Sign in to follow this  
ThaddeusLysander

Nonalcoholic pastis

I have heard mention of non-alcoholic varieties of pastis. Does anyone know anything about those?

I know it wouldn't be the same, of course, but the thought of being able to enjoy an anise drink anywhere at any time ... I am intrigued.

On a related note, does anyone know of a non-alcoholic absinthe being made or planning on being made? I have some Muslim friends who are interested in absinthe and would like to try it but, as I'm sure some of you know, the Qur'an forbids the consumption of alcohol.

I've never tasted any nonalcoholic alcoholic beverage worth a cow fart.

The idea of such an "absinthe", particularly in view of the liquor's traditional strength, strikes me as the height of a potable oxymoron, that's why not.

Besides, alcohol is the major component of the alchemical magic that helps transmute the raw flavor of the herbs into the subtle, and complex nectar that a fine absinthe can be. Without it, you might as well just macerate those herbs in water. :puke:

I have some Muslim friends who are interested in absinthe and would like to try it but...

Tell em to convert. That will PROVE they are really serious.

B)

"does anyone know of a non-alcoholic absinthe being made or planning on being made?"

:laf:

If you hear of such a person, lemm know... so that I might smite them.

There are some anise syrups out there for Italian sodas and other what-have-yous. I don't know how they are, I haven't tried any of them. The idea sounds pretty nasty to me, but a person could experiment with certain iced-and-spiced teas and anise syrup. Maybe. I wouldn't do it. However, I was under the impression "pastis" gently refers to "mixture".

I think you might be thinking of the word pastiche, which means a sort of hodgepodge.

I've never tasted any nonalcoholic beverage worth a cow fart.

I like Coke. And chai. I like pineapple juice, especially mixed with grape juice.

Unless I am incorrect, I believe the Koran only states that alcohol derived from certain sources are forbidden. I think this covers grape, potato and grain alcohol. I believe alcohol fermented from honey is allowed ( this depends on how they interpret religion). How about some Meadsinthe?

I've never tasted any nonalcoholic beverage worth a cow fart.

I like Coke. And chai. I like pineapple juice, especially mixed with grape juice.

You San Francicans are just so metro. :pirate:

On a related note, does anyone know of a non-alcoholic absinthe being made or planning on being made? I have some Muslim friends who are interested in absinthe and would like to try it but, as I'm sure some of you know, the Qur'an forbids the consumption of alcohol.

Tell them to go to Bahrain, that's where the other Muslims go to party it up.

One Saudi dude tried to buy my male friend for the evening.

Just tell them to do what Napoleon's Muslim soldiers used to do. Well, at least according to Tom Hill (while arguing why Hill's doesn't louche):

"you don't have to fool Allah that your drinking milk like Napolian's muslim soldiers thought! "

Let's not forget beets

While we are on the topic, does anyone know of a non sexual blowjob? I have a couple of Southern Baptist friends who really want to try it?

There also Blancart, sans alcool, sans sucre. http://www.aperosansalcool.com/INFOS.html

However, the whole idea of having non-alcoholic version of something that should be alcoholic is weird.

I have seen a lot Arabs drinking vodka here in Poland without any remorse or looking back at Mecca, so it may be prohibited, but people stay people.

While we are on the topic, does anyone know of a non sexual blowjob? I have a couple of Southern Baptist friends who really want to try it?

Tell them to become bishops. :devil:

Don't be so quick to puke on that. Absinthe made with a distilled/rectified mead base would probably taste pretty good.

That's all subjective. I got sick from eating too much honey when I was a kid and I've never liked it since; and I don't really care for mead (or maybe I just haven't had good mead). Of course if it were distilled then it wouldn't be mead or taste much like mead anymore - would depend on how rectified it was. Just as brandy doesn't taste much like wine. So, maybe it would be good -- I'd try it out of curiosity if it were done (maybe it has been). But, if one used a mead base to make absinthe, would it still be absinthe? (insert purist vs. progressive argument here). ;)

Originally, I was thinking of the combo of actual mead/honey flavors mixed with those found in absinthe. Eww (to me).

The one pyment I've had was pretty kinky.

And on the subject of honey and Absinthe- I've come to find that a local variety of purple sage honey goes excellent with VdF. I don't know why, and I certainly don't know how, but purple sage honey used instead of sugar seems to make the VdF taste more pollenish/floral. I've tried it with several other absinthes instead of sugar, and I like how it tastes, but it doesn't work as well.

Dan and I have recently shared the idea for an experiment involving a field of wormwood and/or other essential absinthe herbs with a beehive in the middle of it, and then using honey from that hive to sweeten absinthe made from those same herbs. It might be great, it might be nasty, but I think it's worth trying.

While I find the idea of a non-alcoholic absinthe to be ludicrous and somewhat amusing I think we ought to tread carefully. Non-alcoholic beer is probably possible because there's so little alcohol in beer it can be removed. I'm not sure what you'd have left in your absinthe after you took all the alcohol out. Particularly since, I believe the alcohol is what is keeping the anethol from precipitating out -- it would come pre-louched.

My love of root beer makes me ask whether your friends have tried a nicely-brewed one. Satisfaction with absinthe may be impossible but other non-alcoholic beverages prepared with the same care are not, different though they must be. I would be surprised if wormwood could be a factor in them but who knows? It's only crazy until someone figures it out.