Sign in to follow this  
Brooks

Kübler hits Los Angeles

Best call ever: I'm sorry, sir, due to the wildfires in your area we won't be able to deliver your package until Tuesday.

No wonder! Never tell a man he has to go without his package! :shock:

I'm reminded of a certain King Missile song.

Speaking of finding it, the bevmo website has a stock counter where you can select a location and see if an item is in stock. For those that have a bevmo nearby.

w00t!

According to the site, they have one bottle in stock!...I'd better be fast!

Side note: A friend of mine who works at BevMo says that Lucid should be hitting their shelves fairly soon. He didn't have an exact ETA since he's fairly low on the totem pole there, but I figure it must be pretty soon if even the lowly peons know about it.

I would have shown up there.

They were appropriate in going for the nostalgic theme

But hey, wait a minute!

Did they use body paint during The Belle Epoque?

post-1538-1196028317_thumb.jpg

Just stopped by Bevmo, not to buy, but just for the fun of seeing absinthe on the shelf. They have a shelf for absinthe-drinks: Herbsaint, Absente, Pernod and Prado pastis, Kübler, and Lucid.

There was an empty row where there had been about ten bottles of Kübler, with a price/description card at the front of the row, on the shelf. Apparently it had sold out almost instantly.

Right next to it was an untouched row of ten bottles of Lucid. I swear there was dust on the bottles.

I'm sure the cat's eyes had something to do with that. It just doesn't scream "absinthe" to anyone and is probably more likely to remind them of a musical than an alcoholic beverage.

As much as I dislike the eyes on Lucid, they would make it very easy to spot at a bar, even if it where on the second or third shelf.

Mr. Breaux better be working on a new recipe for Lucid or it's lights out!

Or maybe he'd be better off getting Jade on the approved list.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Well I called the local Big liquor store in Oneonta today about Kübler. This was a follow up to my question a couple months ago "Can you get Kübler?"

Their answer first was that they talked to their distributors sales people who said:

"Oh no. You can't get real absinthe in the US. It's illegal. Wormwood is a hallucinogen you know. The US Kübler is a modified version of the European recipe without the wormwood. But no, we can't get that. We only have Absente, which is just like real absinthe without the wormwood."

So I had to explain how wormwood is not a hallucinogen, and even so, the TTB has analysed... blah blah You folks know all this, why am I telling you?

It was all news to him.

So once he seemed to get it that real absinthe might be available, it was "well you can't get it in New York."

I pointed out you can get it in NYC, and last I checked it's still part of New York.

"The distributorships are divided into two big zones, and what you can get in the southern part of the state (ie NYC) is different than what we can get here. But we Absente..."

Thanks dude.

I left a message on the Importers voicemail. Not that it will do me any good. Not when the sales folks for the wholesale liquor distributors still think absinthe is illegal and some kind of drug.

Good job actually explaining the story to the man. Whenever I am met with similar responses to Absinthe inquiries I just shake my head and walk out. One would think that a flyer of sorts with information and updates on the current legality of Absinthe would be sent out to stores and distributors to drum up sales. I suppose this may have been done and ignored. If I owned a liquor store I would try to know as much about my products and future products coming onto the market. Unfortunately it seems most places are more interested in creating giant bulk stacks of Jack Daniels and Soco by the front door. So it goes.

That's a fine idea, Ari. Perhaps someone could master such a flyer for easy download from the Wormwood Society website so WS members could leave it with their local beverage stores?

I pointed out you can get it in NYC, and last I checked it's still part of New York.
That's just a legal technicality and has very little to do with the real nature of things, though.

That's a fine idea, Ari. Perhaps someone could master such a flyer for easy download from the Wormwood Society website so WS members could leave it with their local beverage stores?

But who could be counted on to do such a thing? It would need somebody who's done a lot of research, and would find it worthwhile to write an authoritative, but concise piece that covers the history, issues and questions surrounding absinthe for the purpose of education. Almost like an encyclopedia entry. Oh wait...

I struggle with the folks in the liquor stores as they are trying to do business and I'm trying to make a convert. So, I leave them with a few sites to peruse at their convenience. If they are interested, some are, then we have better visits later.

The short but infomative flyer should do very well.