Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

There is a back room at Barley John's, a brewpub just north of Minneapolis, but it's kind of a haul from the airport/mall/downtown area. The St. Paul homebrew club meets there, actually. I keep thinking, though. I know lots of good beer bars, but none that would allow people to bring their own spirits.

Yeah, I gotta be up there February 13th-15th. Not...looking...forward...to...that...

Indeed...I'm flying to Milwaukee tomorrow. I still have to figure out if I still even own a sweater.

All it says on the St. George label (and their Certificate of Label Approval) is "fine brandy." Now, if you don't qualify what kind of brandy it is, it has to be grape brandy—any other fruit brandy must be identified as such:

"“Brandy” is grape brandy. Other types of fruit brandy must be further identified, e.g., “Peach Brandy." Grape brandy must be stored in oak containers for a minimum of 2 years."

So you can't say you're using brandy if it hasn't been stored in oak for two years or more.

Hey Hiram,

I could ask, but I'm pretty sure there's a blurb that follows similar language as in the BAM in 27 CFR 5, section 8, that allows any Brandy or mixture that doesn't conform to any of the standards of section d, paragraphs 1 through 8 to be designated as simply "brandy", and "such designation shall be immediately followed by a truthful and adequate statement of composition." Like "Fine Brandy With Herbs."

Hmm, you'd think since they aren't providing a CT for Brandy (the "Verte" is coded under 649, Other Spirits & Proprietaries), but rather for a product that was distilled from a non-neutral spirit base made from wine, that there'd be some wiggle room in there.

"Laugh while you can, monkey boy."

Sweet!, my formerly UNLIMITED Messenger is now FULL, and my REPLY will be filtered through a moderator or Hiram... Good job!

PS. Remove every post of mine that's public/non-public. Remove them, please… both my contributions and those of my doppelgänger. And good luck in everything you do.

Edited by Grim

I was browsing through some old threads on how to make the perfect Sazerac and decided to pick up some rye whiskey and give it a go. While in one of the better liquor stores in Frederick, MD, I asked the proprietor whether he'd heard anything about the St. George and whether he had any interest in stocking it. When I said "absinthe," he said, "do you mean the real thing, with the wormwood?" I said yes, that it was making a comeback. He said, "a lot of people have been asking about it. I'll see if we can get some."

A "lot" of people are asking about absinthe in Frederick? That's interesting. The word must be getting out.

I was so intrigued by this conversation I forgot to buy a bottle of Peychaud's bitters, so no Sazerac tonight. Oh, well, maybe a little of the PF 1901 instead....

The curly thumb of my right hand? Yes, please do.

Sweet!, my formerly UNLIMITED Messenger is now FULL, and my REPLY will be filtered through a moderator or Hiram... Good job!

PS. Remove every post of mine that's public/non-public.

I have quite a bit of worthwile material I've committed to non-public sections of this forum. Remove them, please… both my contributions and those of my doppelgänger. And good luck in everything you do.

Edited by Grim

The curly thumb of my right hand? Yes, please do.

PS. Remove every post of mine that's public/non-public.

When you have a worthwhile contribution, it will be approved.

As in "on the occasions when he posts worthwhile contributions, as he has in the past, they will be approved. But when they're just monkey-shines and insults, such as the "Domino's-Suisse" remark above, they'll be ignored."

For those who don't know, this is taking a swipe at me for the fact that, rather than distill Marteau Verte Classique personally, I commissioned it to be made after having developed it myself. An example: "Anyone can design a pretty label and produce a vanity absinthe. I can do it tommorow and so can you. He produces by email and wasn't even there at the distillation. Give me a break!" Because everyone knows it only counts if you actually do it yourself, just like Henri Pernod did for 118 years.

Wow, H, drinking his own personally handcrafted product must have done absolute wonders for his longevity!

It's amazing that anyone would have even payed any attention to the esteemed Dr. Magnan, at all. :rolleyes:

As in "on the occasions when he posts worthwhile contributions, as he has in the past, they will be approved. But when they're just monkey-shines and insults, such as the "Domino's-Suisse" remark above, they'll be ignored."

I don't believe it is fair that this thread now flows this way. It is made to appear that I coerced your wrath, rather than I ridiculed you after being placed on moderated posting privileges.

The "Domino's-Suisse" remark was not the insult that sent up a flag for the moderator to take action, it was offered after I was already placed on moderated posting privileges. It was an insult, but it was an insult you've approved, and added to the thread perhaps to add further justification to taking the action you have against me. In fact it was allowed/approved by you, and added back into the thread sometime after 3:00am, as others are aware.

Originally, I tried to offer some insight on the character of the law. Like a wise-guy, you responded with:

"Yeah. I'll get right on that."

I, being an equal smart-ass:

"The curly thumb of my right hand? Yes, please do."

Then, I was placed on moderated privileges. That was the utmost of my antics that forced your hand. But the alternative is a much nicer fiction.

Edited: Grammatical correction.

In the interest of fairness. Here we go again.

I don't believe it is fair that this thread now flows this way. It is made to appear that I coerced your wrath, rather than I ridiculed you after being placed on moderated posting privileges.

The "Domino's-Suisse" remark was not the insult that sent up a flag for the moderator to take action, it was I offered it after already being placed on moderated posting privileges. It was an insult, but it was an insult you've approved, and added to the thread perhaps to add further justification to taking the action you have against me. In fact it was allowed/approved by you, and added back into the thread sometime after 3:00am, as others are aware.

Originally, I tried to offer some insight on the character of the law. Like a wise-guy, you responded with:

"Yeah. I'll get right on that."

I, being an equal smart-ass:

"The curly thumb of my right hand? Yes, please do."

Then, I was placed on moderated privileges. That was the utmost of my antics that forced your hand. But the alternative is a much nicer fictioin.

You left out the part where "The curly thumb of my right hand? Yes, please do." originally said: "Hey, only trying to help."

I have no control over where your comment falls in the thread, it is where it is. I "approved" it not because I approve of it, nor to make it look other than what it is, but because I thought it would be fair for readers to know where your sentiments lay.

That was the utmost of my antics that forced your hand.
Not the utmost. It's the cumulative effect that did it. Some here, some there; it gets old.

So, shall we get back to discussing St. George?

Since I'm having issues getting a Montana delivery arranged, perhaps would someone be so kind as PM me with an offer of assistance?

Not looking for a freebie, of course.

I had one of those! Never could get a damn drop of anything to come out of it though, so I pitched it. Mine didn't have a scull on it though. ;)

If it worked, it'd be swell for dripping water... :cheers:

I made sure to try it out when I got home. It has a steady slow stream perfect for that of pouring shots. It also came with some kind of little piece so you can keep the flow going kind-of like that on a gasoline dispenser at a pump.

Can't wait to put it to good use. :D

Edited by kuchenhure

So I get this message today regarding my St. George order (from KL Wines):

"Due to certain severe restrictions on shipping distilled spirits, we're unable to fill any liquor choices within your order. We are able to accept orders for wine, but other alcoholic beverages are treated differently in the state chosen for shipping. We are very sorry about this inconvenience."

This was after they had TX listed as a shippable state.

... :thumbdown:

So I get this message today regarding my St. George order (from KL Wines):

"Due to certain severe restrictions on shipping distilled spirits, we're unable to fill any liquor choices within your order. We are able to accept orders for wine, but other alcoholic beverages are treated differently in the state chosen for shipping. We are very sorry about this inconvenience."

This was after they had TX listed as a shippable state.

... :thumbdown:

That is exactly what happened to me. Luckily, The Jug Shop was happy to fill me order!

Yes, they are sold out of the first batch of 200.

That happened within one week following the announcement.

The second batch of another 200 will be available after the first week of February

and they have all my shipping and payment information as of this morning. :cheers:

where can i buy this stuff?

Try the following distributors:

Hi-Time Wines

K&L Wines

The Jug Shop

D&M Liquors

Wally's Wines & Spirits

All will be carrying St. George as soon as it is available. Be sure to use the site's search function to find it. However, don't expect it to be available long. It will sell out as fast as Hannah Montannna concert tickets!

I'd called Hi-Time last week and asked if they could reserve me a bottle. At that time they said it proabably wouldn't be in until after the first of the year.

Is there inside information that it will be arriving this week?

-- T