gfpoet

Death in the Afternoon

Has anyone tried this mixed drink?? I have two bottles of uopened PF1901. I want to open one and get plastered on New Year's Eve. Needless to say it's been a bad year. I am going to drink it the tradtional way, but also wanted to try something different. Let me know.

I thought Death in the Afternoon was vile and undrinkable. Maggie the Cat thought it was vile but managed to put it down...then the drink put her down.

If you want to put a bad year to bed with a good drunk, it should do the trick but it seems like a shame to do that to a bottle of PF1901. :cheers:

Thanks T73! Good info. I'll probably drink the PF the traditional way. I still may try the drink out of curiousity. I need to be put down and since I do not have a good woman to do it right now, I'm going to use the Absinthe.

Take it Easy!!

Don't waste good champagne on that. I'd recommend Spanish Cava (sparkling wine made in the champagne method for a very nice price) for mixing. Try the Segura Viudas NV Brut Reserva. For $10 it can't be beat! :cheers:

it seems like a shame to do that to a bottle of PF1901. :cheers:

It seems like a shame to do that to a bottle of Krug champagne. :cheers:

You're both as right as rain, whatever the hell that means! :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

If you really want to fall in the juniper bushes and lose your favorite sunglasses then I recommend a goblet of good absinthe followed by a goblet of good sparkling wine. Repeat as necessary.

That ought to do it. :dev-cheers:

Edited by Maggie the Cat

Champagne and absinthe messes me up. Wine and absinthe messes me up. I am so hung over the next if I mix the two. I have never mixed the 2 in the same glass, though.

Still, I would try a glass.

Then again, I am wild enough to shoot at.

I tried it once. I found it quite tasty, but nothing I would waste top notch champagne or absinthe on. And it made me VERY drunk VERY fast.

On sunday, I'll spend New Year's Eve with some friends. I asked if I should bring anything. Champagne and absinthe, they answered. Don't know if we're going to mix it. It could end up being quite a mess.

I use cheap champagne and mid grade absinthe.

I like it.

And, it does fuck one up pretty quickly. Why, I don't know. But it does.

Edited by Le Gimp

Well,

About 11:50pm Eastern time I broke open a bottle of PF1901.

I made Death in the Afternoon.

Simply Horrible!!!! :shock:

I dumped it and ended up having 3 glasses the traditional way to open in 2007.

There must be a trick. A specific absinthe that goes with a specific Champagne.

I really enjoyed my concoction of it. :drunk:

Well,

About 11:50pm Eastern time I broke open a bottle of PF1901.

I made Death in the Afternoon.

Simply Horrible!!!! :shock:

I dumped it and ended up having 3 glasses the traditional way to open in 2007.

There must be a trick. A specific absinthe that goes with a specific Champagne.

And you had the answer only three posts above yours! You deserve what you got.

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph...ost&p=66403

I have used mid strength 60 abv absinthe verte for it and Toro Negro blanco (cheap Spanish sparkling wine) it was quite nice, absinthe made TN be more mellow and less sweet, however the traditional way is the best

Happy New Year to everyone :cheers:

Interesting read, Alan. Thanks for staying on top of the latest news out there!

Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in, yet. I can't tell what this article is supposed to be: an absinthe report or a drink review? It's not a bad article but it seems to lack direction and purpose. I'll have another cup and re-read it. :g:

It does makes some interesting statements.

Like thujone is one of the aromatic components that causes absinthe to louche ("...take on a milky white opalescence"). I never knew that before. And that thujone is the aromatic component that gives absinthe its "penetrating evergreen aroma". I never knew that absinthe was supposed to taste bitter.

The author does admit that - at least for the DITA experiment - he used an "absinthe substitute" that he could buy in a liquor store.

Note that I have written to the author of this article and mentioned that we would probably be discussing it here. So I guess he may check out what we say ...

I haven't seen any discussion as to whether Dita von Teese took her name from this drink's acronym ... any views?

Besides her obvious assets, it could help further explain MM's fascination with her, I suppose.

Was an interesting article. My only criticism was that it ended rather abruptly. With a title like that, I would have expected a bit more information on absinthe, but it seems as though it is only one in a string of articles about champagne.

THanks, Alan. The article quite interesting but mainly concerning champagne, not absinthe and nothing new was said, however it is good that people from the other dimension of consciousness learn about OUR cocktails :cheers:

I enjoy the fact that the article is current and in a popular paper. Perhaps this will open more skeptical minds, if even just one. More exposure to the positive could help lift the ban one day. Ya never know who might be reading. Imagine not having to pay so much for shipping and not losing sleep or developing ulcers over whether or not customs will intercept your darling package?

Oh, utopia, utopia.

You're quite right, MPC. It is a positive article and took a sincere shot at addressing a couple of myths. Hopefully, this will lead to greater interest by both the readers and the author. :cheers:

DP, I just noticed: You. Are. A. Rat. :harhar:

Yes indeed I am. Filthy vermin, spreading disease and plague and all that. I believe that's me in my last convulsions just before death. Cause: too much absinthe. Not that I advocate animal testing, mind you. :D

It may be that the actual article in the printed paper was longer. They do seem to trim them for the web, so perhaps the original is longer and wouldn't seem so jumpy. I like the concept, using DITA as a lead-in to discussing absinthe and doing some myth-busting.

I'll see if I can track down a printed NY Times. I at least need the address where to send "Letters to the Editor". $1.39 is certainly worth it for The Cause.