JohnC

1914 Pernod Fils Cache

Even the Dyson? :P

Now I know I have a problem with absinthe. Since I'm no longer employed, I'm tempted to cash out my 401k just to get a bottle (or more). Must stay strong.

It's a good thing Ted's new offering came out. I'll be happy with that, and hopefully a moment of weakness won't send my retirement savings down the chute.

Don't do it! Don't touch that retirement!

Better to drink expensive old booze while young than to die a rich old bastard.

Do it. Cash it. Buy the bottle. Don't worry. It'll be ok in the end.

There's always the streets. Atleast you have a good story to tell your homeless friends by then.

Edited by hartsmar

No matter how you slice it, advice on purchasing good absinthe is going to conflict with advice on financial planning.

Not necessarily. I always want to make sure that my clients are keeping a good balance between enjoying life now and saving for the future.

Knowing exactly how much we need to save for each goal allows us the freedom of knowing that if there's any money left over above those needs can either be funnelled back into enjoying the present, or put towards being able to retire earlier, or send kids to a better school, etc.

I never want to have my clients buckle down so much that it ends up hurting our relationship because they are 'goal poor', and can't enjoy themselves now.

Vintage absinthe is a good investment -- unless you drink it.

Even then, if you drink it with the right company, it can lead to a profitable relationship. A nice marketing idea. :cheers:

I've used the 1870's rum in the same fashion and have brought some great clients into my practice by sharing with them such a rare pleasure.

if you drink it with the right company, it can lead to a profitable relationship.
At least you have a good story to tell your homeless friends by then.

At least we're all on the same page. Buy it, even if you go broke, and enjoy it with the friends you have left.

As a financial advisor, the past few posts have made my eyes begin to bleed...

Says the guy who purchased not one, but two bottles from the 1914 Cache.

We're onto you, buddy...

You're not gonna drink either one of themem, are you? Oh, no, you'll just hang onto them until the cache runs dry, and then flip 'em at an extortionary markup to some poor sap who really rued not getting one in the first place, right? ;) :devil:

I didn't cash in any retirement dollars that will not only take away from retirement, but also increase your tax liability for the year, and be penalized 10% for prematurely taking it out of the account.

One of the worst possible things you can ever do financially is cash out a retirement plan, unless you have absolutely no other means of subsisting. So I recommend he doesn't do such a thing.

And no, I never plan to flip them. From one, about 1/3 will be enjoyed with friends and family on my b-day next weekend, another 1/3 will be available for samples trade, and another 1/3 will be kept in sealed sample bottles to drink between now and the time I open the other bottle in 2014.

Edited by Shabba53

De rigueur and au courant, some might say.

Oscar: Who, me? Wasn't trying to be at all. It's just easier to state the fact simply and quickly than to write a 20 line post on why it would be a bad thing to do.

Some member here have been privy to me trying to explain something about financial planning over a PM, and it tends to get a bit verbose.

Edited by Shabba53

Me or Oscar? I thought it was pretty hep, actually.

I'm not going to cash out my retirement. By the time I would get the check, the cache would probably be sold out anyway. I have three weeks of vacation for which I'll receive a check. Using part of that for a couple of bottles of 1901, and the rest for a cushion until I find another job sounds a lot better.

Holy shit, that's a big check. The check I received for the same reason when I left my job was enough to pay the rent twice and then it was gone.

Edit: And I should mention the rent is very low.

Edited by peridot