LeRoy

Let's talk Rum

Mount Gay XO is a great deal, still have some left from previous trip to Barbados. Haven't opened my Pyrat XO yet, but found my grail of rum in Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Anos. Sad to say, my 1 l. bottle is almost half empty already. One of my favorite drinks to sip with a cigar. Oh yes, Dark and Stormys. Been a while there. Have both Black Seal rums. The higher proof version makes a sneaky Dark and Stormy.

found my grail of rum in Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Anos.

Agreed. IMO, best rum on the market in the states right now.

I absolutely love my El Dorado 25 yo, but its overpriced for what it is and its not something I go to when I want rum, as it tastes more like a bourbon.

Dark and Stormy. That is pretty tasty. I could develop a liking for this rum-stuff.

When I tried my first dark and stormy a few nights ago, the weather outside went seriously bananas! Wind howling, bamboo canes thrashing the windows, rain beating down, weird!

I was thinking of having a Kamakazi tonight but I don't wanna chance my arm!

If you like ginger beer cocktails I can highly reccomend the Moscow Mule, it has become one of my staples.

Check out the Ministry of Rum Rum site(http://www.ministryofrum.com) Everything you might ever want to know.

Also the Polished Palete has some things about rum also (not sure of address offhand).

I am going tdown to yBor City (Cuban part of Tampa) as a Rum Judge and tasting 130 different rums and cachacas in a few weeks.Will let everyone know what the latest is if/when I figure out the way home afterwards. :tongue: (Actually we are very careful in our judging but is will be a daunting task to get through them all.

In the interim remember the Ministry of Rum motto "You can't lay on the beach all day and drink rum unless you start in the morning"

If you like ginger beer cocktails I can highly reccomend the Moscow Mule, it has become one of my staples.

Now I know what to do with that bottle of vodka sitting in the back of the bar. ;)

One last word, I don't want to go too far off the rum topic.

For me the addition of 10ml Cointreau makes it perfect.

50ml vodka

10ml lime juice

10ml cointreau

Top with ginger beer

garnish with 2 lime wedges

Build on ice in a rocks glass

Enjoy!

There is one other recipe I have tried and liked.

It is shaken though.

2 shots vodka

1 shot lime

1/2 shot sugar syrup

1 shot cointreau

2 or 3 dashes angustura

Shake, then pour into a highball glass over crushed ice, if I remember right

Top with ginger beer then garnish with mint sprigs.

Diplomatico Anejo is nice also,Venezaulan and about 1/2 the price of Pampero Aniversario.

Their top one the Reserva Exclusiva is also marveluos but about twice the money ($32 or so)

For dark rum, I prefer it neat or with a bit of ice. The Centenario, Havana Club, El Dorado, etc. The El Dorado especially, as it truly does taste like a bourbon.

For light rum, I like mojitos or caiparinhas. I've gone off of the deep end with creating mojito variations.

For lighter dark rums (Morgan, etc), I like it with ginger ale.

IMHO, light is for mixing in mojitos and fruity drinks, dark is for sipping, baking, or the occasional Dark and Stormy.

I'll be tearing into a bottle of Gosling's Old Rum at my wedding. Apparently somebody likes it a LOT!!!

The El Dorado rums are pretty tasty. First bottle I ever picked up was the 5 yr. recommended as we boarded ship in San Juan. Used for rum & cokes that trip. The 15 yr. I still have and drink at times with a cigar. Sipping good rum just goes so well with cigars.

That's why my bottle is sitting in the back of the bar, LeRoy. I have my own very similar vodka story.

Come on you two, that was a long time ago, you have to let go and move on. When I was 17 I had the worst hangover anyone has ever had since time began after bingeing on Pernot. After that my system would react to the smell of anise like a bear to pepper spray! But look at where I am today! You can do it too. Get a couple of Moscow Mules down your necks and see if you don't thank me for it.

Help a new kid out, please. What is your favorite drink/way to enjoy a nice bit of rum?

Dark or light?

For me it has to be the Daiquiri. If the balance of sweet and sour is just right it is divine!

My all time favourite is the Golden Glove Daiquiri

3 parts Cuban white rum

1 part fresh lime juice

1 and 1/2 parts sugar syrup

1/4 part cointreau

Shaken with ice and strained into a nicely chilled cocktail glass.

One of my top five cocktails!

I use Havana Club Anejo Especial rum

The sugar syrup must not be too concentrated.

My second favourite rum cocktail is the Mojito. It is perfect for summer drinking.

I've tried a good few recipes, but this one from the Joys of Mixology by Gary Regan really hits the spot

4 lime wedges

2 to 3 teaspoons of granulated sugar

8 to 10 fresh mint leaves

2 oz light rum

Club Soda

2 or 3 mint sprigs for garnish

Granulated sugar works better than simple syrup because it “abrades the zest of the limes and releases the essential oils into the drink”

This makes such a difference for me, it knocks the spots off the syrup version and takes it to another level. You can really taste that zingy zest, and that refreshing cool mint and crushed ice. Limey, minty, zesty and cool, and the taste of the rum percolating through. I can't wait for hot summer weekends to really appreciate it again!

"Muddle the lime wedges, sugar, and mint leaves in a mixing glass until the sugar is completely dissolved, all the juice is extracted from the limes, and the mint is thoroughly integrated into the juice. Add ice and the rum in the mixing glass. Shake briefly, and strain into a Collins glass filled with crushed ice. Top with club soda and add the garnish" Voila!

How does one become a "professional spirits judge"? Clearly you are over-worked and I'd like to do my part to help.

Dear Pan Buh and Shabba,

Thanks for your concern for my welfare and kind offers of help.

Becoming a professional spirits judge requires an good palate, a excellent (but not necessarily overly loquacious) command of adjectives and writing style for a start.

I think you both have it in abundance from what I have seen.

Like a lot of professions/vocations/avocations, etc., after that it is the willingness to put time in unpaid (and unreimbursed) time both doing the main pursuit and a lot of scut work to boot.

After a while you get noticed and invited when other people can't make it , then after the wallflower period as I call it , you start being called every so often as the first team.

It also functions somewhat like the guys on top of Lenins tomb on May Day, if you can outlast the others over time you may get to stand up front or at least closer as the others drop out -usually from liver failure :devil: .

How does one become a "professional spirits judge"?

You have to become a professional spirits medium and work your way up.

post-702-1207149625_thumb.jpg

I count Poe and Lovecraft, but who are the other three? I feel like I should know them, but I don't, and it's driving me a little bit nuts.

also, I've been trying to get my grubby little hands on some Havana Club Rum. I know that, as a US Citizen, I'm forbidden from possessing any, so I've been on the lookout for a suitable replacement brand that I CAN get in the USA. Anyone have an opinion as to what a good replacement brand could be?