Brooks

Absinthe: The American Remix

I just hope this goes over well enough that, perhaps Ted will bring a N.O., or any other Jade for that matter (just since N.O. is based off an "American" Absinthe from the past) that is "T" free to the States. Save us some money on the Jades.

What? Bourbon has methanol in it?

Beware your orange juice!

Methanol is commonly encountered in the diet. The table below shows the amount of methanol you would get from a can of diet soft drink, along with amounts found in the same volume of several fruit juices. Methanol is well known to be poisonous in large quantity. "Large quantity" means tens or hundreds of grams. Your liver can deal with reasonable quantities of methanol, metabolizing it so that it can be excreted. If you start drinking enough methanol to get inebriated, you overwhelm your liver's metabolic machinery, and serious problems result.

Diet soft drink (12 oz can) 0.024 gram

Orange juice 0.018 gram

Apple juice 0.021 gram

Grape juice 0.046 gram

Tomato juice 0.085 gram

Damn. Table didn't transfer well at all. Pfft!

Yes it did. Magic! ~ H No it didn't; switched it back. ~ H

Edited by Hiram

I just hope this goes over well enough that, perhaps Ted will bring a N.O...Save us some money on the Jades.

Fat chance buddy. I thought someone said a page or two back something about a ~$60 price range for Lucid (maybe I got something confused, either way I emailed them from their site and asked point blank how much it's rumored to be priced)? If that's correct, I'll tell you what, a pretty darn good bottle of scotch goes for around $40, so this had better not be good, it'd better be fucking good™ for $60 a bottle.

And no offense to TAB, but honestly the Jades are some of the most expensive CO's out there and to me (save outrageously priced Czech crap which has no business being priced that high anyway) the price has never been properly justified when compared with certain absinthes of equal quality/taste but priced lower.

So, I'd doubt that will happen.

Um, no. No it didn't. - Refers to the table being transferred cleanly.

I just hope this goes over well enough that, perhaps Ted will bring a N.O., or any other Jade for that matter (just since N.O. is based off an "American" Absinthe from the past) that is "T" free to the States. Save us some money on the Jades.

I would much prefer that he didn't. I hope he is making practical research incursions into the authorities' domains to effect change there, not so that he can double his own product line and create American clones of clones. Of course, he may conclude that the authorities are and will remain intractable and that if anything is to change permanently it will have to be the manufacturers. I hope not, and suspect Ted would prefer to see the changes take place at the other end. Only he can say what he thinks and what his motivations and observations are. The gov't may need to be convinced that absinthe with thujone not only does not pose health risks, but can provide revenues in the form of commerce and taxes. Revenue can be an influential talker. They may very well be allowing this one through as a trial balloon.

Exactly my thoughts.

If I interpreted Ted's comments to me correctly, Viridian is interested in trying to bring in the other better quality absinthes eventually, as is.

Um, no. No it didn't. - Refers to the table being transferred cleanly.
?? It looked fine earlier. Dang.

If I interpreted Ted's comments to me correctly, Viridian is interested in trying to bring in the other better quality absinthes eventually, as is.

And I find nothing wrong with that.

From that point, in theory, what would prevent American distilleries from making absinthe? They wouldn't have to ship the product to the EU to be shipped back here for sale, would they?

Makes sense, DP. I am anxiously waiting for the absinthe industry's next move. Will the trickle continue or will the flood gates open?

Looks fine now. Thanks.

But how did I get associated with methanol in bourbon, anyway?

That was odd, PB, especially since I was quoting Printmkr. I tried to copy and paste a table from an article on Aspartame. The information was good but the table didn't make the journey. Thanks for trying to fix it H.

I suppose the Lucid workaround idea could take off, the basic concept is a bit like selling O'Douls in a no-alc stripper juice bar.. B)

Re-reading this discussion has put a new thought in my head,

the VdF process makes a lot of sense in this context (i.e. a thujone free absinthe)

You can distill each herb in a way to collect the best properties of each

and discard the crap.

Hmm. . .

This is exactly what I was thinking. You wouldn't even need to cook each herb separately, just the wormwood. Aside from using thujone-free A.A., I don't readily see another means of accomplishing what Lucid claims with desireable results. This is wild speculation from someone with limited knowledge on the subject, but it makes sense to me. Doctors?

I can't wait to see Ina get Jeffery drunk on absinthe. :thumbup:
I've seen him grill. Perhaps there's room for flames with absinthe afterall. :devil:

They (American distilleries) wouldn't have to ship the product to the EU to be shipped back here for sale, would they?
But they may be shipping it "one-way" for sale. B)

As far as the product itself, If Ted is confident, knowing the crowd, then it stands to reason it will be good. As others have stated, the proof will be in the puddin'. If it tastes and smells good, well then there you have it. If the price is around $60, then it's a deal. If it manages to stick around for a while and brings a market, perhaps changes will come. Things look positive from my outlook. However, I haven't tasted it yet.

I think it's possible to do it without Tbones free A.A. and if that's the case we might not hear about the details for awhile thanks to industry secrets.

If this is successful I think it will be interesting to see the response leveled by companies that make most of their money on the thujone myth (and the US market in the case of >35 mg/kg absinth).

Lucid responded to my e-mail here's the message

Thanks for the inquiry. We expect shipments near the end of May which will first go to restaurants and bars and then to retail stores, which is why they haven't heard about it yet (assuming they don't read the New York Times!). But we intend to target some of the major retailers from the outset, so check back on drinklucid.com for details.

Email Response Team

www.drinklucid.com

If this is successful I think it will be interesting to see the response leveled by companies that make most of their money on the thujone myth (and the US market in the case of >35 mg/kg absinth).

Predictable.

"Absinth from anywhere else but us is fake! This is the real deal with in upwards of 500mg/kg! Don't be fooled!"

Swill will still be slung with cheap production prices and unknowing buyers falling into the trap. I know I did the first time around. At least it wasn't KOSG.

Wow, what fascinating developments. i am very anxious to see where this leads. I trust Ted to put something good in a bottle. He hasn't failed me yet. What is on the bottle, however, definitely not my style. I love the Jade, MdC, and Pacifique bottles best.

I think that their packaging and presentation leaves much to be desired IMHO.

I like the black bottle & green eyes.

It will look so pretty sitting on a counter next to my other black cats...

;P

I must admit, the wbsite is interesting.

At least they say that it NEVER should be set on fire!!!

:no-czechs3:

Jeez, take a day off and look what happens!

I really do feel much better about all this now. By the way, all that stuff you folks thought I was trying to say, yup, that must be what I was trying to say. In a pessimistically inelegant sort of way.

Hiram, TAB didn't happen to mention maybe dishing some of this stuff out at Tales of the Cocktail, did he?

No kidding, TR

I haven't had time to post for a couple of days. I gotta say, I hope this turns out to be something positive. the bottle is not that great, but I suppose it's all about the marketing. It would be nice to get a sample size bottle out there. $60, is a little much. :laf: What am I saying? How many times have I ordered a bottle(for that price or more) strictly on a review I read.

I mean, sure it would be great if the FDA would just grow up and go to EU standards, but if the lack of "T" in this new absinthe doesn't mess with the taste, then I see no reason why Ted shouldn't make a N.O. here in the States. Once again if the States does not let "T" in.

I know everyone has questions, and I have a minute or two to interject a bit of info for you all. Forgive me if some things are a bit vague, but that has nothing to do with any of you who post in this forum, rest assured of that.

Lucid isn't made via assemblage, but is crafted in the most traditional manner. It is a real, legitimate, distilled absinthe in every sense. I believe this is posted on the website.

For those who are expecting 'absinthe lite', I believe they will find themselves surprised.

Regarding the projected retail price, production costs aside, the taxes, U.S. distributor and retailer margin structures, and the various fees and additional hidden costs make for a very 'top heavy' picture.

Where distribution is concerned, consider that any new product must compete with at least 400 high-end vodkas for shelf space (much less everything else), and BTW, this is just for the state of NY alone. Think about this for a minute. Considering the magnitude of the investment required to get something like this to the present point, not getting distribution is potentially devastating. The good news is, given that the first real absinthe to be approved in the U.S. in the past 95 years is a quality product, anything lesser that follows would far more likely be perceived as exactly that - by distributors and consumers alike (should it even get that far).

There will be further developments to follow, but in time. Everything has taken much, so much time.

I should have samples at Tales of the Cocktail, although if everything goes well, it will be available well before that time - possibly even in New Orleans.

Cheers!

:cheers:

We're excited about this, Ted. Thanks for the updates.

Idle question -- one for which you may not have an answer:

Any idea why Lucid is debuting in NYC instead of, say, Seattle? (I'd be curious to know where the bulk of LdF's US customers reside.) In the three or so years I've posted to these forums, I have yet to encounter more than two or three New Yorkers. It's weird.

Anyway, thanks again. See you in NOLA.

Because they know you are there Brooks, they know you ARE there ...

Actually, Viridian is based in NYC, so it was a logical decision.

Good bye for now.

I AM here, Ted, and doing my best to enter into the spirit of the thing.

Tomorrow morning I go leotard shopping. Then, in the afternoon, I'm getting fitted for little black cat ears and a tail.

Pics to follow.

Hiram, what are you saying? What???

Your fitting is right after mine. I gave them your number....hasn't anyone contacted you?

You might want to arrive a few minutes early, so you can watch me go through my cat moves. Still working on the purring, but I've got the hissing and the face-cleaning down pat.

Bill, I'm not at all certain our friendship will survive that last crack. Seriously. I'll have to think about it.