Trid

Steampunk

Nice input...both!

I like the spoon, and the gizmotron it rode in on...or something like that.

I've been thinking also of a brouilleur of needlessly complex design...doing the same thing as the seesaw type, but more Rube Goldberg-esque while not quite crossing the line to become a fountain.

...but then, I'm silly like that. :twitchsmile:

I'm wondering if

might be an example of steampunk. Regardless, I love it. When I first saw it I was just enthralled with the music and the endearing little protagonist. Now that I've watched it numerous times I realize it's quite layered and metaphorical.

More fun video.

I dabble in 3D animation and I'm blown away every time I see this.

Have you seen the stories passed around where it's claimed that this a real machine?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/musicmachine.asp

Oh, and these are the people who actually did it:

http://animusic.com/

They did this one, which kinda fits the topic anyway (I likey):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1hqF9nqabQ

Not exactly steampunk, but p.f. cool anyway! :thumbup:

More about Tesla.

One of my fav bands, Guillaume, is a future surf-rock band called "Man or Astro-Man?" Now defunct, and I unfortunately never got to see them live, but they would commonly use a tesla coil in their shows. That, and a band member would set his TV helmet on fire and run around. The lead guitarist and sometimes vocalist, aptly named "Coco the Electronic Monkey Wizard" now works to promote Biodiesel, and the drummer, "Birdstuff" played with The Polyphonic Spree for a while.

Not exactly steampunk, but a darn fun band to dance to.

Why didn't I know about these guys? This stuff is gorgeous.

http://www.parkeharrison.com/

The gallery here at UNM had some of their work up a few years ago. I never wrote down the names. Cool stuff, some of their prints area really huge, which contribute quite a lot. :thumbup:

I've heard some songs by Man or Astro-Man? but I couldn't name them or recognize them if I heard them again. I just remember their name coming up on Pandora and remembering it. Cool name.

Not merely tunnel shots, but obviously a subway (or "Metro") somewhere. Much more an urban arterial duct than just a hole with two openings.

This thread has been great for authentic "oohs" and "ahs". Thanks everybody.

Unlike most modern absinthe spoon designs, this one appears to have really been designed to function, holding the sugar cube safely in place till the very last, and allowing the final grains to drain into the drink instead of getting caught in ornamental nooks in the design. In fact I can't think of a more functional design, even from the époque.

1894758663_7759907dbb.jpg

I just bought one of these fine (if simplified) reproductions and I must second Bill's rave review. I tend to use one of those Absinthe spoons that looks like a traditional long spoon with a sugar cube cradle in the middle (I've seen it refered to as Spoon #1). My only complaint was that the end is too rounded to stir up the bits of sugar that sink into the very bottom of my glass. This spoon solves that problem entirely with its pointy end.

And yes, I feel very steampunk when I use it. :)