Brooks

In today's New York Times

Trying To Clear Absinthe's Name

However, it's the first time I can recall reading anything about absinthe in the Times.

OOPS! Sorry......I see the article already made it into another thread. Hiram, you may as well delete this. Thanks!

Edited by Brooks

Ah! But it's so good to see Brooks starting threads again, I vote we leave it. I'm sure we'll eventually go off topic to discuss grits, truffles or home made fireworks anyway! ;)

Edited by T73

However, it's the first time I can recall reading anything about absinthe in the Times.

I guess it's obvious that the NYT should be a prime media target for all of us involved in trying to promote a more favorable climate towards absinthe.

In fact there was a good article on Swiss absinthe in 2004. Only available to paying subscribers.

In total, there have only been 4 articles in the NYT with absinthe in the headline since 1981.

Edited by Alan

Speakin' of food, I made some scrambled eggs with foie gras this weekend and it was pretty damn good!

Good to know that we are all keeping up with da times! :cheers:

You gotta keep up with the 'Joneses, T73. C'mon, now.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttt!!!! Wrong answer! But thanks for playing!
Shoot a fast note of correction to the Times, Hiram. They'll print it, and it'll keep the topic alive for an extra day. (And give the WS another fifteen minutes of fame.)

Nice article, Alan. Thanks for the link.

Now to the last bite of my Zone Bar. How sad that sounds after hearing about MPC's Louis XIV Blue Plate Special.

I thought I just haven't hit the right level of 'jones, yet.

Now you're talking!

Nobody's ever gonna convince me that their turkey soda isn't hallucinogenic! :absomphe:

Ah, to hell with eggs and liver. I'm heading over to Napoleon House for a final bowl of gumbo before hopping on the plane.

post-143-1167842338.jpg

One of Phil's fountains now decorates the room where Hiram and I had lunch last summer. (I love this bar.)

Edited by Brooks

...a chemical called thujone, which gives it — and absinthe — a penetrating evergreen aroma.

Bzzzzzzzzzzztt!!! Well, that just about eliminates this player from our game, what do we have as a consolation prize for him, Johnny?

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey

Napoleon House! Great choice before heading back, Brooks!

"It interacts with several neurotransmitter systems in the brain, including one that is also activated by the cannabinoids in marijuana" :no:

"Some Czech brands...tasted sweet instead of bitter and were so dilute that they didn’t grow cloudy when mixed with water." :huh:

I find it interesting that many articles show signs of research but get some strange things wrong.

"Some Czech brands ... were flavored with mint instead of wormwood" :huh:

Thought that does sound like a step in the right direction.

Half the article is about bubbles in champagne. He mentions that there is a new study (the one known here by Dirk Lachenmeier) but never mentions it's title or where it was published.

I guess since I'm not very experienced with different absinthes, I have to say that the one's I've tried (Jades, ClB, Duplais) I wouldn't consider any of them bitter. I've had beers that have more bitterness (in a pleasant way) than any absinthe I've had. So that's why I'm always so surprised when I read these articles saying that absinthe is bitter. I just don't find it so.

But I could have defective taste buds. And so the point would be moot.