Forestlawn

A friend brought me some Hapsburg

He was visiting Rome and said it was all he could find. Judging by what I can dig up on the net and in other discussions here, it sounds like I should thank him kindly for having his heart in the right place, but file it up next to the Hills. Pretty bottle, anyway.

When I was in Rome, many of the places around the Embassy area and the streets leading to the Spanish steps had quite a variety. A variety of shite, but a variety nonetheless.

The best I could find was Lemercier Amer. The odd thing about drinking absinthe in Rome: They wouldn't let me drink it while I was sitting at the sidewalk cafe. They would only serve me if I was seated INSIDE the restaurant.

Which leads me to a question: where in the world can you just wander in off the street and browse the shelves of good stuff? Even in Paris, the liquor stores at best had the Pernod absinthe, but from what I took from the shopkeepers very fast and seemingly somewhat outraged French, that was just for tourists.

In Paris, you can go to a shop called Vert d'Absinthe (those french puns!), and buy all the fine absinthe you can think of pretty much. It's run by Heure Verte and it's a great place, located in the 4th. I'd say a must visit.

Which leads me to a question: where in the world can you just wander in off the street and browse the shelves of good stuff?
I am compiling a list of shops where you can select from a range of real absinthe here. It includes France, UK, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal and Spain, as well as a few bars in London. If anyone has any additions, please let me know here, or in a comment on the blog.

Excellent! That'll be a great guide to check before any international trips. The Vert d'Absinthe sounds great too. I'll take any excuse I can think of to go to Paris. Now if I could just figure out how to get a job there.