greytail

Shades of green

Sonny's vice is already out....just needs dusting!! Would love him inspired to use it and cast a few again! 1901 is for the girlies, right?

You people out west just make me sick. :P

Especially since I'm right here, right now!

You people out west just make me sick. :P

Especially since I'm right here, right now!

Too bad your so far north....

Yeah, we're pretty disgusting that way. ;)

Speak for your self, I'm disgusting in a whole other way.. :devil:

Oh hell yes! But know up front, Bluescat, Maggie always has her flyrod anytime we hit a stream. She'll expect you to be shoulder-to-shoulder with us! ;)

If I were the perverse sort I'd alter that quote and make a snide remark about how kinky you all must be. But, of course, not being that sort such thoughts never entered my head. ;)

Okay, I don't mean to be disrespectfuly or anything, but I bought a bottle of Jade Eduoard about a year ago and frankly, it did NOT age well. When I initially bought it, it was pretty good, had a nice green color. Drank about 1/3 of the bottle, sealed it up and put it away in a cool dark place and didn't touch it again until just last week. The problem? It's got this funky aroma to it, almost like vinegar or something. I'm thinking it must be releated to the wine alcohol, but not sure. I had often heard people mention of a "funk" in Jade products but I never really noticed this until now. It wasn't this funky when I first bought it, but it definitely is now.

On a side note, I recently purchased the 1901 and it is very nice. I just hope it holds up to age better than the bottle of Jade Eduoard.

That's unfortunate. I've heard nothing but great things about E72 and aging.

same here. I had a bottle I re-sealed for awhile and it seemed to taste even better when I got around to finishing it. Perhaps something went amiss when you sealed it up again?

Oh hell yes! But know up front, Bluescat, Maggie always has her flyrod anytime we hit a stream. She'll expect you to be shoulder-to-shoulder with us! ;)

If I were the perverse sort I'd alter that quote and make a snide remark about how kinky you all must be. But, of course, not being that sort such thoughts never entered my head. ;)

You are a hopeless gentleman, PB. ;)

Not so much kinky as a little twisted, perhaps.

Okay, I don't mean to be disrespectfuly or anything, but I bought a bottle of Jade Eduoard about a year ago and frankly, it did NOT age well. When I initially bought it, it was pretty good, had a nice green color. Drank about 1/3 of the bottle, sealed it up and put it away in a cool dark place and didn't touch it again until just last week. The problem? It's got this funky aroma to it, almost like vinegar or something. I'm thinking it must be releated to the wine alcohol, but not sure. I had often heard people mention of a "funk" in Jade products but I never really noticed this until now. It wasn't this funky when I first bought it, but it definitely is now.

On a side note, I recently purchased the 1901 and it is very nice. I just hope it holds up to age better than the bottle of Jade Eduoard.

[/quote

Did you allow the bottle to breathe a bit? Perhaps some of those smells you atribute to funk or a vinegar smell will disipate after you allow it to sort of "breathe"? Worth a try. After all, there would have been all that traped air in the bottle whne you re-sealed it. Does it taste like vinegar or just smell a bit? If the taste is not affected in the negative you should be good to go.

It's worth a shot. I'm thinking I need to break out my NO & Eddy to see what has transpired.

Not to be a snit but the Little Bighorn is on the east side of the state. I think they shot A River Runs Through It on the Clark Fork. Or maybe that was the Blackfoot. What say you, MTG? The whole Little Bighorn is one of the saddest areas I've seen in Montana. Even driving through on the interstate, it feels haunted by its past but maybe that's just my imagination. Running away with me.

All this talk of fishing and aging. I'm accomplishing one of those anyway. ;)

I fully expect to be doing both for a long time. Maggie is already looking for a walker with a flyrod holder for me. She is so sweet.

I think I may have established the distinction of wormwood in an absinthe now. I may be still wrong, ut I had a HG absinthe awhile back. The initials of the HG are DF, so those who have had it will know what I am talking about. I smelled my hands after crushing some stalks of AA and noticed a strong resemblence between that smell and the taste of the DF. Well, like I said, I could be wrong, but I think DF had a good presense of wormwood in it.

I fully expect to be doing both for a long time. Maggie is already looking for a walker with a flyrod holder for me. She is so sweet.

Hopefully a cupholder too.

We, too, expect to be doing both for a long time.

It's worth a shot. I'm thinking I need to break out my NO & Eddy to see what has transpired.

Not to be a snit but the Little Bighorn is on the east side of the state. I think they shot A River Runs Through It on the Clark Fork. Or maybe that was the Blackfoot. What say you, MTG? The whole Little Bighorn is one of the saddest areas I've seen in Montana. Even driving through on the interstate, it feels haunted by its past but maybe that's just my imagination. Running away with me.

T73 The McLean novel was set on the Blackfoot river just out of Missoula, but Redford filmed the majority of the movie on this side of the divide on the Gallatin river south of Bozeman the remainder was filmed on Boulder river near Big Timber. I have to agree with you on the Bighorn region though, a sad place.

I did pick up some funk notes in my reopened Eddie last night that did seem stronger than when I put it up 3 months ago.

The Jades don't seem to age too well, in general, although, for me, that's rarely been an issue, since the bottles are usually dead soldiers in a matter of weeks.

Could it be from Jade Eddie's strong alcohol content of 72 degrees? That bottle I spoke of opening after resealing did smell more of alcohol at first than it did anything else, but it seemed to disipate and I picked up the origional smell in no time. Though I am with absomphe on this one, I can't quite keep a bottle of absinthe around for too long a period.

Only two places on the Olympic Pen. carried it. Now they don't.

Neither of the two biggest beer stores in Seattle have had it this season. And between them, they have pretty much everything.

BTW, is LaConner brewery still in operation? I haven't seen any of their beers around here for months. They made my number 1 favorite IPA.

Neither of the two biggest beer stores in Seattle have had it this season. And between them, they have pretty much everything.

Dave at the Bottle Shoppe, here in East Bumfuck, will be pleased as punch to hear that, especially if the Matts at Bottleworks weren't allocated any.

since the bottles are usually dead soldiers in a matter of weeks.

Or days :cheers:

Maybe for you, my Polish friend, but my rabidly Absomphesizing days are pretty much history. :cheers:

I usually try and stretch the bottle as far as I can seeing as how pricey it is. The longest I have stretched a Jade was about 4 months. I usually can't wait for the bottle to come and indulge a few drinks then it goes into the vault for safe keeping. I have actually gone to taking a shot glass and drinking that louched every once in awhile.

A good bottle deserves being savored. Absinthe, wine, beer, scotch, etc... anything good.

But not tequila!

Just teasing.

anyone else feel that it is not worthwhile to age a Jade product? I don't want to waste time and ruin something good by allowing it to sour.

Has anyone else ever tried aging an absinthe in a clear glass bottle just to see how quickly the coloration faded from green to a brownish color? I noticed in a thread specifically about aging in oak barrerls that absinthist had two pics of one fresh absinthe and another 1 year aged which was amber in color.

I have a bottle of eddy from November of 2005 that I save for very special occasions. I had a glass last weekend, and all seemed well, from the color to the smell. Hey, that rhymes. Somebody stop me!

BTW, I think the reason that I was underwhelmed with the PF 1901 was its very smoothness, as some have commented on. Now that I think of it, spicy seems to be what I like, from the eddy to the ike, heck even NO. Though I could do without the "nuttiness" of the latter. Anyway, just my two pfennig. :cheers: