Bluescat

What are you cooking tonight?

:sigh: ... I'm not cooking anything. I'm in the Army and trusted with hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment and explosives making judgment calls that not only save my life, but the lives of my buddies that I'm entrusted to lead into battle and I am a direct reflection of our country ... but they don't trust us with stoves in our barracks rooms. And we aren't allowed hot plates either. We only have microwaves.

But ... I have an amazingly beautiful girlfriend back in LA who is a chef ... and she made this today:

straw.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake.

Too bad I'm not there to enjoy it. If any of you have eaten at Sona in West Hollywood, she made your dessert :)

But ... I have an amazingly beautiful girlfriend back in LA who is a chef ... and she made this today:

Such a comment begs for at least one pic, dontcha think? :devil: ;)

Of her desserts? Sure ..

Unnamed.jpg

No idea what that is.

photo.jpg

Or this. Other than it has tobacco flavored ice cream that she made. Ya, she's crazy.

OOOHH .. you mean a picture of HER. Ok ..

70.jpg

:)

Simple but bad-assed salmon marinade recipe I threw together during an early afternoon off:

Sweet and Savory Salmon (or Salmon3)

½ cup Ken’s Honey Dijon salad dressing

1 - 2 splashes sake

1 splash lemon juice

1½ teaspoons dried parsley

2 teaspoons dried tarragon

2 tablespoons dried thyme

Toss all ingredients in a plastic bag. Add salmon. Shake gently and let sit in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.

Start fire on grill. Remove fish from bag and place on sheet of aluminum foil, skin side down. Pour remaining marinade on top of fish (this will further infuse the flavors into the fish when cooking). Top with ample brown sugar. Wrap everything up in the foil and place on grill. Grill for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping foil packet 3 to 4 times to cook through. Check for doneness periodically.

Remove foil from grill. Let rest 8 to 10 minutes. Remove fish from foil and serve. Add fresh parsley for garnish. Chow down.

Last night I did some sirloin cuts with mushrooms and a red wine and rosemary sauce over a bed of roasted baby yukon potatoes. Served with baby spinach, sauteed with a little garlic and a splash of Pernod. Coppola Claret to wash it down.

24891_10150153864050247_505500246_11971647_3511908_n.jpg

This morning I poached some eggs and threw them on top of two pieces of fresh french bread which were toasted and topped with cream cheese and thick slice bacon. Tall glass of orange juice.

Go very easy on the Nu-Pernod. It's shit, and can very easily ruin the spinach. Maybe try another of your favs, if you are okay with using them for cooking. I would have liked something with a bit more sweetness. Also, I think I might have liked to throw in a few almond slivers or something too.

Go very easy on the Nu-Pernod.

I accidentally spilled some into a ceramic vessel that had water in it and a hole for the water to pass through. It's had a sparkle ever since. ;)

Breast of chicken with thyme, stuffed with goat cheese and spinach, and covered with mushrooms in a light cream sauce.

24891_10150153866990247_505500246_11971778_654533_n.jpg

Yeah, it's been fabulous being back in my kitchen and being able to cook for myself. For lunch in a couple hours, I'm doing some angus burgers with swiss and HUGE portobello mushrooms. Toss in some sprouts and leaf lettuce, served between slices of fresh bread and I'm drooling already.

24891_10150153876275247_505500246_11972029_3716786_n.jpg

Rosemary and thyme chicken thigh fillets with sauteed bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, green) in a balsamic glaze all over a bed of tarragon basmati rice.

24891_10150153876280247_505500246_11972030_7291858_n.jpg

Now, to wash: 2 pans, 1 pot, 2 bowls, 3 spoons, 3 knives, 1 fork, 1 cutting board, 1 pair of tongs, 1 stovetop, 1 sink counter. :thumbdown:

Bacon wrapped pork loin roast stuffed with a ginger and peach bread stuffing, served with a salad of leaf lettuce, baby spinach, peaches and walnuts tossed with a creamy dill and caper dressing.

Italian sausages cooked in sherry and Pernod, served over sauteed peppers and onions with roasted new potatoes.

24891_10150153880040247_505500246_11972113_7538435_n.jpg

On the contrary! It was delicious! (Served with sliced and pan-fried courgette - fried with mild olive oil and black pepper. Simple and so good.)

Shit! If I would have thought about it, I would have made a big ass pot and brought it by your place so we could all enjoy it! Tomorrow maybe?