hyperlunch

An Upper Midwestern Hello

Heya!

I discovered this forum while researching L'Artisanale. A Google search result yielded the thread where someone was trying to auction two bottles of it. I enjoyed all your responses, so I started reading through other topics in the forum. I was especially taken with the intelligent manner in which you all seem to carry yourselves here -- consistently witty and spirited, while managing to stay good-natured. Imagine that! A notably refreshing change from many other forums I'm sure we've all encountered. I signed up immediately. :)

So. Hi! I'm somewhat new to absinthe, but not brand new. I hail from Minneapolis, Minnesota. My favorite absinthe at the moment is the Jade PF 1901, 4:1, no sugar. I am a musician by trade, composing jingles and background music for commercials and film. I'm also a total science geek.

By way of additional introduction, I'll briefly summarize my path to absinthe appreciation:

All my life I'd understood that absinthe was this crazy old liquor made entirely out of fermented wormwood, which, being 100% poisonous, the FDA finally banned because it was killing too many people and causing permanent brain damage in those it didn't kill. I imagined wormwood as being a bright green wood, similar to the toxic green-dyed insecticide lumber that people build houses out of. Hence absinthe was bright green. And syrupy!

But then last year, while my mind was wandering, it wandered onto the topic of absinthe. I remember thinking, "Come on. Was absinthe really poison? I mean, were people really drinking poison? What a crazy era! Why would they do that?" So off I went to investigate the answer to what I thought would be a one-off Wikipedia query.

Boy, was I wrong!

I became immediately entranced by the history of the drink -- the misinformation, the duplicity, the subterfuge! Plus, when I learned that it was anise-based, I had to get some. I absolutely adore anise.

I know I dodged a major bullet by discovering the Ted Breaux articles and interviews before I ever obtained any absinthe. Being the science nerd that I am, Ted's approach to the whole absinthe issue really appealed to me. So, I lucked out! I have never encountered any Czechsinth or homemade kit-based swill-swallow. Nor have I ever lit any absinthe on fire! I consider myself very fortunate to be able to say that my first taste of absinthe was the Jade Verte Suisse 65.

An additional anecdote... After first seeing absinthe accessories online, something stirred in my brain a bit -- a peculiar familiarity -- a deep, dusty sense of recognition. I absolutely and definitely recall running across a curiously ornate knife-like utensil, with a lacy looking blade and strange little tabs jutting perpendicular to the blade edge, somewhere in my parents' house. I remember this from my youth, and thinking it was a bizarre design for what I assumed had to be some sort of old fashioned cheese knife... but what were those tabs perpendicular to the edge of the blade all about? Yes, it appears that somewhere in my family's assorted (but unsorted) heirloom silverware collectibles is quite possibly an authentic antique absinthe spoon!

My grandparents were born in 1898 and 1899... a bit young to fully enjoy the legal days themselves, but maybe the spoon belonged to one of their parents? At any rate, I have been going slightly mad trying to find that item, as you can imagine. I swear I've seen it. My fear is that it got tossed out or given to Goodwill or something.

Anyway, there's my long-winded intro! Hello and hello!

All my life I'd understood that absinthe was this crazy old liquor made entirely out of fermented wormwood, which, being 100% poisonous, the FDA finally banned because it was killing too many people and causing permanent brain damage in those it didn't kill. I imagined wormwood as being a bright green wood, similar to the toxic green-dyed insecticide lumber that people build houses out of. Hence absinthe was bright green. And syrupy!

Almost completely true. The Blanche Death is clear, until you add water. Then the White Fairy rises out of your glass and sucks your soul from your body. It is very, very cool. B)

Welcome to the WS Forum! :cheers:

Welcome! Great intro. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the future. You seem to be someone who will be able to write a good review or two as you continue to hone your palate. :cheers:

My favorite absinthe at the moment is the Jade PF 1901, 4:1, no sugar.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

The PF 1901 is my favorite also (3:1 w/sugar).

Welcome! :cheers: Nice intro.

I absolutely and definitely recall running across a curiously ornate knife-like utensil, with a lacy looking blade and strange little tabs jutting perpendicular to the blade edge, somewhere in my parents' house.

Oh, this old thing? I picked it up at St. Vincent de Paul's for 99 cents. :devil:

La_Feuille__3_32KB_720x168.jpg

Nice to meet you. :cheers:

Lots of newbies the past few days.

And too many damn musicians. ;)

Anyway, there's my long-winded intro! Hello and hello!

Welcome! You're "hyper", we get it. We'd expect nothing less than a long and well thought intro! :cheers:

Well come! :cheers:

Great intro indeed.

All my life I'd understood that the FDA was killing too many people and causing permanent brain damage in those it didn't kill.
:shock: Now that's just horrible.

Welcome! Great intro. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the future. You seem to be someone who will be able to write a good review or two as you continue to hone your palate. :cheers:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Do you have any advice for how one best hones one's palate? I know I've a long way to go. For example, I don't know enough about the subtle nuances of things like hyssop and melissa to catch them sneaking across the tongue individually. I assume skills like that are important in the review process.

I'd be interested as to what you thought of your first Jade.

I liked it a lot! How's that for a review? ;)

No, seriously, the VS was extraordinarily fragrant. Sort of like a meadow in August. Well, a Minnesota meadow in August. Which might not convey the right thing to those unfamiliar with Minnesota Augusts. Think heady, humid, sundrenched wind, thick with late summer wildflowers and toasted grass. Plus anise. :)