Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

St. George Spirits skipped distributing the second batch here in SoCal. All I see is 3rd release. Not as well aged as 1st release and still a bit heavy on basil/camphor notes. I have yet to sit down and compare the 2 releases side by side. Less anise/basil and more wormwood should help make this a better modern absinthe.

I think it could be improved but at least it's better than Lucid.
I can't say the same. I'll agree I was put off by the smell and to some extent the taste of Lucid's first release, but after a year it seemed to aged well and lost the funk.

Do you know which edition you had, Peridot?

The recent bottle I got is absent of the fish-funk smell the first had, but still overall holds the same flavor. It just hit the shelves around Colatown at $55.

Oh, I thought PB was talking about which version of St. George.

I have had Lucid from two different batches and both were liquid shit. I just recently finished off the Lucid I had from Summer of last year. The wormwood had come forward and the burnt caramel taste had mellowed some, but the sweaty funk had grown so that it dominated every aspect of the flavour.

It's present in Lucid and in all of the Jades. In my bottle of NO it grew over time and was overpowering at the very end of the bottle. It's strong to begin with in PF1901. In Lucid it wasn't too terribly strong; what overwhelmed me was the caramel flavour. But by the last glass it was intense.

Oh, I thought PB was talking about which version of St. George.

I was. Knowing he's into a third run so quickly I just gotta think well, maybe, y'know it's not exactly the same anymore.

Maybe SG is being tweaked and getting more refined with each batch. I would assume so since it's so new anyway, that refinement would be something they strive for. No doubt they troll the forums and such looking to see people's reactions!

the sweaty funk had grown so that it dominated every aspect of the flavour.

Wierd. I'm with Elf on this one. The funk has receeded almost to the point of disappearing in my bottle. Is there a certain heb that you're extremely sensitive to, Peridot, or do you think it's the base? Although it couldn't be the base unless it was BOTH bases. Very odd indeed.

Strange. The exact opposite for me. I wonder what's causing the funk? Production?

Hopefully it's something Ted will tweak.

Nobodys told him, but when he's not home, his friends fart in the bottle and seal it again. Did that once wit a Gatorade and left it in the fridge for a buddy who always helped himself without asking.... That.... Was a funny day!

Shows what you know. I don't have any friends.

Besides the funk that I find so unbearable now in Lucid is an armpit-smelling funk. Sharp and salty. It makes PF1901 nearly undrinkable for me, as well as Blanche de Fougerolles.

Shows what you know. I don't have any friends.

Besides the funk that I find so unbearable now in Lucid is an armpit-smelling funk. Sharp and salty. It makes PF1901 nearly undrinkable for me, as well as Blanche de Fougerolles.

Where do you store your absinthe out of curiosity? Could temperature/surroundings/humidity have some type of impact on it I wonder? Only reason I suggest it is that you say it seems to get worse the longer you have the bottle.

Same place I keep all my other absinthes which all age well. A bookshelf in my room. My apartment is a basement apartment that stays very cool and is pretty dimly lit. Lucid, Jade NO, and BdF have been the only absinthes to have that sweaty flavour become more pronounced over time; In the NO I couldn't even taste it until it had sat for a year. The BdF started developing that taste about halfway through and was chokingly awful by the very end. I have a tiny bit left. Lucid had it to begin with but it's worse now. But as I said, some of the other off-flavours have become less pronounced. Still there and still distracting but faded.

The PF1901 was someone else's and was a newly opened bottle.

Well, the NO is one that I do like and it wasn't bad until the last glass. The PF1901 wasn't mine so I didn't suffer through it for long. The Lucid was a sample I got maybe 4 glasses out of, though I've had it on two other occasions from two other sources to compare and make sure mine wasn't from a crappy bottling. 6 glasses of Lucid in total, and it's always been to see how it's developing, not for enjoyment. And I let my girlfriend drink most of the BdF. I just went back and tasted it every now and again. So I'm not that tough.

I was gonna say, it doesn't sound like you do like drinking them! The only way I'd have an open bottle around for a year is.... Well, no, I wouldn't. I wouldn't have a closed bottle closed for more than a few days. Then a service life of maybe a month, max. I need to get that 1L swiss absinthe so I've something cheaper to drink.

Spose I've had some wines sitting around for a year. But I don't know that I'll ever open them. At some point I'll need a wine cellar. It's THE gift these days. I'd rather beer or Drambui

Do you know which edition you had, Peridot?

No. I think it's the second batch. LeRoy graciously sent it to me so he could say for sure.

Yep, its the second batch.

I was gonna say, it doesn't sound like you do like drinking them! The only way I'd have an open bottle around for a year is....

I have some absinthe bottles that have been open for ten years. I still have bottles of all the Jades that are from the first run and all are open, as well as many other brands. I collect way more than I drink, but it really allows me to be able to taste them as they age.

In fact, this evening I retasted the L'Artisanale. It's aged well, however there now a curious pepperminty or spearminty flavor that I never picked up before. Curious, but not bad in any way.

Well, the NO is one that I do like and it wasn't bad until the last glass. The PF1901 wasn't mine so I didn't suffer through it for long. The Lucid was a sample I got maybe 4 glasses out of, though I've had it on two other occasions from two other sources to compare and make sure mine wasn't from a crappy bottling. 6 glasses of Lucid in total, and it's always been to see how it's developing, not for enjoyment. And I let my girlfriend drink most of the BdF. I just went back and tasted it every now and again. So I'm not that tough.

After careful research, I've discovered the common element amongst all the absinthes that Peridot mentions here, and doesn't like. It's Peridot!

;)

Just kiddin' big guy.

Wow, you guys are much fancier than I am. Or maybe just have such capatious cabinets, and stores of fundage I haven't imagined.

Once I let a couple beers age for a year before giving them to my Dad as a gift! They were the 070707 Verticle Epic. They aged one year and then dot sent and drunked.

Well, the NO is one that I do like and it wasn't bad until the last glass.

Ah. I had that happen with the P30. I let the last of it sit for a long time. When I went back to it, it had an unmistakable funk in it. I had to sink it. My friends tried it too and noticed it as well. It had a nice 1/8" + layer of sea monkeys in it too.

Peridot you were right about wait till we tasted ST George. Have had several glasses, it is different but to my untrained taste buds Lucid is better but not so much better that I wouldn't order ST George again. Oh and by the way this is my fourth bottle of Lucid and each bottle has been slightly different each time but this bottle is the best.

May be the batch or just us either way we enjoy it very much. Hope the Jades make it here soon rumors abound about this, someone said Lucid was kind of like a Jade lite if this is so the Jades will sell well here.

:cheers: