Trid

Steampunk

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

While not quite done (and rather poorly photographed), I had to share my latest creations.

These puppies are made entirely of metal, wood, glass, leather and (faux) ivory. Well, there's a little plastic on one, but not much...

When the Martians invade next week I'll be ready, will you?

When the Martians invade next week I'll be ready, will you?

The Martians landed in Wisconsin in April, a newsworthy development largely ignored by mainstream media. Do they think Reverend Wright is a bigger story? Meanwhile, the entire Midwest has been anally probed.

Beautiful gadgets, Retro! Hope they work, because flying saucers ARE headed your way. post-143-1210191793.gif

So back to this Martian thing, could it be that the Martians are actually guarding the Gates of Hell like in Doom 3, or are they here to warn us of the impending Hellian Invasion, or is it all a misperception on our part, and they are just different camps representative of varying degrees of elemental Martianity, not unlike the difference between the Uruk-Hai and the Mordor Orcs? Mars being all about Fire and war, it could easily be the case. And the whole Hell angle goes over great in Middle America, maybe it's just shrewd martian marketing. And are they in big Walker-type ships or like in the old George Pal rendition, with the buggy eyes and the heat ray thing going on? And most immediately important to us, are they gonna let us stay on as indentured help or are they gonna set the Zombie Holocaust in motion and let us all pick each others' bones clean?

I feel ready, but it's always good to think ahead.

This thread gets stranger every time buddhasynth changes his avatar...

The guns are just for fun/display, although I'm already planning a short film or two around them. Nothing like putting the prop before the script!

If there is a raygun above the mantle in act one...

What kind of sound do they make when fired? Pew? Bwom? Zap? Dwayne?

Dwayne might be the best sound effect for a ray gun I've ever heard of. Well done!

I know nothing of these steamy punks Hiram mentioned...

Another author I really enjoy is China Miéville. His books "Perdido Street Station", "The Scar", and "The Iron Council" are sort of Steam Punk-ish.

Well its only about 9 months late, but those books are swell. If you haven't yet, you should find yourself a copy of "Whitechapel Gods," by SM Peters.

Interesting article in ARS Technica

"There was a time when technology used to be accessible to the common person, everyone could be an inventor, and certainly every owner of any piece of technology was an owner-operator," Morten Iversen, the man behind the upcoming steampunk action/adventure/RPG game Recoil: Retrograde, told Ars. "Now most of the technology we use, we don't understand how it works..."

Don't know if this has already been posted, but in my travels of steampunk this is one of my favorite items.

http://boingboing.net/2009/05/20/steampunk-guitar-amp.html

The only thing that makes me a little sad is it's not the choicest internal amp workings, but the spirit is there. The same guy makes some other amazing pieces as well.

Guess the cat's out of the bag on the steam punk secret garden wedding theme...

I used to like the idea of industrial revolution trinkets and style, as it reminded me of the stuff my grandparents had, until I found out about steampunk. That totally turned me off to a lot of that. Too much style over subtsance.

I prefer the Industrial Revolution of simple machinery, elegantly done, but with fit and function at the top of the priority list.

Or maybe it is just my anti fad psycosis. If I see somthing I like, but it is a fad, I will wait for the fad to die, and then buy the crap out of it. Miatas, Teva sandals, music (still getting used to that new fangled band 'The Police"), bell bottom jeans, tie dyed shirts, etc.

Edited by Miguel

Steampunk is not a fad, it is a genre. It has been around nearly 30 years, but evidence in film can be seen as early as 1954's 20,000 leagues Under the Sea.

It has a very misunderstood, and often misused design ethic, as is evident in much of the current "tophat and goggles" Willy Wonka silliness, which is not part steampunk's true heartbeat.

The film Dune, for example, was rich wich elegant steampunk imagery. It is not all about monocles, or looking like a Borg. It's purest form evokes the design ethic of the Victorian era, steam-power, and melding these with modern technology. Picture your home computer framed in oak and leather with polished brass corners, utilizing old-fashioned type-writer keys, powered by by a copper mini-boiler. Tell me THAT is not elegant!

You had me until the copper mini boiler. :)

I think the genre might be a backlash to the lack of quality materials (ie plastic) in modern gadgets. The technology of my grandfather's stuff might be a bit comic today, but the quality of the 'box' materials was superb. As an example, they had a mahogany music thing. It housed a record player and a radio behind a folding door, and the materials for the knobs, covering the tonearm, the dial display and such, were very nice. The speakers were housed in the lower part of the piece. When closed there was no vivual cue as to what it was except for a green light when it was on.

Sonically speaking, my MK 750 speaker system and related electronics beats the snot out of that system, but visually speaking the tables are completely turned around. Those of us who saw such quality as kids, long for it in an age of plain cheap materials and decor. Even those that are used to plain drinking glasses find something magical in old style glasses, like in the case of my daughter and my absinthe gear.

I just don't like the term punk I guess (classic rock old fart that I am). I prefer the term Industrial Revolution, to invoke early industrial styles. Like a Henry rifle. Anyone who saw Silverado came out with a woody for that piece. :)

Edited by Miguel

I think the "punk" aspect can be seen more in the "youthfulness" of some of the aspects..."new" technologies and fashion trends paired with the Victorian elements. I can't think of much within steampunk that has anything to do with real punk whatsoever.

I think the "punk" aspect can be seen more in the "youthfulness" of some of the aspects..."new" technologies and fashion trends paired with the Victorian elements. I can't think of much within steampunk that has anything to do with real punk whatsoever.

I think the "punk" came from the fact that the term steampunk was a spinoff of the term cyberpunk.