JohnC

1914 Pernod Fils Cache

From what I saw in some photos crosby posted awhile ago, he left a spinal needle inserted (caped when not in use) & I assume attached a syringe to it when he wanted a sample.

Good idea too, didn't think about it that way.

It's just that, for me, uncorking such a vintage bottle is part of the ritual, a real joy, and less surgical than using a syringue.

Shabba, I was later thinking about a very small gauge and the fact that the hole will close back right after, but then I remembered the Edouard Pernod bottle in Pontarlier that was seeping because of a really old cork, this things are damn too fragile after a century of tickling a 66° alcohol.

I will personnally tightly re-cork my bottle for better preservation anyway.

I remembered the Edouard Pernod bottle in Pontarlier that was seeping because of a really old cork, this things are damn too fragile after a century of tickling a 66° alcohol.

Good point. I'm not sure of the difference with the higher alcohol content and cork degradation. The bottles I've pulled from weeped just a few drops before closing up. But, at a pre-banprice, that's a ten spot per drop. :cheers:

The thing is, L.S., and Stroller, that is, you see, the thing is, gentlemen, that I was absolutely serious.

I didn't doubt you for a second. I'm happy for you if you did buy one. Unless, I decide to buy another and they're all gone, that is.

Besides, now it won't seem like I'm showing off when I tell you about how great that pre-ban tastes.

You mean, you guys really DID buy one each?

We'll really need to compare tasting notes, then. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

I hear that.

Maybe you should let your tastebuds be the determining factor, assuming there are still any left by then, that is.

Edited by Absomphe

I fought the urge to buy one due to my limited experience. I know I'd appreciate the contents but not sure I would do so as much as a seasoned absintheur may. As far as trades go, I'd be happy to trade dollars for smaller amounts.

You all have read my reviews, you see how much I know. :)

My concern is that I may be a bit paranoid about having something so very wonderful in a glass bottle in my house. I'm a clumsy fellow. You've seen the type, big feet, stagger when drinking and post on forums while inebriated.

I know I drool when reading reviews of quality drink. The wife tells me.

My hat's off to those that took the plunge. I look forward to drooling over the reviews. ;)

:cheers:

'Tis the season..

Thanks for posting the link here. It is a real education for me, and I'm amazed at how much I've learned about absinthe in such a short time. That's what happens when you study with the right kind of folks. :)

That was a very interesting and informative piece. It sure would make for a thin wallet but I'd bet the rewards are outstanding.

I'm anxious to read the reviews.

:cheers:

I had to step up and order a bottle. I was excited and a little apprehensive when I first decided to limit out my credit card, but after a few days and after reading Oxy's post I am now absolutely thrilled! Plus when you add the fact that I just ordered a bottle of the Jade 1901 and Emile Rouge, it's apparent I must have crossed a line somewhere over to the dark green side. To think, I only tasted my first absinthe less than 2 months ago, and I thought I was obsessed before!

If I can bear to open the "older" bottle I will post some tasting thoughts and pics.

Edited by Lister