Sign in to follow this  
Zzz

Water

So I was wondering, what type of water everyone uses in their absinthe? Other than tap water.

Tonight I bought that mineral water made by Pellegrino, and am having a glass of grape base Clandestine.

It tastes and feels more refreshing, but that could easily just be in my head.

So, what are your thoughts on water? Stick with French waters? etc etc etc

Also, I was thinking...... would absinthe be good with sparkling water??

Something tells me it would taste good, I'm going to try it in a few days.

We always use our well water. Mineral laden from over 900 feet under our little mountain. :cheers: The only time we use bottled water is when we are in town. They put weird shit in city water! :shock:

I live in a city. I use bottled, distilled, or spring water in my absinthe. Tap water is pretty good for washing dishes or making mac and cheese. ;)

The old well beside my house is covered with a big stone slab. The previous owner did it. Wish he hadn't. However, with my luck, some critter would fall in there and taint the supply.

I use filtered city water or bottled water. I could never use the tap water before being filtered.

Absinthe and chlorine wouldn't be a good mix! :twitchsmile:

Filtered tap water and bottled water. I don't know about Pellegrino, seems like it'd be good. Or perhaps another natural sparkling water with smaller effervescence would probably be better than Pellegrino. I drink Pellegrino all the time, the bubbles are a bit large and very gassy. Some others that I've had are more "fizzy" and less "bubbly", if that makes sense. The smaller bubbles would be more subtle.

The city water I use smells like a swimming pool before I run it through my trusty Brita filter. After the filtering it tastes as good as any water encased in plastic and available for $.

Now ice is a different story. My freezer is tiny and filled with fish right now so I get water frozen locally by a gas station with a reverse osmosis filtering process. :thumbup:

Marrow, I will come through your television and haunt you for taunting the Nymph.

:g: would it be absinthe or water pouring out of my television beforehand?

I use filtered tap water. I tried orange juice with duplais balance and I hated it. Sparkling water sounds interesting though, and if it's bad you've only wasted one glass.

Bottled water: "Arctic", "Żywiec", the best is well one, we get our delivered by cistern-is even healthier and richer in minerals than the aforementioned two.

I use tap water run through a Pūr filter. I have a theory that cold water always tastes better than warm water based on Brita water samples at the local Sam's Club, so I'm very skeptical about the whole bottled water thing. I haven't tried fancy waters though. That could be quite interesting.

I use spring water, usually Weis quality. It's dirt cheap and just as good as name brand stuff (i.e. Evian, Fiji).

I don't think mineral and/or sparkling water sounds particularly appealing. JMO

We always use our well water. Mineral laden from over 900 feet under our little mountain. :cheers: The only time we use bottled water is when we are in town. They put weird shit in city water! :shock:

You lucky lucky man.

The tap water here mixed with absinthe has a burnt rubber taste. I keep spring water in the fridge. Here in VA "Amelia Springs" is a good brand -- nice, sweet mountains spring water. Evian is also good and seems appropriate.

Sparking or carbonated water in my experience, is not good -- a sour taste when mixed with absinthe.

I'll just smack you with the bed pan.

To stay on topic: I just use iced tap water. I live near a chemical weapons incinerator and was raised near the Monsanto chemical plant. There's no sense in me trying to balance out the poisons brewing inside me.

Brita water. After living on a community well for 20 years, L.A.'s flouridated tastes like a swimming pool unless it is run through a filter. :no:

We always use our well water. Mineral laden from over 900 feet under our little mountain.

You lucky lucky man.

I promise, I don't take it for granted. The water made a pretty good ale back in my ale-brewing days. Now I just use it for absinthe and coffee. The next time you're in the neighborhood, we'll run a comparative study of waters and absinthe. And there's another great reason for a drink! :cheers:

Like we really needed another reason. :cheers: I heard some things about the quality of water in the water table back in my university days. Always sounded tasty, every prof I had said "Clean enough to drink right out of the ground.", then they went into explaining why. I'll spare every one the how and why....this time.

I used to use whatever bottled water I happened to have handy for louching purposes.

Now I just drink it.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. :thumbdown:

Chloramine sucks.

On the other hand Chlorine is easily filtered with a good activated charcoal filter.

Chloramine is not.

I am liking my tap water.

Otherwise I use Dassani because that is what my wife drinks.