Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

Short answer is, craft distilling isn't cheap, no matter where you do it, and the San Francisco Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to run a business in the whole of the US.

~Erik

As a homebrewer and someone familiar with the craft beer industry I can sympathize with a higher cost for a craft product. I was unaware of the difference in base spirit. In alcohol, as in most other things, you get what you pay for. If the product is superior I have no problem paying what it's worth.

It really is what I would describe as a 'dramatic' absinthe because there really is so much going on in there. I think a newbie might be overwhelmed by it. Because of the strength of the flavors, I wouldn't say it would be an everyday absinthe, but it's definitely appealing to me as something to drink while hunkering down by the fire during a big snowstorm.

I wouldn't say it would be an everyday absinthe, but it's definitely appealing to me as something to drink while hunkering down by the fire during a big snowstorm.

Damnit, now I want a bottle of that stuff, like, yesterday! :twitchsmile:

The subzero temperatures here are making me want to move someplace warm.

What? It's only 5 below zero right now!

Yeah, I gotta be up there February 13th-15th. Not...looking...forward...to...that...

Up where?

Lucid/Viridian and Kübler purchase Industrially produced grain or beet neutral spirits. Think giant factory size continuous stills producing huge amounts of ethanol an hour. Lucid/Viridian and Kübler then flavor and re-distill these relatively low cost ethanols and bottle them.

St. George buys wine, distills the wine into brandy, (probably at least partially in a pot still as they are also working on a brandy,) then flavors that brandy and re-distills. Aside from the grape growing and wine production, it is all done at their Alameda distillery.

Just adding:

According to the TTB Beverage Alcohol Manual, "Brandy" as a general class designation is:

"Spirits distilled from the fermented juice, mash or wine of fruit or from its residue at less than 95% alcohol by volume (190 proof) having the taste, aroma and characteristics generally attributed to brandy and bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume (80 proof)".

All it says on the St. George label (and their Certificate of Label Approval) is "fine brandy." Now, if you don't qualify what kind of brandy it is, it has to be grape brandy—any other fruit brandy must be identified as such:

"“Brandy” is grape brandy. Other types of fruit brandy must be further identified, e.g., “Peach Brandy." Grape brandy must be stored in oak containers for a minimum of 2 years."

So you can't say you're using brandy if it hasn't been stored in oak for two years or more.

They also mentioned they have been told to expect the next batch February-ish.

I'll have to wait 'til then.. I have a Duplais and a Marteau on the way. That pretty much wipes out my extra Christmas money! :cheers:

How does a product like Eau de Vie get around that? It's my understanding that that stuff is essentially a fruit brandy and bottled almost direct from the still. Is there a separate classification for Eau de Vie?

Edited by biznacho

"Other Brandy - Flavored Brandy" "Other Specialties & Proprietaries", etc.

For instance, the Class/Type for Clear Creek Distillery's "Eau de Vie of Mirabelle Plum" is actually "plum brandy." Their "eau de vie de poire" is pear brandy. Their Douglas Fir eau de vie is "other brandy - flavored."

[...]

Short answer is, craft distilling isn't cheap, no matter where you do it, and the San Francisco Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to run a business in the whole of the US.

[...]

I was thinking about this and I didn't want to imply that Kübler or Lucid are not craft distillers.

Because, on criteria of scale, they are, and they have very good products.

Just look at them versus gin distillers like Beefeater or Tanqueray.

But, there is almost no one taking the detail of the product as far from source material to end product as St. George is.

To me, as a spirits geek, that is very cool.

As they say in the internet world, your mileage may vary.

~Erik

Please forgive me if I do this, but I copied my post from

No-Coast Necessary, Will Flyover Ever Find Festivities? Dang, I can't link it!.

to this thread:

" I am so up for this. *boing!*

I will bring Marteau Classique and Belle Amie to share.

Hopefully you will try some?

Here are my suggestions ~ edit them freely:

The Event: MidWest MidWinter St. Valentine's Day Icy Louchefest

The Reason: Because we're sick of snow already

The Place: Minneapolis (The back room of an affordable restaurant) (Deluge, please suggest)

The Month: February 13 (Tues.) or 14 (Wed.) We could party with Shabba!!!

There are great French restaurants such as L'Hotel Sofitel's Chez Collette.

The only problem is that it's so pricey, few could do it and we'd want everyone to come.

Anyway, that's in Bloomington.

The trick is to find a place that will allow BYOA.

So, do you have a favorite idea?

Allow me to toss this out and await your response. "