cut a little short with the sticker shock...marked $99.99

I stopped by Wally's Wine last night.

Now in the past few days they had the St. George list on their site for $80 before tax and shipping (which together basically put a single bottle at $100), then the listing changed to have a one bottle limit, and now it's gone.

Anyway, when I went there, I was told they still had a few bottles in the back - didn't put them out because of the demand. And they'd raised the price on them to $120! Yowza!

So if anyone really wants a bottle of the first run, as opposed to waiting until drinkupny gets the next batch and starts selling it at a slight discount with free shipping...

-- T

When I called the place the next day they told me they were sold out...that's what I get for waiting a day. Then the guy on the phone said he'd check...just in case. One...bottle...left. He was kind enough to hold it for me until I could get there to pick it up (glad I live only 5 minutes away). So, for a hunnerd bux plus tax I now have my sooper seekrit first edition 'merkin green stuff :yahoo:

I be's happy :cheers:

Being slower than the average drinker during the holidays...I really must thank TDB publically for picking up what was probably the last bottle of St. George in the greater LA / Orange County area with me in mind. About 8 of us finished 2/3s of the bottle last week. But it was worth being in good company with other WS members.

Thanks TDB

Edited by ProgressCity

:thumbup: What he said B)

PS: I thought the St George was delicious, although not as complicated as other absinthes, I believe it will do quite well in drinking establishments, once they figure out how to set up a fountain. The method of louching at the Magic Castle was rather crude but got the job done.

OK, there ya go.

One interesting thing I will note:

I served the St. George to a group of about 10 on New Years Eve.

Of the group, two of us exhibited a strong stop-light red flushing of the face and upper body after consuming a glass or two. We both stopped drinking the St. George, and shortly returned to normal color. The rest experienced no ill effects at all. We had all consumed (more or less) the same food and beverages during the course of the afternoon and evening.

Not something I've ever experienced when drinking Absinthe (pastis, raki, arrak, etc) before, or after consuming any of the botanicals listed on the label in food. The only botanical I've never had in any form is the Meadowsweet.

Amusingly, one among our group has severe and dangerous food allergies. He was perfectly fine.

I did not experience this effect when trying small amounts of the St. George in cocktails or having a couple sips of a small glass previously.

I'll be interested to hear if this was just a fluke of statistics or interactions, or if others have ever experienced anything similar.

~Erik

Oh My God

Two good news in one day.

A Belle Amie and a Marteau left England with my name on it yesterday.

A St. George Absinthe Verte left San Francisco on 12/29 and will be here tomorrow or Saturday.

The new year is off to a great start! Cheers! :cheers:

Although we managed to have a couple of glasses to taste at the St. George opening night party on the 21st, they had already sold out their supply of bottles and I wasn't able to buy any. It was no great loss. One sample glass had been enough for me, anyway. I found it drinkable, but it wasn't going onto my top-ten list anytime soon.

When I got back from my vacation, I stopped in at the little high-end liquor store in my neighborhood to ask if they had gotten any. They said that they had been allotted 3 bottles from their distributor, but they hadn't arrived yet, and they had not been wait-listed yet. They should be in this week.

"Great!" I said, "let me put my name down for one of them when they come in."

Not so fast.

No, they have decided to make an announcement that they have the last three bottles available from the first batch, and they want to auction them off, first publicly in the store, and then if they aren't happy with the bids they get there, they mean to put them on ebay to see if they can fund their children's education on these three bottles alone.

No, I won't be bidding. Once it had become clear that local customer loyalty was meaningless to them, and that being the first to ask for it was going to do me no good, I wrote them off. I think I can manage to wait until the second batch of this mediocre offering hits the stores.

I wasn't quite so excited when I read the Star Anise bit on their website. I'm not going to knock it before I've tasted it, but I can say I've lost a lot of interest

Depends on your taste.

So you've tried it then? Funny, I don't see a review up for you, nor Zman yet. ;)

And yes, if you haven't yet tasted it, I'd be more than happy to send each of you a small sample.

I do feel bad calling the St. George mediocre, because that word really means "bad" by most standards, and the St. George isn't that. My frustration with the way the liquor store is treating it colored my language, somewhat. It certainly doesn't merit being treated like the Holy Grail at the expense of treating local customers fairly.

I liked my glass of it well enough, and in fact, here I am wanting to buy a bottle of it, so obviously it gets my vote as a valid drink. My memory of it is of an interesting absinthine drink, worth having and possibly one I'd come to value for a change of pace, like the Libertine 68º, but not what I'd reach for on a night when I was craving that absinthe thing...

Depends on your taste.

So you've tried it then? Funny, I don't see a review up for you, nor Zman yet. ;)

And yes, if you haven't yet tasted it, I'd be more than happy to send each of you a small sample.

Hold off on that; I want to do a blind tasting.

Absinthe or not, is it worth $75-$100 for a bottle?

If it's between St. George at $75 and Lucid at $60, I'd gladly pay the extra $15 for the former. It's the best US available absinthe so far.

Hold off on that; I want to do a blind tasting.

Funny you should say that...

I wasn't going to spill the beans this early but, I'm in the middle of organizing a formal blind tasting event for anyone who is interested in doing it. I've come to realize that there is a lot of personal bias that shows through in many reviews, and I know that a lot of absinthes would score higher if people didn't know what they were drinking and who made it.

So, that said, anyone who might be interested in doing this, please feel free to PM me. No date is set in stone yet, but I'm thinking sometime in February or March, if I can straighten out the logistics by then.

If not, this may be something great to do at the TotC.

For reasons that are my own, I will never do a formal review on the interweb. My opinions are base upon a sampling of the pre-release version 9.0. But I will glady accept your offer of a sample and let you know what I think.

If it's between St. George at $75 and Lucid at $60, I'd gladly pay the extra $15 for the former. It's the best US available absinthe so far.

I agree with you. I was very dubious about St. George but I've tasted it twice with an open mind and I actually like it. Neither Lucid nor Kübler are to my taste although I don't find them inherently bad.

I haven't tried it, Shabba. My comment earlier was just to say that lately I find my tastes not going with the flow often enough that I'm not going to take anyone's word for it. I'd love to have a sample, though, and would give you my honest opinion. I'm not determined to dislike it.

I'm honestly not remotely interested in doing a blind tasting at this point. I don't like and dislike things based on what I expect or based on what's cool. I had high hopes for Lucid and thought it was shit. I didn't have very high expectations for the US release of Kübler because of a sample I'd had of the European release a year before, but I do enjoy it quite a bit.