tayker

Chocolate

Sure it is, technically. The butter comes from the cacao bean, so what else would it be? Just because it's not the dark solid bits that are used in, and constitute the percentages in brown-colored chocolate that fat binder that's seperated out still comes from the same bean. What else would you call it?

Don't worry, my mom could never explain it to me. Growing up, white chocolate was just called vanilla in my house. ;)

Thanks Die Gruene Fee! Now can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference between the US and UK Cadbury bars? I know Hershey's makes the bars in the US under license for Cadbury, presumably using a similair recipe. I see the price per bar is $3.25 on the website Die Gruene Fee linked, I can get the US version for $1.00 (sale price). Just wondering, I do like Cadbury chocolate.

I'm lucky in that my local Safeway store carries the Le Petit Ecolier biscuits. It may be worth checking that supermarket chain before ordering them.

Lindt 70% is very tasty, so good choice, OMG_Bill :cheers:

My fav remains 85%, not so strong as 99% but not so mild as 70%, just the right one to fit the gap in stomach with softly bitter cocoa sensation of unspeakable taste's pleasures evoked.

Sure it is, technically.

Actually no. Technically speaking, it can only be called chocolate if it contains 'chocolate liquor' and cocoa solids.

I guess it's similar to white gold, in theory. :laugh:

I moved over to the Hershey's All Natural extra dark 60%. I like this one also but the Lindt seems to be more honest. Both are decent but I like the higher % to snack with absinthe. I like my absinthe less diluted than some and rarely use sugar. Could it be a flaw? :twitchsmile: Be nice!

I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!! The giant near me carries them now. They have 4 varieties. My favorite is the dark chocolate 45%.

I'm also a big fan of the Le Petit Ecolier dark chocolate biscuits, but there's no giant near me who carries them. In fact, you seem to have a near- monopoly on giants near you. ;)

Have none of you tried the milk chocolate from Marabou? Best there is. Belgian and Swiss milk chocolates come far behind - but their dark variants are better.

Dark chocolate as strong as 99 % may not be for everybody, but it surely grows on you. Of late, I've noticed that I begin to lean more and more to the dark side... :pirate:

And it definitely goes well with some absinthes.

Lindor :thumbup: , at first looks so uncomplicated but ocne you have it... :)

I thought chocolate being a cause of 'ocne' was just a myth. ;)

Chocolate can be the cause of anything, even waer or nad :) But shall stay one of those pleasures only pro's can embrace

That's a pretty hefty one - I bought a 50gr bar maybe a month ago and still have some squares left over. It's a quite extreme experience of taste...

post-171-1175544805.jpg

Well, I bought one of the Lindt 99% today,and a 85%. I only tried the 99, so far. I will repeat what Markus said ! It is good ,but a little goes a long way.

Lindt makes a 99%?? Wow, I can't concieve of chocolate that strong, and I like dark chocolate. I like their slightly weaker varieties though, as well as a Nestle 65% I recently was given. Goes very well with Ike, even with Eddie. :thumbup:

Cost Plus World Marketplace has it . Not sure where in the freezer you are ,but we have the store in MN

I had Lindt's white and swiss yesterday and their orange creme today. mmm mmm

I have their "Intense Orange" Dark chocolate bard in front of me at this very moment. :thumbup:

The local market is now carrying Hershey's Cacao Reserve and Lindt's Excellence bars. Surprisingly the top shelf Hershey's compares very favorably to the French made Lindt's, in taste as well as, unfortunately, price. I especially like the Hershey's Cacao Reserve 65% dark and the single origin Arriba 50%. My favorite Lindt Excellence bar is the 85%, but I have a soft spot for their Swiss Milk w/ Hazelnuts too. The Hershey's is creamier and the Lindt's has a more complex depth of flavor in my tastebudless opinion. Both have found a spot in my cart during the last few shopping trips. Good stuff if you can find it. :thumbup:

On white chocolate/cocoa butter- It is not choclate at all. Chocolate is a combination of both that, and chocolate liquor, and cocoa solids. Cocoa butter (also called white chocolate) actually tastes very little like chocolate, has a different (but close) melting point, and is used differently on it's own. It actually makes a good fat choice because of several of it's properties.

And no, it isn't vanilla either, ;) .

As to my own personal brand fav? Lindt- no question. SMOOTH, with a great flavor and texture, and an instant melt-in-my-mouth goodness. REAL Cadbury, which is tough for us Yanks to get, is quite good as well, yet tastes completely different from Lindt's.

Try the Endangered Species brand, 88% "Extreme Dark Chocolate". Most stores have it nowadays; usually in the natural foods section. $3.13/bar on the web, $2.19/bar at Fred Meyer.

And yes, their website really is http://www.chocolatebar.com/

Plus, it's the only chocolate bar I've had with 5g each of fiber and protein per (42g, half a bar) serving, and only 8g of sugar.

Oh, and don't crunch it down. Just let it melt in your mouth . . . slloooowwlyyyy!